A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: love to sew....hate the aftermath  (Read 3255 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mimi_sita12
This is my lucky fin -wiggle wiggle-

[...Found Nemo!...]

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2004 01:26:47 PM »

i love to sew but almost nothing i make comes out wearable (lets leave it at that) share some of your 'botches' of sewing.

~mimi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just keep swimmin, swimmin, swimmin.
geekburger

I'm a Beastie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004 02:29:25 PM »

hmmm. lets see......

there was the time I was sewing a hat (simplest hat in the world BTW) and I messed up. Tongue so I seam ripped it. Undecided Then I messed up again, and I seam ripped  it again. So you can imagine when I finally finished, it didn't look quite right.   Cheesy

For a really long time, I couldn't even get a jordy to come out right because I never knew i was pinching the corners wrong til my grandma told me I wasn't supposed to sew it like that. Grin

When I was working on my first zippered pouch (I had been scared of zippers for a long time) I broke not one, but TWO machine needles. Cheesy

I seems bad sewing luck comes in twos, two mess ups, two corners I didn't pinch right, two machine needles broken. Tongue  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004 02:38:46 PM »

I have a tendency to stop with whatever I'm doing if something goes wrong. Sometimes I'm really stubborn and keep sewing that seam until it does what I want it to, but sometimes, for no reason at all I just quit in the middle of things...like the petticoat that ALMOST finished. Or the pants I've been working on since this july.
Somehow it's always the stuff I'm making for myself that goes into the hiding of the wardrobe(...where it lies ashamed 'til I get a grip on myself and make something new out of it, for someone else....)
I'm simply LOUSY on making the most ordinary thing for myself (give me a gown with a corset and I'll make it anyday)
I guess I'm just funny that way Smiley
AND, I guess everyone has their wardrobes full of almost finished items...at least I tell that to my conscience. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
mimi_sita12

[...Found Nemo!...]

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004 05:13:24 AM »

lol well if after many unsuceeded tries my sewing fails, then i get angry and throw the cloth into the garbage swear im never going to sew again and then get back to the sewing machine in like 20 minutes.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goddess
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004 10:53:54 PM »

um yeah how about I sewed the neckhole of my first shirt shut? That was fun trying to put it on....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
portobello
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004 09:59:15 PM »

I cannot go through an entire project without totally spacing out and sewing a seam that I have to rip. That's because I go into sew-mode and do a project in a day or two, and I forget to eat and stuff. But it usually turns out okay in the end.

--portobello
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrs.benjimadden
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004 10:51:35 PM »

Well let's see.

I was sewing a fabric, that I later found was too thick and the needle broke, then I lost the needle on the carpet.  The good part is I found it without hurting myself.

I was sewing a mitten and I didnt sew all the layers of fabric together when I was sewing and by the time I was done fixing it the mitten was too small and was all disfigured.

Sewing up a wristband then struggleing with it for a half of an hour before it gets right side out so I can put snaps on it, then the snaps won't go on.

Not sewing both layers of fabric, when I am sewing the edges.  I do this often.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are not vigilant and demanding of your talent everyday, you will slowly become what you hate.

My wist!!
www.wists.com/johkay03
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004 11:01:07 PM »

Goddess, you just completely cracked me up. That sounds exactly like something I would do.

(Oh. Um, hi and stuff. This is my first post. I've been a lurker for ages but decided to finally join.  Grin )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004 11:31:31 PM »

My first project by myself was a lined dress with a zipper. I actually understood the directions and taught myself how to sew everything and it turned out really cute.

I wiggled into it and started to zip it up and felt a little resistance. I threw my shoulders back, exhaled, my dad zipped it up and all was well.... i relaxed my arms and breathed in and RRRRRRIP. there goes the zipper.

I can sew the dress, but I cannot read the tape measure and make the right size..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
mimi_sita12

[...Found Nemo!...]

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004 08:01:33 AM »

hah i agree wit quack that was funny Smiley

and flasheyashley i think i have the same exact problem as well  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Futuristic Hairstyles
Tips for Beachy Waves
Ballerina Bun Hairstyle
Hair Blow Drying Tips
Hair Straightening Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...