A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: changing babies...  (Read 2865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 15, 2007 05:04:09 PM »

For all the mums out there,
is a change table usually:
flat with 'bumper' bits on the sides to stop rolling
curved/concave - kinda like a hammock?

What would you have preferred if you were to chose?

I'm not pregnant yet, but we're trying and I've been looking into what i can make! Someone(s) on here used some stacker boxes and stuff for a lot of storage stuff and that got me thinking.
I want to use a workbench (yes, the ones that go in the shed) as it's just the right height and about a tenth of the price of anything that has the word baby associated with it. I figured I could pretty it up and all that easily enough, but I'm not sure whether I'd be better off actually getting some foam cut for a change mat, or if I could make a kind of hammock-y thing to be fixed to the top?
Any ideas? Apologies for taking the long way round to my point!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007 05:44:28 PM »

hhmm...well I never used a changing table..I had one for my first, but found that the floor, bed or whatever worked much better for me. 

the table I had was flat, had small sides on it and the changing pad part was just a vinyl covered foam piece.  Totally flat.  It was ok...but I just found that I would use the floor and stuff better...my son squirmed all over the place though. 
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007 06:09:23 PM »

i had a changing table but i didn't like it - esp once my younglings got to the point they were climbing it to get on top. . .

so i got a 6 drawer dresser - 3 drawers on left/3 on right.  it's about waist height.

then i went to joann's and bought a piece of foam to fit and i sewed a cover for it and then i used my handy snap press and made a 'brass' clear cover for it.

here's a pic:

and a close up of the snaps:

i used a serrated bread knife to cut the foam to the exact size of the dresser.

i also bought a piece of non skid floor rug stuff to put between the dresser top and the vinyl covered foam top.  there's no sliding this way.

i LOVE the vinyl top on the changing pad - it's VERY simple to sanitize between uses.  Smiley

mommy to 2 in diapers.

oh yeah, those are diapers i made in the pic, too.  *grin*

mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007 06:45:13 PM »

that looks really good happyfrog (as do those nappies - where did you find the pattern for those?)

This is a pic of the bench I had in mind. Its 51.5cm deep, 122cm long & 83.5cm high. As I only stand 162?cm tall, it's a lovely height for me. (although my hubby is 6'4" - may be a little low for him!)  I figured I could get some of those plastic storage tubs for on the shelf, maybe a curtain-y thing to cover the front...

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007 07:13:40 PM »

I think that would work great...just put a little rail thingy around the top so the baby doesn't move right off........my are wiggle worms.....actually...when I worked at the day care center, all 20 of those babies were too........so think about it.  Smiley
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007 09:00:52 PM »

thanks for the help!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007 04:23:17 AM »

It should be flat with bumper sides, and those should be about 2" high. I'd look at pics of changing tables online to get inspiration and an idea of how it should look.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007 06:52:49 AM »

the changing pad part was just a vinyl covered foam piece.
  This is what I had with my first baby.  With my second I had the curved/concave kind.  I preferred the flat kind.  I don't think you really need padded bumpers for the sides but you do need some kind of railing or something.  Also, most changing tables have a belt to strap the baby on.  I never used it unless I needed to walk away for a moment but even then, I usually just took the baby with me.  Good luck in your TTC journey!

Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007 07:09:25 PM »

am i the only person who thinks it's easier to change a baby from the end rather than the side? i really think a changing table that sticks out lengthwise into the room would be more convenient :-/

also, i don't know about a "hammock," per se, but i really like the concave foam changing pads that help keep a wiggly baby from rolling off the table. they're easy to cover with whatever fabric you like, and they can be attached to the table in so many ways that it's crazy to think about all of them.

one more thing, you definitely want to think about storage on the wall above the changing table, as it seem to be the most convenient place to grab items from while holding a baby in place (aside from right there on the table, of course). just don't make it so high up that you look towards the ceiling and lose track of the baby!

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
wish I had many arms

Rita the Pita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007 10:26:41 AM »

am i the only person who thinks it's easier to change a baby from the end rather than the side? i really think a changing table that sticks out lengthwise into the room would be more convenient :-/

I have to agree with you on that! I should really keep that in mind if I'm going to get a changing table.

enjoyin' my life as a mommy!
want to get into crafts but so little time!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...