A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swapping already swapped items  (Read 13226 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

A2JC4life
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010 06:05:28 AM »

I think it's totally unrealistic to believe that people will keep and continue to accumulate everything they've ever received, even if they absolutely love every single item.  (Seriously, how many of us have infinite space for storing things?)  So after a while, and after a number of swaps, it just becomes necessary to let some things go.  And, also realistically, no matter how hard I try, I am not going to hit the bullseye on every item in every swap package to every swap partner.  So I would just as soon have people "downsize" by passing items on to someone who will use, appreciate, and love them.  As long as the listing doesn't say something like, "I got this in a swap and it's really ugly." lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lunaholic
armed with scissors

*meow*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2010 05:09:33 AM »

I personally quite never gave away something I recieved from a swap or gift, neither handmade or purchased.. It occurred that I recieved a Disney wallet and some hello kitty and winnieh the poo stuff... I don't like those brands. So I contacted my friend or swapper telling them that I'd like to give them to others since I wouldn't use them.. usually they werenn't feeling bad so that's fine.. Also with some handmade stuff, I recieved keychains and such in form of donuts, hamburgers and such (neither do I like those foody things.. don't like to wear food...).. and a friend of me liked it, so I gave it to her.. the other part knew I gave it to my friend, and my friend knew it wasn't something created by me..  but everything was fine..

Instead, some other people told me about giving away things I put as extra's and I didn't have problems, neither giving away things I made for that personas, since the times it occured I've always been contacted.

I think if someone recieves something and for any circumstance they don't use it, it's better to give it away to people who might, or really enjoy it... but always telling the former part that the item is being given away, and telling the other part that it is something from a previous swap...

But what I'm absolutely contrary with, is recycled items.. and with recycled I mean things that already were used.... that have the signs of having been used... that shouldn't being given away, again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2010 01:32:41 AM »

Lunaholic, I'd disagree with you in certain circumstances about the recycled items.  For example I collect old and vintage cookbooks and women's manuals.  If anyone ever sent me something along those lines, even if it were obviously used and pre-loved, I'd still greatly appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jemimah
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2010 10:15:33 PM »

Yes, the recycled thing very much depends on what it is. I'm very happy to get some recycled things too.

I quite often mention in my note with a swap package that I'm happy for people to re-gift or re-swap the things I send.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2010 01:15:00 PM »

a lot of the mods collect vintage items--obviously very used and loved and sometimes worn out!  I like to include old plates, hats, purses or posters if the person likes those sort of things...we even swap for worn and used clothes! ha ha

I love wearing my skirt worn by batgirl or a scarf worn by lapoli...I think the key is to know a bit about who you are swapping with--communication is key...and, I would hope all of my partners are honest with me...if they hate Disney, they need to tell me... (I personally do not like amigurumi, but I received one in a swap and loved it!  so, there are exceptions to every rule! Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2010 10:14:13 PM »

Yes, the recycled thing very much depends on what it is. I'm very happy to get some recycled things too.

I quite often mention in my note with a swap package that I'm happy for people to re-gift or re-swap the things I send.

I think that's extremely thoughtful and forward thinking of you!  I think more of us should start doing that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2012 11:47:03 PM »

I stopped doing swaps a while ago because I don't have time for them and got really shafted on an international swap.  But I still like to go through the galleries to see what people make and right there is something *I* made years ago in a swap, sent to someone else.  There's no mistaking it because I modified the pattern.

That really burns my britches, you know?  In a swap, you are supposed to make something yourself for your swap partner.  If I knew that you were sending me stuff that someone else made especially for you, I would be offended.  Forget re-gifting, this is a site where we post pictures of the stuff we get, and it's a slap in the face to the person who made it to pass it off as your own.  If you get something you don't like, give it away to your kid or to charity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
donniesgirl
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2012 06:56:51 AM »

I didn't think that was allowed.  Have you contacted the Help Desk?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2012 08:52:18 AM »

I'm sorry that happened to you. We hope that everyone who re-gifts something will let the original sender know, and also give proper credit when sending. It's not something we specifically disallow, though, because wouldn't you rather your item made with love find a home where it's appreciated?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2012 10:45:15 AM »

I've received an extra in a swap that was not made by that craftster, but it was an extra and since I knew someone else had made it I don't think I posted it in the gallery. Didn't want to hurt any feelings... But it did come to good use with me so I'm glad it was re-gifted!

It's better to be honest about it, in my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Burger of the Week: Football Fans Devour Opponents
Anita Lo: Serving Innovation
Recipes From Across America
Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Roasted Corn Salsa Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...