A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of roving, but no knitting skills  (Read 2553 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silloh_77

If anyone needs me: I'll be at the thrift store...

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2004 06:38:12 AM »

So I ordered some roving to make the felted soaps (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=8887.0) and they came out great.
But I ordered a lot more than I need.
What else can I do with it? I don't know how to spin it into yarn, and even if I did, my knitting skills are somewhat limited ( As long as I don't drop a stich, I'm okay, but I can't pick it up).
What else can I do with this stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottedknickers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004 05:00:10 AM »

At my daughter's Waldorf school they made little doll rugs (or it's current use would be "coaster") that I thought would be fun for gifts. 

They took litte pieces of the roving and layered it (criss-crossed) to fit into a plastic bag (she used ziploc bags), adding colorful roving to make decorations. They did the criss-crossing and decorating out side of the bag to make sure everything was even and then carefully placed it into the bag. 

Then a spritz of warm soapy water into the bag and the kids used their hands to gently rub the roving filled bag with their flat hands until if felted. The felted pieces came out the size of the bags, we rinsed them under cool water and set them out to dry.  (They are smallish, but work as little hot pads under mugs and things like that.)  I would think that you could do this with a larger ziploc bag as well, but I'm not sure. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
woolgathered
Sp-diddly-inner

woolgathered.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004 07:43:37 AM »

You can make little angels, as well. I don't know where to find a tutorial, but BlueGooseGlen on Ebay makes them. They have them in their Ebay store right now.

You can also knit with it! There is a pattern in the Fall issure of Spin Off magazine for felted slippers made out of strips of roving. Also, I know someone who made a Kitty Pi (from http://www.wendyknits.net ) bed out of roving on sz 17 needles and it took her a really short time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004 09:44:18 PM »

roving doesnt ussually have enough twist to knit with easily, and once it is knit it tends to pill/stretch funky/and have other issues (and if it gets caught on something you're in trouble!). 

You could also make felted scarves or hats- you can get pretty cheap hat shaped foam things on ebay and the like, make thrummed mittens, earwarmers (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTmuffy.html) etc.

If you did want to knit with it you could always get someone to spin it up for you prtty cheap- if they are spinning it up in a worsted- bulky yarn, and especially if it is novelty yarn, it wouldnt be that $$ to have done (plus its really cool then cause its so unique)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
leslieduckie
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005 09:39:51 AM »

You could buy some felting needles ($1 a piece) and needle felt the wool roving. Here's a nice tutorial to make little felted things.

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/ladybug_dir.htm

I've just started making felted flower pins, which are fun, addictive, but a bit time-consuming and I've pricked my fingers a bunch of times.

Or you can wet felt your stuff using this tutorial:
http://www.weavespindye.org/html/felting1.html

Hope you figure out what you want to do with the wool roving, have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feisty Elle
Accessories for the Feisty-Minded
www.feistyelle.com
rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005 10:08:29 AM »

I'm with leslie on the needle felting - you can see here what i taught myself to do when i found myself pretty much in the same boat as you.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=15801.0

the dreads (not needle felted!) went in in an incredibly short period of time, and were a little annoying to take out but not too bad.

Also i just want to note that you CAN knit with roving, i'm told by my roving lady - you just have to full it when you are done.  I can imagine this creating lovely felts, with much less 'grain' to them than things that are knitted and then fulled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Perceive Colour
How to Design a Cartoon Boat
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Car
How to Pick Out Drawing Tools
How To Illustrate a Cartoon Palace
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...