A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what would you ask for for your birthday?  (Read 1181 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 14, 2007 09:17:29 AM »

my birthday is coming up and my mom asked me what i'd want and i'm at a loss.  Huh

i know i want knitting related stuff, but i have a pretty large stash and i own two sets of interchangeable needles already.

i'm thinking of asking for a few skeins of worsted weight alpaca yarn from Misti Alpaca or a few skeins of Malabrigo kettle dyed... but i'm not too sure about that. and gift cards are such a cop out. *sighs* maybe a bigger WIP basket b/c i've outgrown mine, maybe this one from Ikea   Undecided

what would you ask for for your birthday if the person getting the gift was internet illiterate? Huh

(seriously, my mom has no clue how to order stuff online)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007 09:58:00 AM by isisfae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
smrjunior
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007 09:54:59 AM »

hmmm.  i'd probably ask for natural colored wool and silk in different weights (maybe knitpicks bare for the wool) and some jacquard acid dyes in the colors that are hard to make with kool-aid and wilton dyes.  because i love dyeing my own yarn, and because then when i make things as gifts people are way more impressed that i dyed it and knit it myself.

and some sort of organization system.  my giant tupperware tubs are getting out of hand.

ooh, and patterns!  there are lots of individual patterns for sale on-line that i'd like (mostly glampyre and zephyrstyle), plus i love having knitting books on my shelf to look at for inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007 10:05:36 AM »

I agree that books are a safe bet since she can walk into a bookstore and buy them.  My husband bought me Stefanie Japel's Fitted Knits after I blogged about wanting it.   Grin  Worked better than my Wish List!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coral
Yarn Rescuer!

beer gut

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007 10:36:30 AM »

I agree with the knitting books suggestion.  If you ask for yarn, you're asking for trouble because you might get some acryilic or something and it sounds like you already have a ton of yarn.  Books are found everwhere and you can give several different titles depending on what you like.  I personally like knitting technique books such as Nicky Epstein's edge series. Or maybe ask for a subscription to a couple knitting mags such as IK or VK.  One year, my mom and I went antique shopping and she bought me an old walnut chest that now holds a lot of my knitting patterns, needles, and WIPs.  I have my share of plastic tubs and whatnot for stash, but it's nice to have one piece of beautiful storage holding my most commonly used items, so that might be an idea for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get some yarn! Jewelry! YARN! 
www.blackcoral.etsy.com

Vintage Sewing Patterns!!
www.saltwatersupply.etsy.com
Diana dOr
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007 10:43:10 AM »

I love the knitting magazine subscription idea, that what I wanted for my birthday, bastards. Coral has wonderful ideas.
Have you any interest in spinning your own yarn? With spinning comes lovely dying and other possibilities. All you need is some roving and a drop spindle, which can be bought quite easily and gives you control over what kind of yarn you would like to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knitting is a boon for those of us who are easily bored.  I take my knitting everywhere to take the edge off of moments that would otherwise drive me stark raving mad"
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007 10:49:55 AM »

i thought of a knitting needle case because i have a quite a few sets of straights that are haphazardly kept with my WIPs. the LYS i frequent has a few nice ones... but i can see my mom having issues with how expensive they are (the ones sold at the LYS are $45+)

the only book i can think of that i'd want is Knitting Without Tears but try as i might, i can't seem to find a copy! i might ask her to look into finding a copy. and i'll take a look at the offerings from Vogue Knitting and Interweave to see if there's anything i'd want.

i also thought about asking for a subscription to Interweave Knits and KnitScene... i'll give my mom the subscription cards when i get home from work.

thanks for the input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007 11:07:28 AM »

i thought of a knitting needle case because i have a quite a few sets of straights that are haphazardly kept with my WIPs. the LYS i frequent has a few nice ones... but i can see my mom having issues with how expensive they are (the ones sold at the LYS are $45+)

the only book i can think of that i'd want is Knitting Without Tears but try as i might, i can't seem to find a copy! i might ask her to look into finding a copy. and i'll take a look at the offerings from Vogue Knitting and Interweave to see if there's anything i'd want.

i also thought about asking for a subscription to Interweave Knits and KnitScene... i'll give my mom the subscription cards when i get home from work.

thanks for the input!

Barnes Noble ordered a copy of Knitting Without Tears for me.  I think it took about a week, so if your mom can't find it at the store and doesn't order online that might be an option for her.  If there are any other EZ that you don't have, I'd recommend those, too.  Even if you don't knit any of the patterns, her writings and stories are charming. 

Hmm, I'm such an internet shopper that it's kind of hard to think of anything else, but you can never have too much sock yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DAME EMMA

Feel the fear and do it anyway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007 11:43:48 AM »

Ball winder! Useful AND entertaining.
(Hey, I'm easily entertained.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007 11:52:23 AM »

Ball winder! Useful AND entertaining.
(Hey, I'm easily entertained.)

and why didn't i think of this?

that's a really good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaela
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007 12:02:34 PM »

I was just my birthday last week and the lovely husband got me both a ball winder and a swift.  I agree with DAME EMMA, endlessly entertaining. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David McCullough Reveals His Best Quality
The Monster Princess Book Trailer
Katie Kitamura Talks About The Longshot
Catherine Hickland Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
D.J. MacHale Talks About the Morpheus Road Trilogy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...