A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a normal zipper into a seperatable one?  (Read 465 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

life_of_infamy56
Janet! Dr.Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky!

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2007 05:12:45 PM »

Is it possible???

I'm thinking, pry off the little metal thingie that holds each half together, but what next? My idea is to do a bunch of tight stitches around each end to substitute the little plastic thingies, but I don't know if that'll let it come apart easily/at all.. it really helps to understand this if you look at each kind of zipper lol.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007 05:23:34 PM by life_of_infamy56 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The sky is blue and righteous in every direction. The sun is total and burning and just there in front. We're on top of the clouds and this is a beautiful day forever. -Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor
indigo flower girl
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007 07:36:40 AM »

Well... I think I understand what you're saying, but I've never heard of anyone doing that.  I'd say just give it a shot.  Or invest in a separating zipper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007 12:31:47 AM »

Yes you'll be able to pull them apart, but if you are thinking of using it like a zip-up hoodie zip, then I'd say no - you need that plastic piece at the bottom to be able to do it up again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miamaria
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007 03:18:22 AM »

It will probably be very difficult to close it again unless you come up with something stiffer to put on the ends. I think stitching would be too soft and not smooth enough. I think I would try to find a tiny piece of plastic to sew/glue on the end. I've never tried this exact operation though, so take it as a suggestion.

(And also, this is my first post, so hi guys! )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
life_of_infamy56
Janet! Dr.Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007 04:09:26 PM »

*ahem*... this post was made in a moment of not-so-clear thinking, and when I sat down and seriously considered it, I realized that it wouldn't be possible because the little plastic thingies have to lock together to close the zip and even if you'd be able to zip it up again, there would be nothing to stop it from coming apart at the bottom if they were pulled apart ever so slightly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The sky is blue and righteous in every direction. The sun is total and burning and just there in front. We're on top of the clouds and this is a beautiful day forever. -Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Leprechaun
How to Use a Pencil for Drawing
How to Create Caricatures
How to Draw a Lily
How to Create a Realistic Eye Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...