A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Charm Squares  (Read 1004 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2007 11:31:56 AM »

I recently order a couple of packs of charm squares from The Fat Quarter Shop b/c they were 1/2 off and it was toooo tempting Grin

They came with "pinked" edges...meaning the edges are cut that zig zag way to keep them from fraying.  My question is - how does that turn out when sewing?  Has anyone had experience with this?  I mean I can probably match them up decently using the "mountain" points of the edge as my guide, and then guide those mountain points along the 1/4 inch mark.  It just seems like there will not be much space between the "valley" bottom points and the seam.  But maybe it doesn't matter if the seam is narrow at times because the edges are pinked and that's the whole point???  Any thoughts or experiences??

Sorry if this was incomprehensible - let me know if you'd like me to try my explanation again  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
rainylakechick
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007 01:16:20 PM »

I also have charm pack squares from Fat Quarter Shop....  I'm very interested in this topic too! 

I was wondering if I should sew with 1/2 inch seam allowance, rather than a 1/4 seam allowance?  Or line my 1/4 inch seam allowance with the inside point of the pinking shears cut...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

habitat-lady
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007 01:43:13 PM »

I don't think the pinking matters.  I would do exactly as you said and match up the mountains for the seam allowance and sew them with a 1/4 inch unless after you sew your seam you are only a thread or two away from stressing the seam.  I have never pinked my squares for quilts but I have for many clothing patterns. 
I think if you have an 1/8 of an inch frm the valley of the pinking to the seam it should be okay.  Once you get the quilt top together, there won't be that much wear and tear on each individual seam.

Or (a bobbin must have hit me in the head!!!)  You could pink a few of your scraps of a similar fabric and test it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007 05:12:07 PM »

Based on my experience, I'd measure them, and when they turned out to be cut too small, I'd complain to the shop, get a refund and then trim them up. It was very frustrating. Their work experience student had cut all my 6.5 inch squares, which I needed that size 6 inches.

Seriously, I have more more than one packt which needed trimming or squaring. Remember, they aren't machine cut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

habitat-lady
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007 05:59:35 PM »

LibbyK has a great point.  I didn't think about checking the size.  I've never bought them but if hers were cut wrong, yours might be also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007 06:08:42 PM »

I have used the FGShop's charm packs.  I just lined up the pinked edges and used the usual 1/4 in. seam allowance.  Move your needle over so the edge of the fabric runs at the edge of your foot, and the needle stitches 1/4 in.  I made the quilt for my sister, so I'm sure I'd know if it was a problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007 05:05:29 AM »

OK so naturally I ran to check the size of my charm squares...!  And now I'm fairly convinced that at least the ones I got from The Fat Quarter Shop ARE die cut b/c they are far too identical to be the work of human hands!  Which I guess makes sense, as FQS sells so dang many charm packs.  And plus one of the two I got is from moda...now I could be wrong here but moda charm packs seem like such an _institution_ that I imagine they are die cut at moda world headquarters and then shipped to quilt stores. 

Anyway, thanks everyone for weighing in.  Upon more closely examining my charm squares, the pinking on the moda squares is really quite shallow so I think any old method with them will be fine.  For the other set I'm going to have to try sewing a couple together and see how they look/feel...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
anaximander
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007 06:10:41 PM »

Moda stuff, as well as RJR and one other one all fall under the heading of one manufacturer (trendtex), and it's all done in-factory. I second the advice that as long as you're an eighth of an inch away at the narrowest point, you're fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Futuristic Pumpkin
How to Make a Candy Bouquet With Dylan Lauren
How to Make Festive Halloween Decorations
How to Dye Fabrics at Home
How to Make a Wedding Pomander
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...