A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,498
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tangled Yoke Cardigan Knitalong  (Read 13491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smrjunior
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2007 08:16:18 AM »

Here's something to consider, if you haven't started the sleeves yet. I found them much to wide (and so have several others) so I made them narrower. I think you could make the sleeves narrower and by the same number of stitches (well divided by 2 for 2 sleeves) as you made the body bigger. So if you added 20 stitches to the body, you could make each sleeve end up 10 stitches narrower and you would automatically have the right number of stitches for the yoke. Just something to think about. Do try on a sleeve when you get it about half done, to see if it is going to be too wide. I had to reduce mine a LOT, and I do not have skinny arms.

wow, yeah, I just looked at the numbers and they seem WAY off.  I ended up measuring I shirt that fits well and recalculating the whole sleeve-- skinnier at the bottom and wider at the top.  and because they're wider at the top, I think I'm going to just use the instructions for the medium size for the yoke.  that will probably end up working out better for me, anyway, since I'm kind of broad-shouldered.  thanks for that tip, I'm glad I didn't get any further on the sleeves before you warned me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
Roe
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2007 10:05:57 AM »

Yes, that's right. Don't pay any attention to the "no stitch" spaces. They are just there to make the chart line up properly.

The 10 increase for every 14 sts part means that for every 10 stitches on the row before, you will now have 14 stitches. These are your repeat sections. If you had put a marker after every 10 stitches on the previous row, then at the end of this row, you should have 14 stitches between each marker. It's a good idea to do this, because on every row you should have the same number of stitches (although that number will vary) between each pair of stitch markers. It makes it very easy to locate a mistake. Whichever pair has a different number of stitches between them is where the mistake is. It also makes it easy to check each repeat section as you go to make sure you don't end up finding mistakes later. I use teesy tiny rubberbands (for hair braids) as markers.

Ahhhh....... Thanks, that was helpful. I have a feeling I'm going to have to really focus on this chart. I didn't realize how many stitches I was going to have to keep track of. My guess is I will probably pull it out at least three times!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

landry
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2007 11:33:14 PM »

Finally got through the cables! I really wish I had thought of using lifelines like you guys are/will be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flickr photos + + knitting pictures
livejournal + + knitting and other blog-worthy stuff
currently  + + crazy over twinkle's big city knits
mmdm
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2007 05:01:57 AM »

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2182/1678184577_5b52e98af4.jpg[/url]

Finally got through the cables! I really wish I had thought of using lifelines like you guys are/will be.

That's looking great! Love that rich color. I finished mine last night and hope to block it today.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007 06:03:25 AM by EmilyFlew - Reason: please remove img tags when quoting--thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roe
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2007 11:55:32 AM »

Wow Landry, yours is beautiful. I'm gealous about your color choice. I'm using what I had in my stash, Watery- Rowan Felted Tweed, but seeing yours is making me wonder if I should have gone all out and got a different color.

love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eilene
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2007 09:14:57 AM »

I have a question about the neckline bind off that I confused about. The directions tell you to pick up & knit 102 stitches from the base of the neckline. Do you use a new skein of yarn to pick up & knit the stitches or do you just take a needle to pick up 102 purl bumps from the base of the neckline? I'm confused about this. Normally...when you pick up stitches you use a skein of yarn...but this seems like it could be different. Help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Raw Dreams~
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2007 03:43:51 PM »

It says pick and knit because some knitters interpret "pick up x stitches" differently. Smiley

Yes, you should begin with a new yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eilene
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2007 04:55:23 PM »

Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Raw Dreams~
landry
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2007 03:14:03 PM »

Finished!

Thankfully, it softened up a lot after a dip in Soak. I ended up only using 5.5 balls of Rowan Felted Tweed in Phantom because of the 3/4 sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flickr photos + + knitting pictures
livejournal + + knitting and other blog-worthy stuff
currently  + + crazy over twinkle's big city knits
julsey723
How do I know about reality? I just play with sticks and string.

do you have jello?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2007 03:47:37 PM »

Wow, Landry! That looks AWESOME!

The dark color really does show off the cable pattern nicely.

Good work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**PM me if you have a copy of Patons Street Smart for sale or swap**
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________')
blog: www.peonyknits.blogspot.com
shop: www.julsey723.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Traditional Curry
Hand Roll Sushi
Scattered Sushi
How to Garnish Your Sushi Rolls
Asian Vegetables with Soy Sauce Gravy Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...