A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dear interior designers of craftster... (a contest!)  (Read 1163 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

x0xmanda
« on: August 13, 2007 04:02:30 PM »

take pity on my broke soul!!

so, here's the deal. my house is, well, a disaster. I, being 16, cannot pay to hire an interior designer and my parents are cheapasses ( Roll Eyes did i just say that?!) anyway i have a huge favor to ask

help us redo our home!

if i like your ideas i'll make you something. Sad probably something small though and a batch of cookies! cuz who doesnt like cookies? haha. oh well, i think you guys will have fun anyway. SO! onto the pictures.

the living room

i'd say its a mess, but honestly it looks like this most of the time. we need to maximize storage.

(view from the fireplace)

the dining room

this room does usually look better but my brother was about to move to college, so this was collecting some stuff.

thanks so much if you're willing to help us out!
i'm mainly looking for
wall color, furniture, storage, curtains, accessories but any ANY help at all would be appreciated haha.
thanks again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007 04:51:01 PM »

Do you have any preferences as to color and design?

If you have an IKEA near you, I highly suggest you check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007 04:56:06 PM »

I think you could make it look a lot nicer just by cleaning up a bit and getting things off the floor.  Buy or make some shelves, or even cabinets, and store things out of the way until you need them  Smiley

Also a few big pieces of furniture tend to look better than lots of little things.  Maybe you could get one larger piece to hold your TV, books, magazines, etc. instead of having them scattered on small pieces all around the room.

I like the wall colors you already have.  Dark red is one of my favorites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
JustDontChange
just discovered the joy of alpaca...this could get expensive

uknitted we stand

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007 05:05:53 PM »

paint, and some slipcovers for the couch, new pillows for around....
paint the bokshelves and such too.....
its just too dark in there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the glove compartment, is inaccurately named, and everybody knows it. so im proposing, a swift orderly change...
x0xmanda
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007 05:09:55 PM »

WIPs-- hmm well i'd like just plain... colors. haha.
the entire house is beige. i guess it didnt sell for a while so they "whited" everthing out. except in BEIGE. who does that, really?? everything just looks dirty, especially the tiles and stuff.

Jillie-- thanks, i like the idea for the tv and books and stuff. lol yes our entertainment center needs serious help.  Embarrassed the red is nice, but we havent painted any of the other walls. i'm thinking maybe mocha? but then again i think it might be good to stay away from brown/beige. how would i go about making shelves and where do you suggest i put them?

Justdontchange-  Undecided the entire house is dark. whoever built it forgot about lots of windows. but thank you for the ideas! do you think i should put bright colors in to lighten it up a bit? what were you thinking along the lines of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007 06:06:04 PM »

For lighting, maybe you could install track lighting or whatever it's called. Avoid using lamps because those will take up space.

I think that you should also clear things up and clean up a bit.  That will make it seem like there's more space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
x0xmanda
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007 05:54:19 AM »

cleaning up would definately be a plus, but  we have the problem of having no where to put things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo!
andybear
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007 10:57:28 AM »

What I'd do.. not saying you have to.. just ideas.. Paint the fireplace wall and the window wall one color something like a lighter/brighter (a more muted red maybe) and paint the remainding walls neutral. If you want mocha (which is a nice color) make sure its not too dark because the room is already very dark.
Get some sort of horizontal blinds and a sheer fabric to use as long curtains. That way when you want light in, pull the blinds up and leave the sheer fabric over the windows (so people cant peek but lets light through) Entertainment centres are quite expensive but it would make the biggest difference that way you could get rid of the other bookcases and misc cd/dvds on the floor. Buy/make a couple simple wall shelves to put on either side of the fireplace and put all the other lil trinkets you/your parents might want on them. In the corner near the kitchen put a corner desk, it will give you a lot more room.

thats about all i can think of for random ideas, hope i helped a bit
have fun decorating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007 11:15:13 AM »

Since the rooms are all visible at the same time, pick 3 colors that go well together, 1 for each room. They could be 3 levels of the same color (like 3 in a rown on a paint chip) or 3 different colors that go together nicely. Choose colors that make you feel happy. I'd go with "earthy" warm but fairly pale colors since your furniture and carpet are neutral/earth shades. Maybe a subtle yellow/gold, light green, and khaki? Or buttery yellow, light terra cotta, and cream? Even taupe, light iris, light green. Bring home lots of paint chips and pick ones that make you feel good, then go from there. Maybe add some big white paper hanging lights or something to to add airy light instead of the lamps, bigger, lighter art instead of the small pictures, or maybe a long display shelf for small pictures? Straighten up the clutter and maybe add a bigger peice of storage furniture instead of multiple small ones?
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
x0xmanda
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007 01:42:28 PM »

wow great ideas you two!!
i especially like the ideas of the sheers and the paper lanterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mint Leg of Lamb
How to make a Hearty Hamburger
How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips
How to Make Chicken Wings
How to make a Ham & Onion Omelet
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...