A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need a recipe for a nighthawk-themed potluck  (Read 654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2007 08:11:39 PM »

The common nighthawk is a threatened bird here in New Hempshire.  I participated in a monitoring program this summer, and we are having a potluck to celebrate next week.  We are supposed to bring something nighthawk or bird themed.  I'm totally at a loss... they nest on gravel roofs and eat insects...  I know they make pebble candy, but I want to bring something that isn't a desert.
If all else fails, I'll probably just make those banana-chocolate chip peanut butter frosted muffins.  I can put sprinkles on and say they're ants.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007 09:33:26 AM by emkay » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007 04:25:19 PM »

I have a recipe that I copied out of a cookbook a long time ago.  I've never actually made it -- but you could probably change it to fit your tastes and it would still work with the theme.  It's for Chinese noodles and the recipe title in the book was "Ants Climbing a Tree." 

2 T soy sauce
2 T dry sherry
2/3 c. chicken or vegetable broth (minus a T or two if you're using regular spaghetti)
4 oz cellophane noodles (could substitute linguine or spaghetti)
1 T peanut oil
1/3 c thinly sliced scallions
2 tsp chili paste with garlic
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/2 lb vegetarian "ground beef" (could substitute browned ground beef)
1/2 c canned water chestnuts, drained

Stir together soy sauce, sherry, and broth.  Place noodles in large bowl, cover with boiling water, and let stand 15 minutes.  Drain very well and cut into 2" long pieces.  (If you're using regular noodles, cook them per package directions, rinse them, then cut them.)  Heat oil in wok.  Add scallions, chili paste, and ginger.  Cook, stirring constantly, for 10 seconds.  Add veggie "beef" and cook 2 minutes.  Stir soy sauce mixture and add to wok.  Heat to simmer and add noodles and water chestnuts.  Reduce heat to maintain simmer and cook, covered, 3-4 minutes until liquid is almost absorbed.  (A little less time if you're using regular noodles.)  Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. 

You could also make "potato nests".  Not nighthawk-themed, but definitely bird-themed.

Good luck thinking of a dish to bring -- I'll let you know if I think of anything else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007 10:01:29 PM »

That sounds really good.  I wonder why it's called Ants Climbing a Tree?  Even if I don't make it for next week, I will some other time!  I like the potato nests idea, too, I think I can work with that one.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007 10:16:24 PM »

Glad to help!  If you make the recipe, can you let me know how it turned out?  It's been in my collection for years but I've never had all of the ingredients on hand at the same time.  This page has a similar recipe, and says that the name comes from a "supposed resemblance" to ants climbing thin branches.  ::shrugs::  Some people have better imaginations than I do.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
alwaysnewproject
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007 07:17:10 AM »

Isn't there a comic book character named Nighthawk? You could make a cake with its design on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am squeezing the Disney magic right now.
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007 12:10:24 PM »

What about deviled eggs? Or bird's nest cupcakes [I know you said you didn't want to do dessert, but just as another option.] Frost a cupcake with whatever frosting you like, sprinkle with toasted coconut and use jelly beans or peanut m&m's as "eggs".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Dressed Celebs at the Coachella Music Festival
Scarlett Johansson Heats Up in Versace at The Avengers Premiere
How to Make the Perfect Denim Cutoffs
Music Festival 101: Everything You Need For Coachella
Tips from Lauren Luke: What to Wear
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...