A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: holiday sparkleballs  (Read 2101 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparkleball lady
« on: August 12, 2007 12:54:53 PM »

I can't stop making sparkleballs -- aka Christmas plastic cup light balls.  I'm obsessed.  Photos don't do them justice.  You must see them lit.  They're like tiny dancing ufo's, and what's brilliant is that the handmade ones totally are superior to the storebought.  Below are some directions that worked for me.

TO START:  you'll need 50 plastic cups (9 oz tumblers with slanted sides);  140-150 christmas lights with function control ("chasing lights") and a soldering iron (at any hardware or crafts store.) 

1.  With a hot soldering iron, poke a hole (approx 1/2 in) through the bottom of all 50 cups.

2.Arrange 12 cups in a circle.

Join each cup to its neighbor at the cup bottoms. Press the hot iron through the bottom-edges of two cups at once. A joint forms as it cools.

3. The next layer has 9 cups. Build this ring on top of the first, one cup at a time.
Join each cup to at least two neighbors-- working from the inside and close to the bottom.  There may be small gaps between some of the cups in the second ring.

4.Fit the last 4 cups into the space left. Once they're all in place, then join them. Work close to the cup bottoms and attach each cup to as many others as you can.

5.  Now you're ready to thread the lights.  First, test them to make sure they work!  This is a must.  Now, depending on how many total lights there are, each cup will have 2-3 lights in it, each threaded through the one hole. 
    To thread lights: start at the prong end. Insert the two lights closest to the prong into a cup at the outside rim. (The plug will then hang out when you put the two halves together.)     Work your way around the ball half, zigzaging from outer cups to inner cups and back. You want to end up on the outer rim, at the cup next to one you started with.  Work slowly, careful not to skip a cup or miss a light. If you crack a cup, that's ok.

6.  Set aside the completed half. Build the second half just like you did the first. (Steps 1 - 4)

7.  On the second half, insert lights working from the opposite end (the beginning end.) Start with any cup but make sure you finish at the outer rim.The last lights will be the hardest to insert as you juggle the two halves.

8. Press the two halves together, making them fit nicely. When you join them-- be careful not to burn the lights or wire.Go over the sparkleball, making sure each cup is joined to at least two other cups.  I often "notch" any place two cup rims touch, for further support.

9. Make a hanger for the sparkleball. I use a bit of chain and two "s" hooks. But you can also use clear fishing line or wire. Attach the hanger through a hole that goes between two cups and forms a solid bond.

10.  Plug in and enjoy.  Change the light function to see the sparkleball dance. 

You can make a basic sparkleball using regular Christmas lights (100 lights; 2 in each cup)  or mini-sparkleball using 1 oz condiment cups.  I've heard of a giant sparkleball made of 10 oz. cups.  I've used all kinds of lights.  You'll be amazed at what you can find online.  So be creative and post back with your own sparkleball creations.

For more information and photos, check out www.sparkleball.com

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007 06:52:20 AM by sparkleball lady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you have but what you do with it that matters.
nelda_rrr
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007 01:12:25 PM »

i would really love to see your photos but they're not showing up for me. Undecided

oh and thanks for the link they look really cool!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007 01:13:50 PM by nelda_rrr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

live☆laugh☆love
laurie81
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007 10:56:04 AM »

thats awsome!.. but wont they catch on fire? and could you use a glue gun to stick them together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Learn the Basics Of Bricklaying
How to Build a Bridge
The Food Pyramid Design
How to Write Like an Architect Series Preview
Her Health Minute with Artist Darin Grandmason
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...