A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chuck Palahniuk Signed Survivor tote bag  (Read 4876 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

life_of_infamy56
Janet! Dr.Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky!

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2007 04:49:32 PM »

I made this bag months ago but have been too lazy to post it, and lately I decided to stop neglecting this site so here I am =]

Ok, anyone that knows me knows that I am a TOTAL Chuck Palahniuk geek. so when I found out that he was coming to Toronto to do a reading/signing for his latest book Rant, this bag HAD to be made. The quote is from the book Survivor, and it says 'what we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized". the thread is cornflower blue (supposedly the color cornflower blue appears in each of his books), and the airplane is from the cover of the book. everything is sewn on using zombie stitches, cuz they're awesome and only now do I make the connection between the zombie stitches and the part of the book where they talk about zombies.. lol subliminal artyness.

I bought the brown tote bag at a garage sale for a dollar, I believe.. the patterned fabrics used here were remnants and the white fabric is iron-on patches which I stupidly realized I couldn't iron onto anything after I used a transfer on it, unless I wanted to melt it to my iron.. The airplanes are my first (and so far only, but that's gonna change) attempt at using transfer paper. honestly, the pictures don't do it justice.

without further ado:

^*squee*  Grin
(P.S. the stuff he wrote/stamped into the book isn't weird if you know what the book's about.. I swear it makes sense Wink )

I posted it on The Cult (the official CP forum) and people seemed to like it, and I've gotten tons of compliments in person.

and if anyone is looking for something to do in the summer (or anytime at all) pick up one of his books. life-changing isn't the best word, but it's the first that comes to mind. (bonus points and undying love for anyone that gets that reference). I promise, you won't be disappointed. just read Fight Club. please?

comments, criticisms, cookies all welcome.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007 04:52:53 PM by life_of_infamy56 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The sky is blue and righteous in every direction. The sun is total and burning and just there in front. We're on top of the clouds and this is a beautiful day forever. -Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor
haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007 04:58:44 PM »

That's cool.

How are the words sewn on? Hmm. I'm not sure I'm asking that question correctly... I sewed some words onto a bag and after a while, they started being pulled apart...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
life_of_infamy56
Janet! Dr.Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007 05:06:53 PM »

for the words I just doubled up the thread so that I'd be sewing with 4 threads at once.. you know what I mean? when I was done each letter I'd tie a tiny tight knot and put a dot of this stuff that keeps fabric from fraying on it to protect the knot.

and thanks =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The sky is blue and righteous in every direction. The sun is total and burning and just there in front. We're on top of the clouds and this is a beautiful day forever. -Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor
ms.cate
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007 05:26:02 PM »

i love the embroidery, really great stitching!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007 05:54:41 PM »

Hahahah I got the reference  Wink That's why I had to comment.
Nice work with the bag and that's awesome that he signed it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
katywankenobi
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007 05:54:51 PM »

ah i love this! i am a huge palahniuk fan too, survivor is my favorite book, i don't know why more people don't read him. that is so cool that he signed your bag too! well, cool isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind. i love the airplane image, this is just awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daiquiri
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007 06:14:48 PM »

I think ze quote is from "Choke."
I haven't read Survivor yet because it isn't at any of the county's libraries, and I have no monies to buy it. But that doesn't make your bag any less awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007 07:13:11 PM »

im highly jealous!
great job by the way
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
poprock6903
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007 07:13:30 PM »

This freaking rocks! <3 Chuck Palahniuk. I've read all his books. Great job! And Choke is what your reference is from. I swear I didn't look at the other people's answers.  Grin Much love for CP and your awesome work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lawnwranglergirl

On the run from Johnny Law...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007 06:40:31 PM »

What a great bag, and a great quote to boot ("Survivor" is my favorite Chuck book)!  I met Chuck at a book signing when "Diary" came out.  He stamped my books with a stamp that was supposedly from a men's prison in New Jersey - LOL!  I wish I had thought to have him autograph a patch - such a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

between the click of the light and the start of the dream...

Movie reviews, pop cultural ramblings and baseball rants:
http://rushmoregirl.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Design Strategist Builds Creative Skills
What Makes Product Design Work Meaningful
Design Week Columbus 2012
Waterfall Swing Designed in Brooklyn
Creating the Art of Pe Lang with Machines
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...