A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,390
Currently Running With Scissors:
777 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swapping already swapped items  (Read 13020 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovely_gangster
Strawberry Queen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 16, 2007 05:17:02 AM »

I guess I've only really noticed this since the shop the swap swaps have started but lately it seems that in these kinds of swaps, people are offering items with explanations like "received in a swap, but i never use it" or "received in a swap, but it doesn't suit me".

What are people's thoughts on this?  Granted that this may be the case (item didn't suit, wasn't useful etc) I would still personally be upset to see something I had crafted for someone with the intention of them being the recipient, being offered up as a trade for something else.

This is obviously just my opinion. I just wanted to know what other people think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammimag
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007 06:18:59 AM »

Certainly, I would be bummed that I missed the mark on their tastes. I would much rather it get passed onto someone who would like it than languish or spoil their enjoyment of their home because they think they need to keep all thing that are made for them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007 06:41:41 AM »

I agree, if I make something, I'd prefer it to go to somebody who wants it, rather then sit in a closet out of misplaced guilt or something.  Or even worse, thrown out! 

In reality, I don't really mind what anyone does with a gift once I give it, but if it's something like throw it out, I prefer not to know about it.

I WOULD be mad if somebody swapped something I made under the pretense of having made it themselves.  That's just a form of plagiarism.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007 08:00:32 AM »

I was wondering about this, too.  I would probably feel a little bad.  I try to cater the stuff I send to their tastes as best as I can, so it would be disappointing to see something I had made offered up, but I realize that I probably don't always hit the mark.  I think a lot of it depends on how it's worded--giving polite reasons for not wanting/needing it vs. "I don't like it/know what it is" etc.  I agree that I want the things I make to end up with people who really want them, but yeah, I'd probably still have a little twinge.  I would probably also appreciate it if they let me know by pm beforehand so I didn't just randomly run across it.  That's just me, but I think it'd be a polite thing to do and I'm sure it could be phrased as to minimize the hurt feelings. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007 08:20:41 AM »

If it were me, I would privately contact the original crafter and give them a heads up and a nice note before I passed the item on (if it was fairly recent).

I do appreciate that Craftsters ARE adding the notes that they aren't the original crafters, though.  We've had a few cases where folks have NOT added these notes and that's where feelings really get hurt/things get messy.  So please, if you do pass along items you cannot use/don't meet your tastes, be sure to give credit to the original crafter! Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Grieney

rambunctiously soft-spoken

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007 08:38:49 AM »

If it were me, I would privately contact the original crafter and give them a heads up and a nice note before I passed the item on (if it was fairly recent).

I do appreciate that Craftsters ARE adding the notes that they aren't the original crafters, though.  We've had a few cases where folks have NOT added these notes and that's where feelings really get hurt/things get messy.  So please, if you do pass along items you cannot use/don't meet your tastes, be sure to give credit to the original crafter! Smiley Smiley

Can I hear an AMEN! Personally, I don't have a problem with someone reswapping something I've made, as long as they let me know about it.  I've been on the bad end of it - someone didn't like a copy of something on their wists, and then totally forgot who made it - but I felt tons better when it was loved at its ultimate destination.
I don't think we've run into someone in Shop the Swap who said that they made something that they didn't (that didn't get appropriate feedback).  And if they are reswapping something that they don't use, they do it out of love and wanting it to GET used.

ps - Shop the Swap rocks! Everyone join in!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes, my parents know that I'm a hooker

Wist : Blog : Etsy :
LaughingLark
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007 09:12:38 AM »

I would be uncomfortable with putting up something that someone on Craftster had made for me in S.T.S., because I'd be worried about hurting their feelings, even if I did PM them.

On the other hand, if someone wanted to put something that I had made that didn't suit them up for trade, that wouldn't bother me at all. It would be better if they PM'd, though, because that would be better than just  running across it. However,  I'm an old, seasoned crafter who has run a business for a long time, so I have a fairly thick skin. But I would be worried about a new crafter, or someone who really gave the project their all, being hurt by this. So I just wouldn't do it. But that's just me.  Smiley

I guess on a case by case basis, it would be okay to do this, if you know the person who made the object well enough that you can guage how they feel about it. Smiley

So far, I've loved everything I've gotten in swaps, so I guess I've been lucky.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redheadskydiver
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007 10:52:04 AM »

This is one reason why I haven't offered things I've received in other swaps in the shop the swap. I was afraid there might be hurt feelings towards it. Some of it doesn't see as much use at it could but I love everything I've gotten. I also, wouldn't mind though if I saw something I made being offered. I'm pretty confident in the quality of the items I send so it wouldn't offend me, even if I didn't get a PM about it before hand.

On the other hand, I have been contacted in the shop the swap a few times by people "purchasing" items to use/include in packages for other swaps. And I think that's really cool that they like my item enough to gift it to someone else.

Christina
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007 11:09:43 AM »

i gotta chime in here, 'cause i'm one of the swappers who's been re-swappin.

i've been in 70+ swaps, and the nature of swapping is that sometimes you get amazing great stuff and sometimes you don't. or sometimes you get amazing great stuff and then you never use it Sad at least that's what happens to me. i've gotten so many purses/totes/bags i don't actually know what to do with them. i just sold something i swapped and when i first got it it was a request from a personal swap so the person who made it knows i wanted it. and i did! unfortunately, it got here, circumstances changed, i didn't use it then and continue not to use it, and so why shouldn't someone else bask in its beautiful glory? i actually swap the best of my items, the ones i feel so bad for just having them sit there.

edit: CLARIFICATION, when i say i "sold" something i swap, i do NOT mean i'm selling other people's stuff. i "sold" stuff in the Shop the Swap!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007 12:19:24 PM by lasandri » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grieney

rambunctiously soft-spoken

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007 11:11:47 AM »

On the other hand, I have been contacted in the shop the swap a few times by people "purchasing" items to use/include in packages for other swaps. And I think that's really cool that they like my item enough to gift it to someone else.

I do that all the time.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes, my parents know that I'm a hooker

Wist : Blog : Etsy :
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Bay Bridge LED Project
Tapping the Crowd to Design a New Kind of Retirement Home
Dissatisfaction as a Defining Quality of Great Designers
Maya Romanoff Receives a Lifetime Achievement Award
Visit the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...