A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Slotted Wallet  (Read 79984 times)
Tags for this thread: wallet , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2011 08:42:32 AM »

I sort of freehanded this a while back, having figured out the formula when I didn't manage to get a hold of the tutorial again... It's the accordion style section that's the trick. I'll try to explain while we wait for the tutorial to show up. Smiley

The width should be the same as the long side of a credit card plus about an inch (that's including seam allowance, in my case). The length is something like this, also including seam allowance, in my case:

2''+2''+2.5''+2''+2.5''+2''+2.5''+3.5''
where you fold on each + sign. The first fold makes the wrong sides face each others, the second makes right sides face eachothers, if you know what I mean... the first 2'' is the face of the first pocket, then it folds down 2'' to create the inside along with the following 2.5''... the extra 0.5 gives the stairway effect. Folded up, the bottom of the first 2'' and the "top" of the last 3.5'' should meet up along the bottom edge.

To increase your wallet's life, put some thin but stable interfacing on the first 2'' segment, because the opening and closing will be wearing your fabric down a bit if it doesn't have any support.

Top stitch along the top of each pocket to give it some stability.

Now put whatever closure part you want to put on the front pocket before sewing anything more together, because you probably don't want it poking through to your cards.. so attach that on the face of your first 2'' bit. (through the interfacing, but not the second 2'' segment, just the first one!)

Then you sandwich your folded up accordion between two pieces of fabric that are the same width and have a length that's 7''. (really it's 3.5'' plus however long you need your flap to be, but it's easier to just make it twice as long as the height of the pockets, then you can trim it afterwards.) You'll want to put interfacing on one of these pieces as well - if you put it on both, you may have difficulties turning it later, so I just put interfacing on the outside fabric if I use a snap button that goes straight through.

Put your pocket accordion with the back (the 3.5'' side) on the face of the fabric that you want to be the inside of your flap, raw edges lining up along the bottom, and then put your outside fabric on top of this, right side facing the pockets as well. Sew along the long sides and the bottom, leaving the top open for turning. ...and turn!

Now you just need to attach a closure to the top of the flap, lining up with your button on the pockets (make sure it'll close tight over the pocket accordion, but not so tight that you're not able to close it once your cards are in) and then sew the open edge closed, trimming it to the length you want it to be.

And yes, my way of doing this means that the cards in the frontmost pocket will be sticking up a little more than their brethren, because the first pocket will be sacrificed to the gods of seam allowance. You can see that effect on this piece.

Just add seam allowance to the first 2'' and the last 3.5'' (and the length of the back and front pieces) if that bothers you.

...did that make sense?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011 08:44:58 AM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2011 10:28:12 AM »

Yes it does, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

happyfrog
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2011 11:11:55 AM »

YES!!  you rock!

very close!

5" wide; 21 1/4" long is the pattern piece

then seam allowance (5/8" - i use bernina foot for seam allowance size)
then:

2 inches
2 inches
2.5 inches
2 inches
2.5 inches
3 inches
3.25 inches
3.25 inches

fold it up accordian style.  Smiley  then lay on 6" x 6" fabrics (2 pieces  one with interfacing).  stitch around, then clip corners and flip.  

i promise to make a new tute - i have no idea where the original pics went - i looked in all my discs and can't find them anywhere.  Sad  but i want a new wallet anyway, the froggy one from this tute is still going strong actually and i still use it but it's getting frayed around the edges from being laundered often.

edited to delete any reference to a picture.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011 12:37:38 PM by happyfrog » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
IdlersDesign

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2011 11:22:42 AM »

I also would love to see the pics, so I can give this wallet a try. I desperately need a new one  Roll Eyes
The finished wallets look so nice and compact!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
craftycakelady
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2011 05:41:04 PM »

Wow!  Thanks for the responses and the dimensions, this is great!  And thank you HappyFrog for putting this here in the first place.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beeshebags
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2011 07:15:43 AM »

I won't be able to do it for a few days, but I believe I have this tutorial saved, so therefore would have the pics still....let me know if you'd like me to look for them.

Hugs
Naomi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IdlersDesign

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2011 02:17:05 PM »

I won't be able to do it for a few days, but I believe I have this tutorial saved, so therefore would have the pics still....let me know if you'd like me to look for them.

Hugs
Naomi

If you still have them I'd indeed be interested!  Cheesy
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
sbramlage
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2012 01:52:27 PM »

Links did not work for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2012 01:50:34 AM »

happyfrog, you could just edit the initial post and delete the pictures, saying that ther'e gone, and copy-pasting the instruction you wrote like two posts up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
sbramlage
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2012 06:19:04 AM »

The pics would be helpful to me too.  Thanks.
Serita
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Aloo Shaak with the Meghwal Tribe in Gujarat, India
How to Make Bacon Vodka
How to Make Spicy Indian Breakfast Pancakes
How to Make a Pork Neck Curry with Mango Salsa
Sichuan Chicken Thighs Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...