A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tangled Yoke Cardigan Knitalong  (Read 14430 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2007 06:59:44 AM »

I cast on for this with Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk in blush/soft pink (my cheat sub/addition for the difficult-to-find Alpaca Silk DK dyelot).  I'm using US 3s to get gauge.

This yarn is fun & yummy soft, but beware the fuzz if you hold your yarn & pick stitches instead of throwing it.  I had a ring of fuzz come off after doing the long-tail cast-on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007 07:51:57 AM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2007 09:29:58 AM »

I'm on my 3rd attempt here.  I initially cast on with the 5s, ignoring the voice in my head that said I should have swatched in garter rib as well and it was turning out far too wide.  So I swatched the garter rib on 3s and the measured gauge was a little too small.  So I cast on on 4s and knit for a while and whoops, too big.  I know that I have a tendency to loosen up on larger pieces of knitting (compared to the swatch) and I try to take this into account, but I didn't do a very good job this time.  So I ripped out and cast back on with the 3s.  I'm not far enough in to see if this is going to work, but I sure hope it does.  I'm trying to be really persistent here, but when I run into problems the siren song of other projects becomes louder and louder Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doodlebird
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2007 01:34:26 PM »

So, i was thinking of making this out of cotton so i could wear it more. any thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007 08:24:18 AM »

So, i was thinking of making this out of cotton so i could wear it more. any thoughts.

Cotton has more negative ease than the recommended wool/alpaca (it will pull in more at gauge).  The drape of cotton is a bit different than wool.  You might want to check out No Sheep for You by Amy Singer (knitty.com's founder) at your library to read up on the differences between cotton & wool in detail.

If anything, swatch! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007 09:08:21 AM »

Time for a WIP pic!

Just did the last dec.  The next rows will be where I add the horizontal cable.  I'm going to be swatching, first.

The LYS employee who helped me sub this yarn is probably spot-on for the yardage for the ribbing on the bottom & sleeves (the horizontal cable will disguise and discernable dyelot differences).  I'm on the 3rd skein and have a 4th for the sleeves.

The garter rib alternative to the regular rib is a great choice (I'm sure a regular rib would not transition well to St st or emphasize hips in an unflattering way), but I don't like how the rev. Stockinette stitch seam stitch behaves (creates that inward pucker).  I think I'll be deleting it from future Eunny Jang patterns I knit.  A stitch marker serves me well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julsey723
How do I know about reality? I just play with sticks and string.

do you have jello?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2007 04:32:49 PM »

I'm in, I'm in, I'm in!!!

I need a few days to finish Wicked (started way late and i'm doing it w/long sleeves), but I got my yarn for the TYC...recommended yarn and color (how completely uncreative)

Can't wait...

So far all your WIPs are gorgeous Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**PM me if you have a copy of Patons Street Smart for sale or swap**
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________')
blog: www.peonyknits.blogspot.com
shop: www.julsey723.etsy.com
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2007 07:46:58 PM »

Mine is slow going - this garter rib stitch is taking forever, and I'm adding a little length.  I think I should have gone down a needle size too...  we shall see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
D.I.Winer
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2007 05:13:18 AM »

I got my yarn & cast on last night!

I'm using the felted tweed which so far, is really great to work with. I'm only a couple of rows into the ribbing, but I'm completely in love with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2007 07:42:16 AM »

I'm a little bit farther along than shown in this picture.  I have about six rows of ribbing left and I'll be ready to move on, though I plan on wet blocking this first just to be sure it's going to be the right size.  My swatches bloomed quite a bit with a block so I'm being extra cautious.  I think it would kill me to finish this sweater and not like it. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007 07:44:39 AM by wootwoot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2007 08:39:08 AM »

I have about six rows of ribbing left and I'll be ready to move on, though I plan on wet blocking this first just to be sure it's going to be the right size.  My swatches bloomed quite a bit with a block so I'm being extra cautious.  I think it would kill me to finish this sweater and not like it. 

I'd error on it being a bit small, too, considering the addition of the button bands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Mango Curd Crepe Cake
How to Make Black Walnut Blondies
How to Make Mango Doughnut Muffins
How To Make A Cranberry Walnut Pie For Thanksgiving
Classic Christmas Pudding Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...