A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zimmerman KAL??  (Read 8651 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

red_phooka
Geek

I <3 Zombies!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2007 03:36:09 PM »

I have recently (after years of knitting - I know - I'm a late bloomer, ok?) discovered the wonder and magic that is *drumroll please*
Elizabeth Zimmerman!
And I've got to say - I'm all over her work like, well, a wet blanket!
I'm starting up my Christmas knitting by the end of this month, and I have found a number of her "recipes" to be perfect!
Would anyone like to knit along with me?
I'm starting off with the seamless Saddle-Shoulder pullover from Knitting without Tears for my younger brother. I also plan on making a sweater for my other younger brother and a ski sweater for my little sister. It's going to be a hectic next few months, especially because my one brother is an XL! Lots of knitting!
Anyways, long story short (too late!) I would be pleased and honoured if anyone would like to join in! Anything by or inspired by EZ. This is not limited to sweaters by any means - I will probably be knitting some hats in the coming months as well. Newbs and Zimmermaniacs alike!
Sooo. . . whaddya say? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammimag
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007 04:14:19 PM »

I am very, very tempted.  I want to make my first sweater and I just can't decide what to make. On my wim list is the Seamless Yoke Sweater. 

Hey by the time I get to the yoke maybe I will even venture into some color work?  I've also considered adding lace trim to the bottom of the sweater and the sleeves.

Now I just need to determine if a yarn purchase is in the budget right now Tongue 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007 07:11:12 PM »

I would LOVE too (I am also late to the party and have never knit anything with her guidance).  However, I need to finish my cardi, a vest for a student, and I want to do the tangled yoke cardi first.  I'll lurk and hopefully get an idea of which I want to do and join a little bit later!  Good luck and post lots of pics!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
prettyfloralbonnet
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007 07:36:53 PM »

Ok here's a silly question, whats a good website to look at her stuff?  And are there any free online patterns by chance?  if not I'd still like to look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I used to be strictly a yarn girl but now I'm teaching myself to sew.  Help! Smiley

My family's crafty blog: http://chimpsgomoo.wordpress.com
red_phooka
Geek

I <3 Zombies!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007 07:52:13 PM »

Sammimag: C'monnnnn. . .c'monnnnn. . .!  Wink
Juliesnider: Here's hoping we see you in the future!  Cheesy
Pretty Floral Bonnet: A reference to Firefly? If so . . . *quickly and nervously hugs*  Grin
http://zimmermaniacs.blogspot.com/ seems to be a great place to check out a wide variety of her patterns and construction concepts.
I don't know of any online patterns, but most libraries seem to have her books, as they are a staple. Mine had Knitting without Tears and Knitter's Almanac (So much in both these books to work with!) and it's not a great library for knitting material.
I am so taken by this woman's work. Everything I see I want to try - she was really revolutionary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midwifemamma
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007 05:57:16 AM »

I've been wanting to do a baby surprise jacket for awhile, just trying to figure out how I can make the sleeves longer.  Just FYI - all her books were 40% off at the knitpicks summer book sale, which I think is still going on...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrjunior
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007 06:02:36 AM »

I've been wanting to do a baby surprise jacket for awhile, just trying to figure out how I can make the sleeves longer.  Just FYI - all her books were 40% off at the knitpicks summer book sale, which I think is still going on...

there are instructions here for making the sleeves longer.  and you can definitely use this method to lengthen them without doing the blouson cuffs.  just keep knitting till they're the length you want.  and maybe do a row on each where you decrease 9 sts, to mimic the original instructions/ pattern with a smaller cuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
Little My
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007 06:40:09 AM »

I just finished a baby surprise jacket (haven't done the seams yet, of course  Tongue) and it was so much fun to knit!  As soon as I finish a few (dozen) WIPs, I want to do another.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrjunior
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007 07:29:54 AM »

meant to add: i'm knitting bsj's and february baby sweaters for my favorite twins!  i already have one of each done.  i'm doing the bsj's in homespun so they're kinda big and might end up as christmas presents or 2nd birthday presents, but the fbs's are beautiful.  i'm doing them in hand-dyed knitpicks bare superwash worsted and i think they'll be just the right size for the girls' birthday next month!  i'm going to try to steal the babies tomorrow to try their sweaters on them (i don't think they'll tell their mom they're getting them!), so i'll take pics if i get the chance.

i'm also EZing the urban aran cardigan for the bf, and i've got yarn for a seamless hybrid for myself.  not to mention a dozen other non-EZ projects.  i seriously need to stay off the internets so i stop adding more and more projects to my ever-growing list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
prettyfloralbonnet
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007 08:29:59 AM »

Pretty Floral Bonnet: A reference to Firefly? If so . . . *quickly and nervously hugs*  Grin
http://zimmermaniacs.blogspot.com/ seems to be a great place to check out a wide variety of her patterns and construction concepts.
I don't know of any online patterns, but most libraries seem to have her books, as they are a staple.

Good catch!  Hello fellow browncoat Cheesy  thanks for the link, I may head out to the library today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I used to be strictly a yarn girl but now I'm teaching myself to sew.  Help! Smiley

My family's crafty blog: http://chimpsgomoo.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Two Special Occasions Hairstyles for Curly Hair
Half Up Half Down Hairstyle for Curly Hair
Hair How To: The Bardot Ponytail
Nicole Richie on Her Hairstyling
Cameron Diaz on Her New Short Haircut
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...