A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,347
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips for Sewing Vinyl  (Read 9454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkyswear
« on: December 05, 2004 05:40:13 PM »

Is it as hard as I'm afraid it will be? Any experience? Tips? I have a few cute change purses in mind as gift ideas but I'm not so sure my sewing machine will be able to handle it.  Could I possibly sew vinyl by hand? I haven't actually bought any, just am contemplating it as a future project...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009 07:22:48 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kate conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004 07:31:07 PM »

Your sewing machine shouldn't have a problem, you just need to use a needle with a pointy, punchy tip (not a ball tip) like a jeans needle or a universal needle. The size depends on the thickness of the vinyl. I would also suggest using a longer than usual stitch length -- if the stitch length is too small you can imagine how this is perforating it like paper.

Some considerations:

If you pin the pieces together you have to keep the pins in the seam allowance ONLY otherwise you'll have pinhole visible in your final piece. You can also use paperclips instead of pins.

The vinyl will probably stick to the presser foot or feed dogs if you sew with the vinyl directly against them, but you can use tissue paper or freezer paper strips between the machine and vinyl as an easy tear away layer.

Don't be scared! It's probably easier than most fabrics because the layers don't slide apart when you sew them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blendercrush
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004 08:02:17 PM »

A Teflon foot helps out a lot.  There are needles for sewing leather and they work well on vinyl.  Upholstery thread works really well for top stitching because it's thicker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kate conspiracy
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004 08:34:20 PM »

If you sew through it too much it will weaken it, because you're really just poking holes in it when you sew. You can make the seam sturdier by glueing the allowances together after you're finished.

I think the clear quilting thread won't work the idea of it being a book bag, because the thread might just not be strong enough. Why not use a heavy duty thread to match the seam binding?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004 08:08:49 AM »

I use a roller foot when I sew vinyl and if its still giving me crap I use the paper you put in adding machines, on the bottom next to the feed dogs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004 08:19:11 AM »

well me personally I hate the clear thread, its disintegrates after a few years, I just use a sulky thread ro a guterman polyester, because the all cotton thread can damage the vinyl. I have sealed some rucksacks I made for my boys with a waterproofing stuff I got at lowes. it was 14.00 a can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
noelle
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004 11:50:37 AM »

hmm.. i am having trouble with my vinyl.
bad vinyl.. BAD!! <whip-cracking sound>

i am sewing one piece of vinyl, folded in half over one piece of fabric. it's a page in a cd-wallet.

i can't afford a new foot right now.
i tried using tissue paper over the top, and that works great. but tissue paper did not work on the underside.. and without it, those feed dogs eat up the thread. in one spot.

grr.. any advice?
i'd really like to sew both sides at once.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004 12:47:07 PM by noelle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
noelle
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004 02:49:22 PM »

thank you, LostCove!  Grin
that link is awesome..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skyra

a fork is a fork of course

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004 03:47:16 PM »

I know that this is not particularily SMART, but I was having a beast of a time with vinyl lining in a bag I made (it was the thick stuff) and no matter which needles I had, I found that they were sticking a little.  A wee bit of oil fixed that in a huge hurry.  Apparently there is a product out there that is safe for fabrics, but if it is just vinyl you are using, it will wipe off.  I used some thick terry scraps after I was done to make sure I got all of the oil off.

This trick also works well when sewing through hook and loop (velcro) that has adhesive on the back.  It saves your machine from gumming up every 2 stitches Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting to save the world...one magnet at a time!!
http://www.torridcraftaffair.etsy.com
kattghoti
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004 06:54:56 PM »

I've seen the oil trick on Trading Spaces, so I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as you might be afraid it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cajun Gumbo
How to Cook Easy Cajun Cornbread
How to Make And Use Cajun Seasoning
How to Make the Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese
Fried Jambalaya: The New Heart Attack on a Stick
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...