A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Tree with real tree branches  (Read 3484 times)
Tags for this thread: cat_condo , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Flip Macoy
« on: August 16, 2007 11:46:58 AM »

I just finished this cat tree. My cats Love it! Especially once I rubbed it with catnip.

I didn't think to take many pictures of it during the process, but you can see 2 finished pics and 1 almost done which shows the tree before I finished gluing down all the carpet pieces.

I found some tutorials online which helped:

http://www.pandecats.com/x/building_a_cat_tree.htm
http://amby.com/cat_site/cattree.html
http://www.annelisabeth.com/oldsite/cat2.htm

otherwise I never would have known about Sono tube which is heavy duty cardboard used to pour concrete into. That's what I used for the 2 shelves and the bottom cubby hole.

I didn't follow the tutorials directions much, just used them as general guides. So it turned out the hardest part for me was attaching the large natural branch leg to the base. I turned the base upside down and screwed through the base and into the leg, but it was difficult to line up the leg that way. So when it was time to attach the sisal wrapped leg to the base, i first used an L shaped bracket from the top side. The bracket wouldn't be enough to hold that leg on it's own. But it was enough that I could then turn the whole tree upside down and screw the sisal leg on knowing it was lined up in the right spot.

I didn't have much luck finding cheap carpet scraps. So I ended up buying a piece at Home Depot which was sold precut and wrapped as Indoor/Outdoor carpetting for about $15. It is much thinner than regular carpet which turned out to be easier, I think, to hot glue to the Sono Tube.

Cat trees in stores are so expensive, so although my supplies cost me about $40, it was totally worth it. If I make another I'd like to build in somehow a little potholder for a plant. Has anyone seen something like that?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011 09:26:08 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HootHootHope
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007 11:20:32 PM »

i love the real branches!  these things always look so tacky but yours is great!  fortunately my cat is still a kitten and is throughly entertained by just trash on the floor... but i may have to make one of these sometime soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amyb444
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007 10:00:18 PM »

I'm not sure how to say this so that it doesn't sound stupid, but this looks like something that would really excite me if I was a cat. I would feel like I was this big tough outdoors cat who had conquered a whole tree, not realizing that fancy carpeted perches are not a part of real trees! Do your cats have their front claws? Because if they do, I would love to know if they choose to scratch the real tree or the scratch post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flip Macoy
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007 11:01:48 AM »

Both my cats have their claws. I've noticed they mainly do the scratching on the carpet of the perches, and use the sisal wrapped post to climb up to the top perch. I think the tree branches are too thin to climb up.

I think if I made this again I might use even thicker tree branches or maybe cedar ones. Cedar posts with the bark on are kind of shaggy so they might be better for scratching.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sweetberry
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007 03:29:04 AM »

Really cool tree!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diycrafter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007 04:35:18 PM »

I think our two kitties would just love your cat tree. Would also give them a good place to play as they chase each other around playing games.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kate conspiracy
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007 06:55:52 PM »

That is very cool! I like the real branches. We just built something for our cat today - wrapping the sisal around those tall posts can be a bit of a pain, but the cats love climbing up it. Yours looks much more attractive than all of that pet furniture they sell at the stores that's just OSB only partially covered in carpet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How The Light Gets In 2012: What Happens at a Philosophy Festival?
How The Light Gets In 2012: Who Has Impacted Your Personal Philosophy?
Salman Rushdie and Christopher Hitchens Discuss Hitch 22
Harold Bloom on Shakespeare, Strangeness, and Meaning
Aaron Sorkin Shares His Writing Process
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...