A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,672
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first attempt at silk screening...  (Read 6997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Party-Bots
Robots Are Fun

How to be awesome..... Partybots.org

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006 08:08:18 PM »

AMAZING!  Congrats on printing such a cool message!

I hope you dont mind, I have some tips for you. Smiley

Masking Tape:  I would suggest using painters tape (the blue kind).  It's about $6 a roll, but totally worth it.  it looks like you are using Duck Tape, I would imagine that would be a huge pain to take off and not have sticky-ness on your screen.

Screens:  If you are going to use type or something with lots of detail you will want to use a screen with a high mesh count.  The higher the count the tighter the threads are so they produce a very clean edge.  200 is a great screen to use.

Looking forward to more of your work.
karl addison
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fulfill Your Inner Robot
derangedpinke
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006 06:28:29 AM »

AMAZING!  Congrats on printing such a cool message!

I hope you dont mind, I have some tips for you. Smiley

Masking Tape:  I would suggest using painters tape (the blue kind).  It's about $6 a roll, but totally worth it.  it looks like you are using Duck Tape, I would imagine that would be a huge pain to take off and not have sticky-ness on your screen.

Screens:  If you are going to use type or something with lots of detail you will want to use a screen with a high mesh count.  The higher the count the tighter the threads are so they produce a very clean edge.  200 is a great screen to use.

Looking forward to more of your work.
karl addison

thanks for the ideas! i'll definitely use them next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
derangedpinke
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006 06:29:42 AM »

What technique did you use for putting that image on there? did you use photo-emulsion or did you paint it on?

Either way, it looks great, and I'd buy one as well. And April 26th was my birthday.

i used photo emulsion.  i was really surprised at how easy it was and how well the screen turned out (considering that it was my first attempt). the printing itself was way harder than making the screen.  all i had to do was go to staples and get a transparency printed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nesse
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006 07:33:23 PM »

believe me, my school isn't that open minded either...only about seven people agreed to wear the shirts, and our gay-straight alliance consists of about ten people (and three of us are the presidents!)

my school is the same. we have about seven dedicated members {out of 1100 people?}. 3 of which are president/VP's haha
this is such a great idea. I think I want one for next year Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsalf97
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006 04:18:18 PM »

Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkninky
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006 01:46:30 AM »

*applause*

great shirts, and great cause too, yay for you!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wingedwallflower

going down the levi's stairs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006 09:59:54 AM »

those are so awesome!!  i'm P.R. for my gsa.  i wish we had shirts last year! the pin kept poking me and my tag was practically mangled by the end of the day.
believe me, my school isn't that open minded either...only about seven people agreed to wear the shirts, and our gay-straight alliance consists of about ten people (and three of us are the presidents!)

my school is the same. we have about seven dedicated members {out of 1100 people?}. 3 of which are president/VP's haha
this is such a great idea. I think I want one for next year Cheesy
my school is exactly like that!  we have like 30 people sign up for club day then no one comes to the meetings =(.  it's sad though cause most of our current members (uh 4 out of the 6) are senoirs and they'll be gone by next year! ah, it doesn't help that our city hates us too--if you guys heard about the Los Altos City Council thingy in California, you might know what i mean. 
anyways! you did an awesome job! i would totally buy one too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

words are flying out like endless rain into a paper cup....
newyorkdoll
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007 03:06:43 PM »

Yay for Day of Silence, and yay for using craftyness to contribute to a good cause. Those shirt look AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
     Thomas Edison
yoonikim
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007 05:17:29 PM »

snaps for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kill the sound and remember the words.
paintyourTARGET
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007 07:23:29 PM »

That's awesome! If only our GSA hadn't died out... Most of the non-straight members graduated, leaving us as the Straight Alliance plus One Gay Man ;-).

Just curious, when you screen-printed it, did you do it directly on the shirts, or did you leave 1/8" of space? I've never screenprinted before, but I don't know which method is best..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How Students of the World Develops Documentary Filmmakers
How to Film and Edit Green Screen Video
How to Make Fake Blood for Halloween
Non-Linear Editing Basics in Final Cut Pro
Modern Horror: Mockumentary
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...