A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Celtic Knot pillow  (Read 5538 times)
Tags for this thread: celtic_knot  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2004 05:53:34 PM »

I thought this project would be quick.  Notice, I emphasized the word "thought".  Overall, I'm happy with the way it came out with the metallic embroidery floss but it was kind of a pain to work with.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005 09:24:45 PM by Craft Addict » THIS ROCKS   Logged
flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004 06:06:33 PM »

I've tried to work with metallic embroidery floss and have learned that I simply do not have the patience to work with it.  I can appreciate the effort your lucious pillow took and applaude your persistance!  Looks fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004 08:45:37 PM »

Thank you Smiley  If I had known beforehad what a pain it would be, I might have chosen something different.  Of course it figures that after I finish, I read about something you coat the threads with that helps them pull through easier and limits the fraying.  The metallic looks so cool, it might be worth trying again?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004 09:11:35 PM »

Woah, awesome. I dont have the patience for such things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004 10:14:18 AM »

The coating the threads thing... are you talking about that wax stuff?  I've heard of it, but haven't used it.  I usually run my threaded needle through a dryer sheet a few times to eliminate static.  Seems to help keep the thread from winding on itself, but it didn't work at all with the metallic.

If you try the metallic again with that stuff, let us know how it works.  I'd love to do a handbag with Jethro Tull or Pavement or Califone or something embroidered on it in the metallic.  Just don't like having tantrums while embroidering, so I'd have to find something that makes that metallic stuff more user-friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004 10:43:55 AM »

It might be that wax stuff you're talking about.  I think there's a specific name for it, but my mind is completely a blank.  I embroidered a tote with more metallic floss (because I'm a glutton for punishment) and I found that it didn't fray as much if I cut my pieces shorter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoddessOfPurple
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004 11:25:07 AM »

First of all, love the project!  I love celtic knotwork...thats a great idea!

I think the stuff you mean is called thread conditioner...you can get it in the beading department of Michaels over with the tiger tail and beading thread and stuff.  I've never used it on embroidery floss, but it is a lot less goopy than using wax.  Might be worth playing with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faith
"Let the beauty we love be what we do." -- Rumi

Artisan Jewelry:
http://www.namaste-designs.com/

Jewelry Making At BellaOnline
http://www.bellaonline.com/site/JewelryMaking
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004 04:49:57 PM »

very nice!  was it an iron on pattern or did you draw it on?  two of my friends love celtic knots, and something like that would be great for when they finally decide to tie their knot.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessicakes

Callipygian means having shapely buttocks.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004 05:55:25 PM »

I love celtic knots! I have one on tatooed on my back Smiley When I get married, the little ring bearer's pillow will have a celtic knot on it. Where did you find your pattern for the knot?

~jessica
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004 08:10:56 PM »

Thanks Smiley  I got the design from a book called "More Celtic Quilting" by Gail Lawther.  The book has several different designs in the back that can be quilted in a myriad of ways.  I've also seen books at Barnes and Noble in the drawing/graphic design section with many pages of designs.  The dover publications may also have some. 

Thanks for the info goddess of purple.  "Thread Conditioner" sounds WAY more technical than floss goo!

I copied the design and resized it, then took a black iron on pen and traced the lines.  I must have a heavy hand because my ironing board cover now has a permanent celtic knot on it! 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004 08:24:36 PM by Craft Addict » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...