A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My complete brown and blue wedding - STDs, invites, centrepieces, etc, PIC HEAVY  (Read 10179 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , save_the_date , dress , centerpiece , invitation , flower , wedding_favor , placecard , wedding_favors  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazy_bc_jen
« on: August 12, 2007 09:20:16 PM »

I was married on June 30th, and we had a brown and blue theme, with a daisy motif here and there.  It was a perfect combination of classic and fun (in my opinion, at least!)

Everything was held at H.M.C.S. Discovery, a Naval Reserve base in Vancouver, BC.  It was a perfect setting - a tiny island off Stanley Park, with forest, mountains and ocean in the background, but still minutes away from downtown.  (Note: this location is not open to the public; my Uncle sponsored us).  The ceremony was outdoors, between two trees and overlooking a small bay, and the reception was in the Chief & Petty Officer's Mess.

The crafty stuff I did:

Save the Dates

The photo strip is similar to something I saw on here before - I don't know who to credit, I apologize!  We took them using a digital camera, and photoshopped them into a strip.  The signs in the photos were hand-lettered, and I hand wrote a message to each guest (70 in total!)

Invites

Front cover:

Inside:

Inserts (in one photo to save some space; response card left, map on the right):

The invites were a modified pocketfold I created.  They are about 8" tall and 5" wide and trimmed and folded from a 12x12" piece of cardstock.  The cover features a strip of scrapbooking paper.  Inside the pocket is a response card in an envelope (with a heart stamp on the envelope flap) and a map.  I drew the map on a larger piece of paper, then scanned it, reduced it to fit, and printed it.  Everything was printed on a regular black and white laser printer.

Reserved Seating

I'm including these because I almost forgot to make them, so I thought it might jog other people's memory.  Simple cardstock with wide grosgrain ribbon to tie them to the chairs.

Seating Chart

I hand-lettered each set of names in a different writing style.  The numbers are wooden numbers I found on sale at a dollar store for 10 cents per set of six numbers.  I coloured some of the surfaces with stamp pads.

Place Cards

The placecards were actually folded out of tiny blue paperbags.  Names were handwritten on small tags, backed in brown paper, and rubber cemented on.  Guests could then unfold their paper bags to take home treats from the...

Candy Centrepieces!

In the centre of each table was a mirror with a mix-matched collection of old glassware on it, each glass filled with a different type of blue or brown candy!  No two tables were the same.  My mom, aunt, maid of honour and I collected the glassware from thrift stores for months leading up to the wedding, trying to find quirky pieces.  Among the glassware was itsy bitsy liquor glasses, massive margarita glasses, a glass beaker, tiny crystal mugs, and more.  Everyone really liked the centrepieces - there was something to snack on if you were hungry, and who doesn't like candy!  Guests were also invited to take a piece of the centrepiece glassware home.

(Also in this picture: the table numbers.  Simple tent cards with numbers stamped on them.  I didn't have any big number stamps, but spotted a fun foam math bath toy at the dollar store, and used the numbers from it - worked great!)

On the head table we used a line of glasses.  The link is to a picture of the flower girl filling up her bag at the head table.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/16823GauthierPhoto_Jennifer_Dave_DSC_6064_F.jpg

Favours:

The favours were cookie cutters - practical yet inexpensive.  Dave picked the airplanes, which were a huge hit (he has his pilot's license and works in the aircraft industry).  To add a personal crafty touch to them, I printed out little tags with our names and the date, and stamped the back (it says "A little something...").  Inside was one of my favourite cookie cutter cookie recipes.

Flowers & Flower Girl's dress

The absolutely gorgeous flowers were done by my Godmother.  She did an amazing job.  The daisy theme was carried throughout the bouquets.

My mom sewed the flower girl's dress for me, as I was getting too busy near the end.  I picked the pattern and material.  I absolutely love this dress.  I've asked her mom (my cousin) to have the dress back once she's outgrown it so that my daughter (if I have one) can one day wear it.

Action shot of the dress:

Cakes:

The cakes weren't quite homemade - we bought them from White Spot, which shocked everyone (White Spot is a local restaurant best known for its hamburgers).  My Godmother decorated them with flowers.   She also made the beautiful floral baskets in the background.  The baskets initially sat at the base of the ceremony arch.

"Scrapbooky" Photos over the years pages

I had pages of Dave and I growing up in the hallways.  We picked out some of our favourite shots, and I put them together into pages that will slide into the back of our wedding album.  I did about 25 or so pages; here are four.  They were a big hit, as Dave's family could see me growing up, and vice versa.  We also made an effort to include photos with other people (such as our cousins), which added further interest.

Guest Book Bowl

Unfortunately, no one took a photo of the overall setup, but I laid out several different sizes and shapes of several colours of paper on a plate, and a bunch of acid free gel pens.  This sign was propped up nearby, along with a giant round (fish-bowl like) vase for people to drop their notes into.  The notes we got were awesome - so nice to read once we returned from our honeymoon.

-----

Wow, that's a lot of stuff.  I hope you like it!  I loved it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010 08:41:33 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007 09:32:12 PM »

your wedding looks like it was really beautiful, fun, and unique! Congratulations! I especially like your centerpieces and the cookie cutter favors! So original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
mimi123333
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007 09:35:07 PM »

wow, you've put so much time into this.  i love everything you did and the sweet and simple style that you did it in.  maybe some day soon i'll get to be crafty for my own wedding, but for now i'll live through your's  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Promise me you'll always remember:
you're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem and
smarter than you think"
-- Christopher Robin to Pooh
barnes89
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007 09:37:00 PM »

This is so lovely! I love the brown and blue theme! And the save the dates turned out great- I absolutely love them! Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropdeadjen
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007 11:25:02 PM »

I LOVE those save the dates! In fact, I LOVE everything you did! I can't wait till I get married... of course, I should probably start with a boyfriend...

Good luck to you both! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can you make things that will look cute in my apartment? Let's swap!
daiconharuko
Daikon Eklectik

this daikon is eklectik

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007 11:41:29 PM »

Awww how great! I LOVE the Save-the-dates!!! What a pretty wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roniti

I'm a craftster disguised as a soldier!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007 03:46:41 AM »

Wow! Awesome job!  I love the originality, the colors, and how you made things yourself and saved so much money by doing so.  I hope to do something similar when I get married.. I've already been making mental plans and he hasn't even popped the question yet haha!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eek! I joined the army!  Now I don't have much time for crafting Sad
angelsinc_queen
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007 04:53:49 AM »

Absolutely beautiful!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007 05:30:40 AM »

It looks to me like you had yourself a beautiful wedding
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007 07:10:32 AM »

First of all, CONGRATS!  What a gorgeous bride you are!! Smiley

Secondly... I love your centerpieces!  The photo of your flowergirl getting candy is adorable.

Everything matched and flowed together so well.  I'm proud of my fellow Craftster! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Blueberry and Banana Muffins
How to Make Brownie Tarts
How to Make Drunken Honey Figs with Cashew Nut Cream
Plum and Apple Cobbler Recipe
How to Make Marshmallows Dipped in Chocolate
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...