A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My fourth "wall"... setting up a second bedroom with folding screens *edit*  (Read 2841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2007 11:50:59 AM »

My roommate and I share a one bedroom apartment, and my room is part of the living room... I love it, actually... My fourth wall is actually made up of 3 folding screens and a bookshelf that faces the living room side.... it looks cute from the living room, and from my room!

Here are some photos of how I decorated my awesome wall Smiley

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007 11:58:15 AM by lafemmedramatique - Reason: Sorry those photos were so huge! Now they should load faster! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlle_rachelmarie

Writing my dissertation in 15 minutes a day.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007 11:57:05 AM »

The white screens look very cheerful!  Good choice for that space. I used to live in a living room situation and just had this weird curtain as a divider. Your idea is wonderful!

Like the "S" too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog about my Paris life, books, and artsy crafty things: http://www.craftyrachel.com
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007 12:00:29 PM »

The white screens look very cheerful!  Good choice for that space. I used to live in a living room situation and just had this weird curtain as a divider. Your idea is wonderful!

Like the "S" too.

Thanks so much! I love this apartment in general (it's about 100 years old, and really cottage-esque) and the screens fit in well... oh, and i got the "S" at hobby lobby for about $2 (they're just MDF letters) and then painted it w/ acrilyc paint and covered it w/ mod podge! It was super fun, and i think it looks cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007 12:09:47 PM »

I LOVE the pictures in the third photo in your post - are they photographs, or paintings, or what?  They are really lovely!  Nice idea, as well, to use the divider.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007 12:19:04 PM »

I LOVE the pictures in the third photo in your post - are they photographs, or paintings, or what?  They are really lovely!  Nice idea, as well, to use the divider.

They're from aliciabock.etsy.com .... I printed them myself, although if I had the money I would have purchased them... all of her photography is fantastic, however, and eventually when I do have money I'm going to start buying stuff up, one by one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smelsmin
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007 07:43:13 AM »

The S is wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
folara
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007 06:42:54 PM »

Hey there,

Kudos for being so creative with your space. It was a great idea to put up a screen to give yourself some privacy in your room.

I have to say though...it's pretty disappointing that you would steal an artist's work like that. It is not OK to print out another person's art without paying--it's the same thing as stealing, even if you have every intention of going back later and actually buying prints.

I'm sorry if I seem kind of harsh, but I feel really strongly about this subject. It's not like most of the artists on Etsy are making much profit anyway. I just really don't think it's ok to use someone's art without permission, and considering how many Craftster members also sell on Etsy, I think many people here would agree with me.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007 06:43:40 PM by folara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post pictures of all of my crafty adventures on my flickr and my blog!
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007 08:50:40 PM »

Hey there,

Kudos for being so creative with your space. It was a great idea to put up a screen to give yourself some privacy in your room.

I have to say though...it's pretty disappointing that you would steal an artist's work like that. It is not OK to print out another person's art without paying--it's the same thing as stealing, even if you have every intention of going back later and actually buying prints.

I'm sorry if I seem kind of harsh, but I feel really strongly about this subject. It's not like most of the artists on Etsy are making much profit anyway. I just really don't think it's ok to use someone's art without permission, and considering how many Craftster members also sell on Etsy, I think many people here would agree with me.

Don't worry, I understand what you're saying... and the thing is, I do agree with you.... I honestly would much rather own the real thing, since the photo quality isn't actually as good, and being that it's made of regular printer paper, it's going to tear as soon as I take them down, but when you are in my situation (ie. choosing between food, school books, or rent) purchasing the real thing isn't exactly an option....

I would recommend that anyone buy the real thing, which is why I replied with the website, because I think that an actual print would be fantastic....

And I agree with you, it isn't a preferable way to go about things, but I knew that I wanted these to be displayed in my room, and I didn't have the option of buying them... I wouldn't have even mentioned that I printed them myself, simply listed the etsy, except that I felt that the quality of my print outs are not a good representation of what you would pay for, which I could guarantee would be better quality. 

I understand that my rationale still isn't going to justify it as not stealing. However, I am doing what I can to tell other people about her work, in hopes that they, should they have more money than me (a person who is putting herself through college on a minimum wage job with no help whatsoever) will actually buy the real thing that I so covet.

Again, I apologize that I have offended you. I do hope that you will not let it stand in your mind as something against my character.

I honestly understand where you're coming from, but I justify it by the fact that the quality of what I have greatly suffers from the way I got these prints. They are nothing more than cheap printer paper, printed out at the library. They will rip as soon as I take them down. They will not last as long as an actual print would, which is why it is not preferable to do this, even to me. However, I have no other way of going about it at this time.

I'm sorry to have offended you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

folara
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007 10:53:15 PM »

Well, thanks for such a mature response. You haven't offended me...my sensibilities maybe, but not me personally, and I don't think you're a bad person or anything. You're definitely a great crafter. Smiley

I know that it can be hard when you're paying for college on your own. I'm doing it myself right now, albeit not on a minimum wage job (...and btw holy crap I just looked it up and Indiana has a really low minimum wage! In Washington it's 7.93!)

I hear you, but I guess I still disagree with your justification.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post pictures of all of my crafty adventures on my flickr and my blog!
anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007 02:49:36 AM »

You, know, I actually didn't reply because my first thought was "that's not okay - pay the poor starving artist already", and I didn't want to say anything.  I'm glad someone did, and I'm glad the original poster gave such a pleasant and well-thought out response.  If nothing else, it immediately made me go to the artist's site and both heart and wist her awesome artwork.  If my dh reads this - I really really want one for my (upcoming) birthday!!! 

On both sides - well done handling a tough topic with style and empathy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Move and Delete Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Sort and Rotate Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Use Bridge Slideshow in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Analyze and Group Images in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Build Your Own Bridge in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...