A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted Fabric Basket?  (Read 3422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nancyj65
« on: April 09, 2004 03:03:23 PM »

Has anyone seen a pattern for a crocheted fabric basket? I've Googled and either come up with tiny baskets done with thread, itsy bitsy versions that hold one egg, or just sites that sell old pattern books. I can't believe on the entire Internet there isn't one pattern for this that is big enough to hold more than one egg and a couple of jelly beans. I'm targeting making two of these for Easter 2005, so I have time, but sheesh. You can find everything on the net but this.  Huh

I've found instructions for coiled fabric baskets, in which the fabric is wrapped around a rope or a foam rubber tube to give the basket shape, but I really want a crocheted version, done with strips and a really big hook. I guess if I can't find anything I'll just have to do the math and figure out the increases for the bottom, then once I get that far, just go up for the sides until it is the size I want, and add a handle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennieL
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004 03:30:48 PM »

Hmmm...I don't have a pattern, but have you seen the book "Simple Crochet" by Erika Knight?  I'm thinking that by using some non-traditional stiff "yarn" like leather, twine, or raffia, you could crochet a circle for the base, then a simple long strip with scalloped edges to wrap around as the sides.  Whipstitch together and all you're missing is the handle!  The book shows projects like some pretty cool boxes made this way.  For a fabric-only basket, the same idea might work, but I'm not sure it would hold the shape well enough.  Sounds like some experimenting may be in order if no one has a pattern!

Jennie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hinke
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004 05:37:17 PM »

I knew I'd seen some nice baskets somewhere a while ago ...and found them again. I think they're quite nice and big enough for you, I guess (they don't have handles though).

picture:
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/basket_lg.html

and pattern:
 http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/basket.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

why don't you crafty hipsters read Dutch?
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004 06:21:09 PM »

Oooh, wouldn't those be nifty if you used plastic sacks per the instructions in this thread:

http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=78;action=display;threadid=2871;start=msg32826#msg32826

I think those baskets made from nice, bright plastic grocery bags would be swell!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
nancyj65
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004 08:49:42 PM »

I knew I'd seen some nice baskets somewhere a while ago ...and found them again. I think they're quite nice and big enough for you, I guess (they don't have handles though)

Thanks for this link! I bet adding a handle would be easy, and fabric would easily replace crocheting with 6 strands of yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004 03:10:32 PM »

You should check out the patterns in Erika Knights book ("Simple Crochet" is the title).
There are patterns in there for containers and baskets that look awesome.  ~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
simply
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004 09:11:31 PM »

why not do a search for regular baskets? if you find a crochet pattern you like, then switch from yarn to fabric strips and upsize your hook.  i think the fabric would make the basket a little larger than the actual pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kbgjess
Owner/Designer

... take my hand... we'll make it I swear...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004 05:04:43 PM »

The June issue of Crochet Magazine has one in it.  I'm not sure if there's a website, but any bookstore should carry the issue.  It runs for 2 months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet isn't just a hobby... it's an obsession.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Poet Ashley Bryan Talks About His Inspiration
Benson Bobrick Talks About the Inspiration Behind Master of War
Novelist Katie Kitamura Talks About Martial Arts
From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor Book Trailer
Elisa Albert on Her Book: the Book of Dahlia
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...