A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
777 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elann's pinwheel sweater  (Read 25720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wickedgoodknitta
Would like to be a wicked betta knitta!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 18, 2007 03:49:01 PM »

i did the i-cord on the needles specified, and it worked out really well - didn't bunch up, made a great edge.

One of my knitting group members has made this and I thought I'd pass on this;

when she blocked it the i-cord edging was bunching up and not as large in diameter as the knitted circle - she tried to ease it with blocking and the i-cord snapped. [gah!]

It is also on the naughty step but I thought I'd mention it as she must have significantly changed her gauge for the i-cord so... knit loose as poss for the i-cord!! I may use bigger needles.

This is a photo of my current I-cord status. I started mine last night on 10's (didn't have 9's). It seemed too loose, long, and loopy. I then went to 8's (still didn't have 9's). I thought the finish was nicer, but still a little more loopy than the nice, neat, tight spiral I'm hoping for. I was planning to rip it out tonight, and start over with 10 rows for each I-cord instead of 12. I'm aware that I need to stretch my round a little to be sure the I-cord isn't making the main body bunch. But is it the great wisdom of the knitting craftsters that it is better for it to be a little loopy because blocking will stretch the sweater, but not the I-cord? Or, in other words, should I rip it out or just keep going as is? The Red Sox are making a last ditch effort tonight, which is always good for 3 hours of knitting.

**Special thanks to my 13-year-old son for taking the photo and uploading it for me while I was making dinner.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007 04:28:23 PM by wickedgoodknitta » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Go Red Sox!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2007 04:12:14 PM »

I hadn't noticed the i-cord edging before! It's pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
lamantin
Procraftinator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: October 18, 2007 11:23:58 PM »

I nixed the i-cord - we'll see how it looks once I finish the second sleeve and can wear the damn thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hulk angry! Hulk STASH! /  http://procraftinator.wordpress.com
MairWear
« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2007 07:49:59 AM »

I, too, nixed the i-cord.... just bound off.  I kinda like the non-fancy edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lamantin
Procraftinator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2007 11:55:36 PM »

I finished last night (eight days... =) ) and, hm. It fits across the back, no problem, but the rest is pretty small. Worn "long" it's like a short cardigan, and worn "short" it's like a shrug with a big hood thing. It's probably for switching to slightly too-small needles, but oh well. I'm going to block it and see what happens.

And then post pictures, of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wickedgoodknitta

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 25, 2007 05:13:40 AM »

I feel like I've knitted like a fiend for a month, so I'm in awe of those who do this in a few weeks or less. I've finished the two-colored I-cord, which I'm happy with in the end, and I'm onto the sleeves. The longer the World Series goes, the sooner this project will finally be complete.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Go Red Sox!
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #256 on: October 25, 2007 05:22:04 AM »

if you got the i-cord done, the sleeves will zip right on by - i found the i-cord part to be the most time consuming, since you have to deal with 3 stitches at a time - but i love how the edging came out!

I feel like I've knitted like a fiend for a month, so I'm in awe of those who do this in a few weeks or less. I've finished the two-colored I-cord, which I'm happy with in the end, and I'm onto the sleeves. The longer the World Series goes, the sooner this project will finally be complete.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
wisegirl
« Reply #257 on: November 06, 2007 12:15:50 PM »

I started mine about three weeks ago, also knitting in every spare second, and am on the first sleeve.  I'm so excited at how it is turning out!  I agree, the i-cord edging took forever!! but I am so glad I did it because it looks great.  I opted to use only one color, like the child's version, and I think I like it better because it isn't too busy on the edge. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just listen to the wind, mother nature's violin."  Chris LeDoux

check out my etsy shop; www.prairiemother.e tsy.com
wickedgoodknitta

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 07, 2007 07:36:08 PM »

The knitting is complete!! Just need to weave in the ends and block well, as I need to solve the concave shape of the smallest pinwheel color. Depending how much time I have and how warm the weather is here for drying, I hope to have photos by the end of the weekend.

My next project will be a real challenge for me -- the LB Knit Luxe Tunic. But I love the shape and after years of staying with safe projects, I need to expand my skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Go Red Sox!
lamantin
Procraftinator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: November 11, 2007 02:45:59 PM »

How did y'all block this thing? Mine is still sitting around, waiting for me to decide on the best way to go about it, both regarding the surface and the general method.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beyond the Aesthetics of Art
Art Station at Mood Indigo, IIT Mumbai
Latte Artist Michael Breach LIVE
Latte Artist Shares Secret To Spicing Up Your Cup Of Joe
George Zimmerman Painting Sells For More Than $100K On EBay
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...