A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1st needle felting project- coaster w/ initial  (Read 1112 times)
Tags for this thread: needle_felted  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amyb444
« on: August 12, 2007 03:14:16 PM »

I'm nervous about posting this because I know it's pretty lame and boring, but this is my very first needle felted project, and I'm excited. I usually hang out in the knitting board, and I know those guys are pretty cool with beginners posting simple things, so I'm hoping you guys will bear with me and my coaster. The main part of the coaster is knitted and then felted (it was a swatch for a felted knitting project that I've been using as a coaster for months). I used Patons Classic Merino yarn because that's all I had lying around.
an A I just made up to mess with the felting kit

the back

I have a couple questions too. Do I keep stabbing until the plying disappears (if that's the right word, I'm talking about the twists)? By looking at the back, did I stab too deeply? You can't see a lot of the brown, but there is some. Are you supposed to see any of the color you're felting on? Sorry if these questions have already been answered a bunch of times, I tried searching the discussions board but I don't even know enough about felting to know what to ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftladyofsteel
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007 03:18:19 PM »

I can't give you any felting advice but I love your color choice. Overall it is just stunning. Don't be afraid of us. We don't bite.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007 07:15:13 PM »

No need to be nervous! Your coaster is adorable. I love swirliness of the A, and the colour choice too.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
amyb444
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007 09:56:31 PM »

Thanks! I'm glad to know you aren't scary, since I plan on doing more of this, I'll be over at this board more often.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corduroy cat
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007 04:24:19 AM »

BOO!  Wink
actually i'm only scarey when i'm hungry, so you lucked out today, teehee.

i think your coaster is fab! the colour is great and your needle felted A is really nicely done. as far as the back goes, i just needle it until the yarn starts poking through a bit so you know it's attached to the base well and can't be lifted out. looks like you did just that, so you're on the right track! as far as the texture of the yarn showing (the twists) that's exactly how it should look. i think if you tried to needle them in until they weren't showing you'd be too rough on the yarn. you can always take the yarn apart and use just the threads if you want a less textured look.
that's my opinion on the matter, graceoblivious might have more tips or you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
econolines r 4 girls

yuppy girls can't pull this off

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007 04:00:47 PM »

Oh my gosh it is so not boring or lame, I have never felted in my life, and have just started looking at all the feltd completed projects... now I really want to give it a try I think... but that pink color is amazing, I love it, nice job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*go vegan*
for YOU, for ANIMALS, for EARTH
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Cute Hairstyles for Long Hair
How to Do Cute Hairstyles for Medium Length Hair
How to Treat Dry, Frizzy Hair
How to Do Glamorous Everyday Hairstyles
How to Do an Elegant Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...