A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crazy Quilt HELP!  (Read 1192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlehajerika
« on: August 15, 2007 02:09:21 PM »

I love the look of old-fashioned Crazy Quilts and I want to make a twin size one but I am not sure how long they take and if I really want to start another really long term project.

I have made two basic square patchwork quilts before and have basic embroidery skills and plenty of garment construction experience but I'd like some questions answered about crazy quilting.

I can't decide if I want to make squares or one continuous pieced top. I think that I like the look of one continuous pieced top better. Is it more confusing and difficult to embroider?

Any idea how much time these generally take?
Any good books you would recommend about crazy quilts or embroidery?

Any words of wisdom on this type of quilting would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007 07:31:31 PM »

Absolutely make SQUARES. The nature of crazy piecing is such that it works best when done in small increments, and I think one large top would be next to impossible to do. A pieced top of squares with no sashing between the blocks will look similar to a large singular unit. My own preference is to add sashing to delineate the blocks, because then the details don't get lost, and you can colour/value coordinate the blocks. That's just me though.

Crazy quilting can take a long time, depending on the amount of work you wish to do on it. Perhaps it would do to start with a small project to get the feel of it.

Judith Baker Montano has written several books on crazy quilting with tons of great ideas in them. Sharon B's In a Minute Ago is a good stop, as is the crazy quilt emag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007 05:19:59 AM »

Ya know the look of the "all over" crazy is pretty fun.  Since crazy piecing is done on a foundation you would just start w/ a big ole foundation (like a sheet or something) and it would just be BIG, not necessarily more difficult.  You could also do it in several smaller sections (or even blocks) but still acheive the same "all over" look.  I guess I would say START with making a couple squares and see how it's going.  If you decide to go another route, you can always use those squares for something else.  My advice would be to look at a lot of different crazy quilts and get a sense of what look you're going for.  Some absolutely may take longer than others - I think "back in the day" victorian ladies spent an awfully long time on their crazies.  But if you have basic sewing skills I definitely think you can do it, it just depends on the time commitment YOU are prepared to make.

I have made a twin size crazy quilt using individual blocks in the "stitch and flip" method.  It was finished within a year (subtracting time gaps when it sat in my closet), but I'm not suer what was the total work time.  If you are hand embroidering & embellishing that can take a lot of time; I think ultimately that's what took me the longest.  Some people choose to quilt their crazy quilts, but traditionally they were not quilted, so I didn't quilt mine and that's a HUGE time saver. 

Judith Baker Montano's books helped me all the way through the process, including two embroidery "stitch guides" that she has.  There is a lot of amazing stuff out there on the web.  If you decide to do it be sure and post pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
Caecilia42
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007 06:15:14 AM »

I just got the Ultimate Quilters' Visual Guide, and it suggests a neat compromise for crazy quilts - make individual blocks, but leave some pieces hanging off the edge to applique to a neighboring block, or put blocks together, then applique over them, to hide seams/regularity. I think that would be much more manageable than an enormous all-in-one piece (I'm putting borders on a quilt-top now, and it's making me crazy to handle all that fabric).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007 06:34:02 AM »

I made one recently and made big chunks of crazy quilty and then trimmed it into blocks that were various sizes so once they were assembled into a square it was hard to see the geometric parts.  It also makes it easier to handle the small pieces for handwork.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LibbyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007 07:04:48 AM »

Oooh I love the idea of leaving some pieces "hanging" off the edge and appliqueing them down later. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
littlehajerika
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007 02:04:42 PM »

Wow, thanks for all of this awesome advice. I am still not sure what I am going to do because I really want to do it as one complete top but I need to research more before I commit to that. I've always been the type of crafter who just jumps into projects even if they seem overwhelming because I am impatient with progress so I'll probably just end up doing that.

I definitly will check out some of those books for advice and embroidery stitches because I don't know that many.

Thanks Ladies and keep that advice coming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patrick_Craftrick
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007 02:12:23 PM »

As to how long they take- that all depends on how much you are willing to let go your control.  If you are willing to just sew like crazy and let things happen for themselves, then chop it all into squares and sew them together, it will go quickly.

However, if you agonize over how it will look, or if that fabric goes with the one next to it or not, it will take a long time and chances are, you will never finish it.

My suggestion, work fast and loose, I would not even look at it until you are ready to put the backing on it.  (Obviously you have to look at it so wee what you are sewing, just don't worry about the overall design till the very end.)  What ever you do, don't tack it up on the wall and move things around.

A crazy quilt should be a surprise when it is done, even to you.  Best of luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ware the Sock-A-Zins!

http://potatocraft.etsy.com
LibbyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007 05:55:05 PM »

Hang on a second...

*pulls quilt out of the closet*

OK I wanted to post this all day whilst I was at work, but naturally the quilt was at home.  This is NOT the crazy that I made b/c mine was NOT this cool  Tongue.  This is my high school graduation quilt that my mom made me - lucky kid, right??

Anyway, I want to share it b/c she pieced onto I think four or five large foundation pieces and then sewed those units together into this treasure.  I think it has more of an "all over" feel than a "block" feel, right?  It is twin size.

Just wanted to share!!

If you want to jump right in I say go for it  Cheesy.  Remember you are only trying to please yourself here, and only know what you want to put into the project and what you want to get out of it.  So just do whatever most appeals to you!  Have fun; you have officially made me want to start another crazy!! 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007 07:33:33 PM by LibbyK » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezra
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007 07:13:04 PM »

I really like the michigan part near the middle. Whooo michigan! =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brighten Your Complexion by Hiding Dark Circles and Shaping Your Brows
E.L.F. Vs. NYC Eyebrow Kit Review
How to Apply Eye Cream the Right Way
5 Minute Makeup Tutorial
An Easy Way to Apply Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...