A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first knitting project - arm warmers  (Read 1815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Penguinofsorts

Crafts while studying.

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2004 01:18:22 PM »

This is my first knitting project and also my first post!  I'm just so proud that I managed to accomplish knitting something useful!  I used the 'knit a rectangle and sew the edges together' method.

Those are the handmade knitting needles I knitted them with.   Smiley

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010 11:00:03 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This isn't Kansas, and I'm not wearing red shoes.
gaudiknight
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004 01:59:09 PM »

yay!  I'm glad to know those can be made without knitting in the round.  yours look marvelous, as do the knitting needles.  you made them yourself?  I've been trying to do that, and have gotten as far as sanding and oiling the dowels.  what did you do for the fiddlybits on the ends?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penguinofsorts

Crafts while studying.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004 02:36:21 PM »

what did you do for the fiddlybits on the ends?

Heh.  I tied yarn in a knot around the end of the dowel, squished some glue on it, and wrapped the yard about appropriately until  it looked nicely fiddlybitlike  Smiley  and then I tied the yarn in a knot there, and added some glue to help it stay...although it seems to be mostly the knot and leastly the glue doing the work.  Pretty simple and cheap!

For the needles, I cut the dowels shorter than usual - maybe 8 or 9 inches (so that I can use them on a plane with ease)., sanded them with rough and then fine sandpaper, taped them up, spray painted a couple of layers, and then covered the whole thing in wood varnish stuff.  I live in the tropics, so the wood varnish stayed kind of sticky, so I used fine sandpaper and sanded everything down again (leaving on varnish...but smoothing it out somehow), and now they work pretty good!  Not the best, but pretty good!  I'd be up for improvement tips... :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnittyMomma

28 Her children arise and call her blessed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004 05:50:47 PM »

how big is the rectangle? like how many did you cast on etc...what size needles and what yarn...I'm in desperate need for arm warmers and I know zilch about knitting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knittymomma.blogspot.com

Proverbs 31:28-29

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
       her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
       but you surpass them all."
Penguinofsorts

Crafts while studying.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004 06:17:01 PM »

needle size:  umm...I don't know, I haven't measured them, but they're pretty much the size of a pencil (if you can use that for comparison)

cast on:  35 stitches (this was the length of the arm warmer (and came up mid forearm)  so if you want elbow length, you might want to double this

rows:  I think 38 or 40.  I just kep wrapping the knitting around my arm and seeing if that was about right   Smiley ... and I counted 19 rows, but that was with the frontways and backways rows counted together (I think...i'm new at this too)...so probably 38 or 40...but if you get to 19 and it looks plenty big...STOP.

yarn.  Um...I live on an island (a tropical island...a place where knitting isn't really necessary except for socks), and the only thing available to knit with at the fabric store was just 'yarn'...you know?  no brand or anything for this skein in particular.  But it was pretty much the most basic kind of yard ever...not even especially soft or anything.  I'm sorry I can't be of more help...but if you see a yard that you would by for your 3 year old child to glue onto construction paper, that's probably the yard I got....but it made nice arm warmers!  If you get nicer, softer, stretchier yarn, you may want to knit less rows.

This is all technical speak, of course   Wink

Oh yeah, so once you cast off and all that, kind of lay your arm and hand on the fabric (it will look too small, but you want it to be tightish and warm, don't you?  Anyway, kind of mark off where you'd like your thumb to go and do a shoelace type stitch until that point (to join the two edges of fabric).  Then measure again so your thumb will have plenty of room, and do a shoelace  type stitch all the way to the end!  This will allow your sides to be joined pretty evenly.  BEWARE...I found that my cast-on side was a lot looser than my cast-off side...so make sure the sides are even while you're sewing up the edges!!  the cast on side could end up an inch or two longer at the end....and you don't want that!

I hope that helped somewhat!!  If not, ask again, I'll try to answer in English instead of garble!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004 09:26:20 PM »

hmm, your yarn end thingers are much more interesting.  I just glued fimo clay balls on the end.  A friend of mine thought wire would look interesting, but would catch the yarn. well something to keep in mind for the next batch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004 05:14:43 AM »

Wow, those are really cute! What kind of seam did you use? It looks really...seamless  Smiley
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penguinofsorts

Crafts while studying.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004 06:59:44 AM »

Thanks!
Well...in all actuality up close they don't look seamless, but the seam looks kind of cool the way I did it.  I just did a shoelace type seam and then pulled it kind of tight.  When I wear them, you can totally tell it's not a knitted part, but I think that the crisscrosses joining the two sides together add a cool look to the warmers! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnittyMomma

28 Her children arise and call her blessed

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004 12:38:06 PM »

thanks so much for that! Here our "basic" yarn is worsted weight so i'll try that pattern tonight. As far as I've heard a pencil is about a size 8 needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knittymomma.blogspot.com

Proverbs 31:28-29

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
       her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
       but you surpass them all."
nyxsoccer
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008 06:17:33 PM »

A good idea for the ends of home-made needles is: glue beads to the ends!  You can really personalize them with home-made beads if you're *really* crafty...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No power in the 'verse can stop me...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Scarborough Fare Boneless Pork Chops Recipe
Barbecue Bean Bake Recipe
Brown Sugar Glazed Ham Recipe
Fritos Chili Pie Casserole Recipe
Pan-Seared Garlic Filet Mignon Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...