A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sukey, Whose Title Is Under Construction *EDIT: New painting added!*  (Read 935 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« on: August 15, 2007 06:20:37 PM »

*Scroll down for the finished Elspeth!*

This is part of a sibset* with another painting (the as of yet unfinished "Ghostly Elspeth, Who Is, Unfortunately, Dead") - at first I really disliked it but now I'm really happy with how it turned out, in the end. I'm in love with names and I'm compiling a big list of my "old-fashioned" favourites for just this kind of work (since girls are all I draw I might as well name them!). I think I've decided on Sukey for this one (as in, "Polly put the kettle on, etc etc, Sukey take it off again, etc etc") - Elspeth was always definite but I wasn't so sure about this one, so it's liable to change. I'm still working on a title (maybe "Sukey, When She Was More Alive" or something. Although Elspeth is definitely dead, and seems aware of it in her portrait - Sukey doesn't...I'll keep you updated.)

No scans yet, if I can get a good one tomorrow I'll upload it.

Close up with Ghostly Elspeth so far:

Sukey is very much mixed media, more so than Elspeth - watercolour background, oil painted portrait, ink (painted, not a pen - oils are so difficult) outlines.

Should I add something to the background? I'm not sure if I like it simple or if it's missing something - I wanted it a bit like an old fashioned portrait in front of that mint and grey "wallpaper". What do you think? Maybe I'll just give the wallpaper some more definition or something, or maybe give her a shadow? Or should I just leave it?
There's some progress shots on my blog too, if you're interested.
Sorry for the rambling, heh.

What do you think?  Smiley

*I picked up this word from baby name forums  Lips sealed I mean pair...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007 01:39:37 PM by sirensrising » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
SharonFish
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007 06:39:20 PM »

I like this a lot. It's got a nice strong graphic feel to it, so if you do give her a drop shadow, I would keep it very simple and maybe a bit stylized. My other thought would be to add some very thin black lines to the wallpaper to continue with the general outliniy-ness of the image. Or maybe not black but a darker version of the green to keep it from competing with the subject.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raycheezy

Patches are my happiness and my hippyness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007 06:40:09 PM »

Those are wonderful. I love the mixed media in Sukey. It gives her flavor. I also love the way you describe whether or not they are dead, as though they are deciding. It reminds me of a friend who talks to his food as he makes it. It's a good thing, in case I didn't make that clear   Wink
I like Sukey the way she is. She is the center of attention, with the background as simple as it is. If you added too much to it, she might be overshadowed slightly. Just my opinon, though. Wonderful work! You make me wish I could draw/paint/anything 2-D. I'm stuck with the 3-D stuff....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I LOVE personal swaps! If you see something I made that you like, and have anything fun or interesting or silly, tell me.
sirensrising
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007 06:49:42 PM »

Thanks lovelies!  Cheesy
One of the things I was thinking was to maybe try and wash or outline the wallpaper in the watered down black ink, to make it look more old or something, but on the other hand this way it looks very "Mixed Media"-y - I'm still not sure. I also like it simple with her as the focus, and the graphic element, so if do add anything I'll be keeping it simple, definitely.

RayCheezy, "stuck" with the 3D stuff?! How could that possibly be a bad thing! I wish I could do more 3D things. And talking to food is obviously a good thing, I understand completely  Grin

I'm glad you like it/them and thanks for the lovely comments and ideas!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007 06:59:51 PM by sirensrising » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
raycheezy

Patches are my happiness and my hippyness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007 07:00:55 PM »

I've always wished I could draw, that's all. I have a talent for ceramics and sewing, but I've never been able to manage painting, or drawing, or even embroidery. I collect pictures. I just wish I could make them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I LOVE personal swaps! If you see something I made that you like, and have anything fun or interesting or silly, tell me.
goldandapel
an agency ov chaos

mixed media? OMNIMEDIA!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007 07:01:11 PM »

i like sukey just as she is. i think a plainer background goes well with her detail and darker colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dear universe: min rakastan sinua.
sirensrising
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007 07:09:12 PM »

I think drawing is a lot about practice - that way you get better at the realistic stuff, when you draw from life, and develop your own style as time goes on (and it changes all the time, I can remember loads of my different "phases" from when I was younger Tongue). Or, you can eschew that stage altogether and go the Rothko-esque, colour, abstract route, sort of like an "eff you" to drawing Grin

Thanks Goldandapel! I'll bear that in mind when it's crunch-time for Sukey Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
sirensrising
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007 08:30:40 AM »

So, as vaguely-mentioned, here's the scan - I'm not posting it in the original post because goodness knows that's long enough.

(Look ma, I can do watermarks! Sorry about that, but as I've mentioned before I'm starting to think about selling or making prints of my work so it's going to be a necessary evil for scans from now on, I think. I put it in a place without much detail anyway, and speaking of which I think you can see the hair and such better here)

Again, there'll probably be a clickable, much closer-up detail on my blog in about...10 minutes, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
sirensrising
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007 01:38:38 PM »

And here's the finished Elspeth:

oils and ink, on 6x6 canvas board.

Comments? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Picture Perfect Holiday Glam
5 Lifestyle Tips for December 2013
Top 5 Ways to Save Money on Beauty Products
Kerry Washington Shares Skincare Secrets
C&C Try: Rosewater
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...