A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 307,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swapping already swapped items  (Read 16527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gavagai
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010 04:40:13 AM »

This is an interesting thread and I need some help from you guys. I have been in loads of swaps, organized and personal, and so I have lots of lovely things that I got in swaps, but quite a few of them I have realized that I just don't use. I have been lousy at keeping swap journals, so most of them I do not know who made. Now we are moving to another flat and I need to cut down on stuff I don't use regularily. If I were to trade these things away on craftster (maybe in the STS swap or Offer What You Have Swap) they would go to people who loved them and would use them. The only alternative I could really think about is to throw them away or possibly give to goodwill. I don't have enough friends who would appreciate craftster stuff and also they would probably say they have too much stuff to get any more too.

When I started writing this post, I didn't think of the option to give the things to goodwill. That could be an idea to follow, but still, I really like the idea of the things staying within craftster more. But judging from what people say in discussions like this that would probably be a bad idea, right? especially since I do not know who made quite a lot of the stuff.

But just a thought... In what way is it less respectful to let the things go to another craftster who would appreciate them than to give them to goodwill or throw them away?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010 08:39:02 AM »

This is an interesting thread and I need some help from you guys. I have been in loads of swaps, organized and personal, and so I have lots of lovely things that I got in swaps, but quite a few of them I have realized that I just don't use. I have been lousy at keeping swap journals, so most of them I do not know who made. Now we are moving to another flat and I need to cut down on stuff I don't use regularily. If I were to trade these things away on craftster (maybe in the STS swap or Offer What You Have Swap) they would go to people who loved them and would use them. The only alternative I could really think about is to throw them away or possibly give to goodwill. I don't have enough friends who would appreciate craftster stuff and also they would probably say they have too much stuff to get any more too.

When I started writing this post, I didn't think of the option to give the things to goodwill. That could be an idea to follow, but still, I really like the idea of the things staying within craftster more. But judging from what people say in discussions like this that would probably be a bad idea, right? especially since I do not know who made quite a lot of the stuff.

But just a thought... In what way is it less respectful to let the things go to another craftster who would appreciate them than to give them to goodwill or throw them away?

Hmm... Personally, I think I'd use the Advanced Search with my username and a keyword I would naturally use to describe the item.  This would hopefully find my post in the applicable gallery & identify the Craftster that made it.

Also the "All Images By Member" feature to look through all of my photos posts could be a great option.

If I absolutely could not identify the original Craftster of the item, I wouldn't use it for any of the trade swaps (Shop the Swap, for example).  I might be inclined to include it as an "extra" in a package, but with a note that asks the receiver to please not photograph/mention the item in the gallery, as I got it from a swap and cannot recall the creator's name.

I'm interested to see what others think on this one, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010 08:43:28 AM »

I think this is a tough situation. If I saw something I had made for someone up for swap I feel like I would be a little sad, but I would rather it go to someone who can use it/appreciates it than go in the trash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010 02:21:52 PM »

If you go to your own profile, it will list the swaps you've participated in.  It shouldn't be that hard to go to the main link and see who you were partnered with.  That info is usually in the first post!  As for the items, some items should be obvious as to which swap they belonged to just from the subject of the swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gavagai
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010 11:30:59 PM »

If you go to your own profile, it will list the swaps you've participated in.  It shouldn't be that hard to go to the main link and see who you were partnered with.  That info is usually in the first post!  As for the items, some items should be obvious as to which swap they belonged to just from the subject of the swap.

I have been in 77 swaps over the years, and most of them are Offer What You Have Swaps, Ongoing Wish Swaps or Shop the Swap swaps, so I would have to go through a lot of posts. Also, most of those swaps do not have a gallery where the reciever posts pictures of what they get. There should be pictures of the things in some thread, but I know from experience when I have gone back to look that lots of pictures disappear after a year or two (people had them on another server than craftster and they removed them). Anyway, it would be hard (and in some cases impossible) to find all of the creators, so I guess I can't put those things in swaps then, and they will have to go to goodwill or something (still not quite happy about this though). But if I were to find the creator, I should ask them about putting their things in a swap, right?

I don't mean to be disrespectful in any way, quite the opposite. It's just that I have received literally hundreds of items in swaps, and I really can't keep all of them. They are all lovely in their own way and it makes me sad having to smuggle (there is probably a better word in English) them away instead of showing them to you guys and letting you enjoy them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010 07:14:10 AM »

I don't feel you were being disrespectful at all...that's a lot of swaps!  Just thought I'd offer you some ideas on how to find your creators.  Honestly if the swap took place long ago, I wouldn't worry too much if you couldn't contact the creator, but you should definitely credit them if you can. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010 07:37:30 AM »

If there is any community that is more polite and respectful of possibly hurting someone's feelings, I would be surprised!  First of all, you guys are awesome for thinking of even potenitally hurting someone's feelings!

We are all humans and our tastes and circumstances change a lot...what I loved last year or even last month might not be the same as what I love now...

Personally, I just love to make stuff and if the recipient loved it once but needs to move on, then I would rather it be given to someone else!  Once I give something away, I am no longer attached to it...a gift with a string attached is not really a gift, is it? Wink

I was shocked that I got PM's from some lovely members asking if it was ok to put some of the stuff I made years ago up for "sale" or to pass it on...of course, I said "go for it", but it was lovely to be asked! Cheesy

I also tend to purchase items from other members, such as soaps or small cute items that I do not make, to include in swap packages...it did not occur to me that others might think I was re-swapping!  I will make sure I make it clear to the swapper when I do this...this has been an informative thread!

Again, you guys are just so great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marlie2
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2010 01:55:52 PM »

Passing it along doesn't seem so bad, it's good to know that something you worked hard on will still be appreciated by someone it's more suited for. Smiley

The only time something similar to this offended me was after being flaked on in a swap, I saw the items I sent to my partner on another website... for sale...

And asking the original maker if they mind that their item be passed along is a very nice idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2010 04:44:20 PM »

I agree with you Cats, I mean passing it on to someone who will enjoy it is one thing, but selling it...that's pretty tacky, especially if they try to pass it off as their own work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2010 06:27:51 AM »

The only time something similar to this offended me was after being flaked on in a swap, I saw the items I sent to my partner on another website... for sale...

Well, THAT's adding insult to injury. Whoa, I can't even imagine what kind of person it takes to do something like that.  I suppose it's fortunate for me that I don't actually spend a lot of time online shopping because I'd be really mad if something like that happened. I'd most likely spend a decent chunk of time composing nasty notes to the seller, and potentially bringing it up with the site it's listed with, if possible.  When your partner has "paid" for your work with some of their own, I can sort of see it (provided, like retromiad said, they don't claim it as their own work), but when they flaked?  That's just wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...