A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Savannah  (Read 2999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

octagonfudge
« on: August 12, 2007 12:04:35 PM »

Hi!  I am about to move to Savannah at the end of next month (I hope, I just have to secure a job), and I don't know a soul there save one.  I'm rather nervous about this, since I'd like to make friends but am not sure where to find people.  (Wasn't this easier on the playground when you could bond over sharing a jump rope?) I wondering if y'all can give me the skinny on good yarn shops, thrift stores, crafty-like places in general.  Does anyone know of any stitch-n-bitches or anything like that?  I'm looking to meet some crafty-minded people.   I'm a knitter, printmaker, and sewer in my 20s. 

Thanks so much! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jumped on the bandwagon- www.octagonfudge.blogspot.com
kelibare
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007 04:40:26 PM »

Sadly, the only decent yarn shop I've found near here closed down awhile back, and I didn't even get to go to the closeout sales!!!   Cry

A.C.Moore in the Savannah Mall (not the Oglethorpe Mall) has a good selection of yarns, and there is a JoAnne's and a Michael's.  I think Hancock Fabrics might have yarn, but I haven't checked.  There are several of those around. 

As for thrifting, I haven't had the chance to do much of that yet.  I've only been here a year.  But, I've found awesome things in yard sales...check out the paper at www.savannahnow.com and the yard sales are in the classifieds on Friday and Saturday.  I don't know of any groups, but I might participate if I found one.  We may be moving to Richmond Hill soon (will still work in Savannah). 

I'm a crocheter in my 20s, and I'd love to learn to knit.   Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a lot of Lion Brand Homespun that I'd love to trade for something else!

http://www.wists.com/kgpwalters
http://www.myspace.com/kgpwalters
octagonfudge
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007 05:30:32 PM »

Sweet!  Thanks for the tips.  You replied at a very good time, I'm here visiting for a week and will check some stuff out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DropKickGrl

NO, I don't know karate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 05:26:13 PM »

Uh, there is a yarn shop still open on East Liberty, called Wild Fibre.  The SnBs are Tuesday nights from 5 to 9pm.  I go there, a lot, and it's awesome. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jarheadwed

I was a classy bride

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007 09:48:19 AM »

I just moved down here too, and so far have found nothing except for the Mutation craft show in Nov, which looks pretty cool. I was hoping maybe some of the vendors might give me some info of where to buy crafts in this area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magnolia

Bob the Angry Sixtopus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007 03:44:34 PM »

Welcome to Savannah! I just recently relocated to Las Vegas, but lived in Sav for five years and oh how I miss it!

Yes, Wild Fibre (409 E liberty) is a fantastic store to shop for yarn. You can find a few supplies at Primary Art Supply (Broughton and Bull St), especially if you're a printmaker. Also Ex-Libris on Martin Luther King Blvd and Perry st is also pretty decent. They both cater to the art students so  you know you'll find good quality stuff. There is a small fabric shop called Fabrika on 140 Abercorn that has beautiful quality fabrics. While not a craft store, At Home (320 W broughton) has beautiful ribbons and a bunch of vintage cute knick knacks. The Beadstro, just two blocks east of At Home has awesome beads, as well as Bucci Beads a few minutes south at 9 W 40th st. There is a Joanns and Michaels on the commercial southside area of Savannah. All the stores I mentioned above are in the Historic and Victorian districts. It's been 5 months since I left, I wonder if new craft stores have opened!

Any other Savannah questions you have, don't hesitate to ask. I was very involved in the art and craft scene over there (I'm one of the co-organizers of the Mutation Craft fair[.com]). Stop by the craft fair, you'll meet some wonderful people! Also, every first friday of the month several local artists display their artwork on galleries all across town, especially on the Desoto Row/Starland District area (40th and Bull St where Bucci beads is), in the downtown area, and many galleries operated by the Savannah College of Art and Design. Go on November, because I'm sure there won't by much exhibitions on December (many people are out of town).

Okay, I could go on and on and on and on about Savannah. Gotta go back to work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

octagonfudge
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007 07:04:54 PM »

Oh man!  Thank you so much for all that info.  I am here in Savannah right this minute (although still temporarily, but I have a job interview this week, so cross fingers!) and I am planning on going to the SnB Tuesday night at Wild Fibre.  I went in there last time I was down and really enjoyed it.  I'm loving the city a lot, and love being around all these artists is really giving me the kick in the pants I needed.  Thanks for pointing out all the cool places, I will look them up? 

Oh yeah- what is this Mutation thing?  It sounds cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple_Dumplin
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008 06:16:13 PM »

The Hancocks near blockbuster has a little bit of yarn, but nothing like the red needle (the one that closed down.)  I L-O-V-E the yarns at Wild Fibre, but don't get downtown all that much. 

I liked to go to thrift stores too.  There are several goodwill type stores.  The Human Society on Sally Mood has a thrift store above it as well.  If you are just looking for clothes, there are several other thrift stores, but I haven't been to many... just Savannah Anna's on Waters and Once Upon a child. 

The yardsales around here are great!  If you don't mind driving, the ones in surrounding areas (like Pooler , Rincon, Bloomingdale ) are great as well.  If the weather is good, your going to find yardsales!  You can find a lot of them listed on the Savannah section at craigslist ... but really most people don't even advertise them because there are major yardsalers around here.  Smiley

Hope you enjoy Savannah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Darts - The Game of Cricket
Playing Darts - Games of 301 and 501
Playing Darts - Proper Technique
Playing Darts - Equipment
Playing Darts - Basics
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...