A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plastic sparkleball light ball TUTORIAL  (Read 22783 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparkleball lady
« on: August 12, 2007 01:13:49 PM »

I can't stop making sparkleballs.  I'm obsessed.  Photos don't do them justice.  You must see them lit.  They're like tiny dancing ufo's, and what's brilliant is that the handmade ones totally are superior to the storebought.  Below are some directions that worked for me.

TO START:  you'll need 50 plastic cups (9 oz tumblers with slanted sides);  150 (more or less) christmas lights with function control ("chasing lights") and a soldering iron (you can find these at craft stores or hardware stores).   AND you must have good ventilation.  Do not make these indoors!

1.  With a hot soldering iron, poke a hole (approx 1/2 in) through the bottom of all 50 cups.  Divide the cups into 25/25.  You'll make the sparkleball in 2 halves, each with 25 cups.

2.Arrange 12 cups in a circle.
Join each cup to its neighbor at the cup bottoms. Press the hot iron through the bottom-edges of two cups at once. A joint forms as it cools. You are "welding" the cups together. 

3. The next layer has 9 cups. Build this ring on top of the first, one cup at a time.   Join each cup to at least two neighbors-- working from the inside and close to the bottom.  There may be small gaps between some of the cups in the second ring.

4.  Fit the last 4 cups into the space left on top of the hemisphere. Once they're all in place, then join them with the soldering iron. Work close to the cup bottoms and attach each cup to as many others as you can.

5.  Now you're ready to thread the lights.  First, test them to make sure they work!  This is a must.  Now, depending on how many total lights there are, each cup will have 2-3 lights in it, each threaded through the one hole.  
    To thread lights: start at the prong end. Insert the two lights closest to the prong into a cup at the outside rim. (The plug will then hang out when you put the two halves together.)
    Work your way around the ball half, zigzaging from outer cups to inner cups and back. You want to end up on the outer rim, at the cup next to one you started with.  Work slowly, careful not to skip a cup or miss a light. If you crack a cup, that's ok. Work slowly, careful not to skip a cup or miss a light. If you crack a cup, that's ok.

6.  Set aside the completed half. Build the second half just like you did the first. (Steps 1 - 4)

7.  On the second half, insert lights working from the opposite end (the beginning end.) Start with any cup but make sure you finish at the outer rim.The last lights will be the hardest to insert as you juggle the two halves.

8. Press the two halves together, making them fit nicely. When you join them-- be very careful not to burn through to the lights or wire.  You're almost finished.  But go over the sparkleball, making sure each cup is joined to at least two other cups.  I often "notch" any place two cup rims touch, for further support.

9. Make a hanger for the sparkleball. I use a bit of chain and two "s" hooks. But you can also use clear fishing line or wire. Attach the hanger through a hole that goes between two cups and forms a solid bond.

10.  Plug in and enjoy.  Change the light function dial to see the sparkleball dance.  

You can make a mini-sparkleball using 1 oz condiment cups, and I've heard of a giant sparkleball made of 10 oz. cups.  I've used all kinds of lights.  So be creative and post back with your own sparkleball creations.
For more information and photos, check out www.sparkleball.com

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008 02:49:32 PM by sparkleball lady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you have but what you do with it that matters.
raycheezy

Patches are my happiness and my hippyness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007 01:25:06 PM »

That is awesome! A great use for used plastic cups that you don't feel like washing and reusing. I really like the last picture, with all the people holding them in the dark.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I LOVE personal swaps! If you see something I made that you like, and have anything fun or interesting or silly, tell me.
dinostar
Fun Bunny

Stay Crafty!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007 01:38:38 PM »

these are awesome, thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubyTuesday
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007 01:42:45 PM »

Wow they are absolutely fantastic, I'm on the look out for plastic cups now  Grin

...I'm in the UK and the plastic cups we have here look a bit different to the ones you've used, do you know what yours are made of??

EDIT* Yep  Grin just found some on the internet!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007 02:16:47 PM by RubyTuesday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparkleball lady
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007 02:02:35 PM »

I used U.S. cups of varying materials.  Some are soft plastic with a rim and others are hard plastic.  The harder ones make a prettier, sparklier ball.  The softer ones meld slower and make a stronger ball.  You can experiment with a soldering iron before building one.  However, DO use good ventilation. 

And the slanted sides are a must, or the ball will not be round.  I know you can make a bigger one with cups that are not slanted but I have not tried.  Do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you have but what you do with it that matters.
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007 02:26:47 PM »

Love it!  This rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amor_fati
Crafty Nerd for the masses

tasherajean.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007 02:29:27 PM »

i just made my bf go to the dollar store to grab some cups and he will make me one this week!  i love it so much Smiley thanks for the tut
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.tasherajean.etsy.com')

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'tasherajean.etsy.com')
MissNoemi
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007 02:42:26 PM »

I've seen these at craft fairs, but I didn't realize how doable they are! Thank you so much for the tutorial. Smiley I hope mine end up half as beautiful as yours are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitinandwriterchick
My life of knitin and craftin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007 03:02:34 PM »

I love it Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No kniting no life
Know kniting know life..
craftladyofsteel
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007 03:14:27 PM »

i am amazed. You are a genius. The sparkleballs are stunning!! I want to make one tonight! Thank you so much for sharing. This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gamine Chignons at the Monique Lhuillier FW 2014 Show
Best Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
Hair Tips: How To Cover Roots & Grays In Between Colorings
Oscar Inspired Hairstyles
4 Short and Sassy Hairstyles For Spring
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...