A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inspired by Poetry Swap (Sign-up CLOSED Send outs 9/24)  (Read 9025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

binta
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007 12:53:21 PM »

i'm in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hopskip09
I am Human

Created to Create

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007 02:48:02 PM »

i just signed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my first swap. I'm quite excited.
hope i get a good partner...ha! I'll be a good one...:-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion, art, friends, life....
http://erinisbetter.blogspot.com/

God's thunder spits fire...and sends the oak trees dancing, a wild dance, whirling; the pelting rain strips their branches. We fall to our knees-we cry out, "glory".
edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007 03:52:27 PM »

welcome to swapping, hopskip - watch out, it is addictive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
binta
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007 09:32:23 PM »

this is my first swap too!

exciting!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarantha
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007 01:25:31 AM »

Ok, my resistance has crumbled to dust ... I'm in  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hallo aus Deutschland! Hi from Germany!
I'm interested in personal swaps - and if you live in Europe, we could swap some fabrics - PM me!

http://www.wists.com/sarantha
taerowyn

Let's hope we're worth it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007 05:15:06 AM »

Ok, my resistance has crumbled to dust ... I'm in  Grin

You should always give into temptation...when it comes to crafting anyway.  Welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty McWist

I am de-stashing a *ridiculous* amount of stamping supplies (mostly Stampin' Up)...PM if you're interested in purchasing or swapping for them
edud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007 05:44:34 AM »

so, i know there was a questionaire and whatnot, but i'm really curious about what kinds of poetry people like here. Smiley

anything. any names. i have read a lot of canadian poetry, like a lot of american stuff, romantic period stuff.

names. titles. anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taerowyn

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007 06:50:55 AM »

so, i know there was a questionaire and whatnot, but i'm really curious about what kinds of poetry people like here. Smiley

anything. any names. i have read a lot of canadian poetry, like a lot of american stuff, romantic period stuff.

names. titles. anything.

Ooooo good question. Suppose it's a little unfair since I get to see everybody's picks already  Grin

I've got a few in common with others, but for the most part these are folks nobody has listed yet:

Matthew Arnold:
Longing - this  is the poem that got me hooked on him
A Wish - Little more morbid, but I still love it

Dylan Thomas:
Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night - A classic. First came across it when my high school orchestra played a piece based off of it.

And then my two absolute favorite poets -

Lawrence Ferlinghetti:
I Am Waiting - My first introduction to the Beat poets
The World Is a Beautiful Place - Possibly my all-time favorite.

Pablo Neruda:
I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love You - Just...gah!  Love this one
Sonnet XVII - And again I say gah!
Every Day You Play - Love this one for the last line, it's just so perfectly descriptive: " I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees."

And now that I've pulled this together, I'm totally copying and pasting it into my own questionaire Grin

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007 06:59:52 AM by taerowyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty McWist

I am de-stashing a *ridiculous* amount of stamping supplies (mostly Stampin' Up)...PM if you're interested in purchasing or swapping for them
edud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007 08:44:44 AM »

ooo! we have similar tastes. i'm going to check some of those out. i hadn't done a cataloguing of my poetry tastes until this swap, so i tried to limit myself for the questionaire.

i tend to forget about the 1800s because i'm not a fan of all the angst that comes into the writing of that time, but Matthew Arnold is a good one. i like his criticism too. i wanted to throw something in about the beats but i haven't touched in with them lately. the canadian poet george bowering was my half-assed segway to the poetry of that time period, and in university i spent some time looking into the 'tish' poets (very academic-like, but i think they like to think of themselves as the canadian beats).

i was going to write neruda on my questionaire! did i? i didn't feel like i deserved to, i don't know him well enough.

i think you would probably like Rumi. i find that his stuff is best put in context, but it is really easy and forward-moving. and have you read Leonard Cohen? (i know, i know, i was just dissing angst...) although the person who is distributing his copyrighted works online spelled "monasteries" wrong, here is a link to a classic:

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/poem.html#monosteries

THIS ROCKS   Logged
taerowyn

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007 09:03:39 AM »

Ooooo I had no idea Cohen was a poet as well. My be-all, end-all favorite song is his Hallelujah, so I guess it should come as no surprise that a man that writes lyrics like that also does poetry.

And yes, Rumi is great...love Khalil Gibran as well...just, as you said, trying to limit myself  Cheesy

And ohmigod the angsty-mcangst. I've got a book of Arnold's poems and I have to admit, it gets overwhelming after awhile.

I'm actually entertained that I'm doing this swap. I'm more scientifically minded and hated studying poetry in school (except Lawrence Ferlinghetti, but that was actually in an American Studies course rather than an English course). I actually came up with the idea of the swap beacuse I recently got into Neruda and was surprised to find I liked reading poetry. But as I thought about it, I realized that there are any number of poets that I like reading, I just couldn't escape the memories of disecting poems in Lit classes...It's amazing how some Lit classes can completely kill your appreciation for certain parts of literature (know there's a classic novel or two that I'll, unfortunately, never be able to truly appreciate again).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007 09:07:27 AM by taerowyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty McWist

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Fashion Trends: Jackets And Blazers
4 Unexpected Ways to Wear Plaid
The Perfect Presents to Please Any Stylish Mom
The Right Fit: There Is A Bra For Every Body
How to Rock the Trench Coat Trend for Fall 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...