A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,882
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Hardcore -- Disaster? Help? -warning: long.  (Read 944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CloudxxSeph
« on: August 14, 2007 10:44:40 PM »

Knitty's Hardcore is my first "real" (big/hard) project, but I've been eyeing it for about two years now, trying to work up the courage, skills, and materials (coupons yey) to make it.  http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer05/PATThardcore.html I was bored of everything else, so I decided to go for it. Everything was fine and dandy, I started the 4.5 inches before the charting some stitches bigger so that it would fit around my (rather large) hips. I decreased appropriately so that it would change back to a size S (in only men's patterns will i ever be considered "small"). (Possible mistake occurred in here?) After visiting both A.C. Moore and JoAnn Fabric Store (the LYS I never visited closed in May), I was amazed/slightly aggravated to see that neither carried TLC Amore in vanilla. So I bought Baby Amore in white instead, looking at the labels and figuring that they were close enough. (Possible mistake?) I went ahead with the chart, never having done fair isle before, and ended up pulling the black yarn too tight, making the white stitches puff out (mistake). By the time I realized my mistake, it was too late/I was too lazy/not encouraged(discouraged?) enough to rip it out. The 71 rows of skull and crossbones were worked (during which I watched a movie, chatted with a friend, read some of a book--mistake?), and measured; it seemed too short, so I added in another inch of plain black (possible mistake?). When I measured it again, it seemed too long, and I figured I must be hallucinating things. So again, I plowed ahead. However, when the time came to attach the sleeves, the numbers didn't add up.
For the last row of body before sleeves:
Next Row [WS]: P4, k29, place next 12 sts on st holder, p52, place next 12 sts on st holder, p to end. Set aside and work Sleeves.
132 = 4 + 29 + 12 + 52 + 12 + 19 + 4 didn't seem very even/symmetrical to me. but I went ahead and did it anyway. However... then came:
With RS facing, work first 28 sts of body, work 43 sts of one sleeve, work next 52 of body, work 43 sts of rem sleeve, work rem 28 sts of body. 194 sts.
Okay... after I did those two rows, it was very obvious that they were not even. RS facing me, I had 21 stitches, then the loop with the 12 stitches on the holder (is that even right?) 52 stitches, 12 on holder, then 33 stitches. NOT even. But screw that! On to the sleeves! And then I didn't get how to do that at all. I get that the 12 stitches set aside on the body will match up with the ones on the sleeves to give me the underarm, but why is there that stupid little stitch making it a loop? (see picture) It doesn't seem right.
Eventually I counted my stitches (I never count them--young and stupid knitter). I have 130. I'm supposed to have 132. Soo... the places I could have lost them seem to be: mistake in decreasing to size S, mistake in fair isle, mistake in buttonhole making, plain ol' dropped stitches, casting on wrong.

In short, does anyone have advice?

Besides the point:
Sleeves (Make 2)
Using shorter needle and MC, CO 55 sts. Place marker and join to begin working in the round, being careful not to twist.
Round 1: [K1, p1] to end.
Round 2: [P1, k1] to end.
Repeat these 2 rounds once more.
Work in stockinette st until work measures 14 inches.
Next Round: K49, place next 12 sts on holder.

THAT DOES NOT ADD UP. 49 PLUS 12 IS NOT 55, CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF!!!!!

/long knitting rant (if you read this far, you get a get a virtual plate of cookie-props)
I know I'm a young/stupid knitter  Embarrassed , but any words of advice on how to fix it? I know that sometimes stitches just need to be ripped out, but when you're talking over 15 hours of work (skull chart) that need to be ripped out....=  Cry

Pictures:

The offending stitch of doom:

I swear it's even lumpier looking in real life:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007 12:04:30 AM »

Okay, I'm not sure about your initial problems with the numbers not adding up.  They don't look right to me, either, though I may be missing something.  This sweater looks like it should be nice and symmetrical and those numbers are indeed not. 

I can help you with those 12 stitches, though.  Instead of just placing them on a holder and bringing the yarn behind them, which is what made that "stitch of doom" Smiley you need to work those 12 stitches and then place them on a holder.  That way you won't have that little loop and you won't get a strange pinched armpit later on. 

On the sleeve...I think that the reason he has you knit 49 instead of 43 is so that the beginning of the round will fall right smack in the middle of the armpit and be hidden.  Since the end of a round is a row higher when you're knitting in the round, it's just kind of a nice touch to smooth it out like that.  Sock patterns often call for the beginning of a round to be centered in the middle of the heel, similar to this situation.  Since you're knitting in the round it is possible to knit 49 then 12 even though you only have 55 stitches, just knit 49, place the last 6 stitches of the round and the first 6 stitches of the next round on a holder. 

Anyway, I hope that helps!  Your charted part is looking really good, I'm sorry to hear that it's wonky :-/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CloudxxSeph
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007 12:10:50 AM »

you need to work those 12 stitches and then place them on a holder.  That way you won't have that little loop and you won't get a strange pinched armpit later on. 

!!!!!!! Ingenious!!!!!!

On the sleeve...I think that the reason he has you knit 49 instead of 43 is so that the beginning of the round will fall right smack in the middle of the armpit and be hidden.  Since the end of a round is a row higher when you're knitting in the round, it's just kind of a nice touch to smooth it out like that.  Sock patterns often call for the beginning of a round to be centered in the middle of the heel, similar to this situation.  Since you're knitting in the round it is possible to knit 49 then 12 even though you only have 55 stitches, just knit 49, place the last 6 stitches of the round and the first 6 stitches of the next round on a holder.

*stares in awe* I feel educated now! Thank you very much for your help! *presents you with a virtual plate of cookies, as promised*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007 12:20:17 AM »

Glad I helped!  *eats a cookie*  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creepyhugger
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007 04:22:31 PM »

just to try and make you feel better, i used a slightly different yarn for intarsia than my mc on a sweater and while it did look a bit wonky, it looked much better after blocking.  why is it that white yarns always seem a bit thinner than black yarn?  i used knitpicks superwash for the mc and cascade superwash for the intarsia.  you can see the results here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=167486.0

so, don't give up hope until you've blocked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007 06:25:03 PM »

thanks for the support, creepyhugger. Smiley That's one kick ass sweater, and your username is cool too ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Bang Bang Chicken
How to Make Beef Steak Donburi
How to Make Buri Shabu-Shabu
How to Make Classic Pad Thai
How to Make Your Own Sriracha
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...