A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elann's pinwheel sweater  (Read 25824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soozeq
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2007 07:46:05 PM »

Okay, I'll try to explain it queen_g....

The yo sts won't be `extra' anymore than the other 200 or so stitches are extra, they'll be part of the sweater body, just not part of the sleeves.

You only work on the 30 armhole stitches separately for a bit, just to put them on holders and make the provisional CO. Then you pick up the sweater yarn and knit the YO st and the stitches in the next section all the way around.

It may help you figure it out if you make a smaller sample of the sweater... CO and knit until you have about 9 sts in each section. Then do the armhole/sleeve stitches over 8. Doing it on a small scale may help you see how it works out. Or just go ahead with it. If you make a mistake, you can take it out, you don't have to get it right on the first try.

I'll try to go step by step for the sleeve opening -
When you get there, drop the sweater yarn, pick up the scrap yarn and knit the 30 sts. Then turn it around like you do at the end of a row, and knit back across them. Turn again, drop the scrap yarn, pick up the sweater yarn and knit the 30 sts made with the scrap yarn, knit the yo and go to the next section. When you get to the next round, those stitches will just be knit as if you were making one giant circle. You don't have to do anything with the sts on the scrap yarn until you're ready to do the sleeves.

Did that help make it clearer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
rhawny
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2007 08:08:13 PM »

queen_g it isn't nearly as hard as it seems.  as a fellow newbie i can attest to that.

i found the best way to build my confidence was to try it on scrap yarn first. just knit up a little square and try it out.  i even added the start of a sleeve to see how it worked.  that way when you come to the real thing you've already worked out the kinks and you're certain you're doing the right thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2007 09:03:34 PM »

Oh true, rhawny, I didn't even think of that. You don't have to do the whole pattern, CO about 20 sts, knit an inch, then do the sleeve thing over the 16 sts in the middle, then you can see how it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2007 04:03:04 AM »

I have a question about the sleeves too, sorry if it's been answered and I didn't get it Wink
When you do the provisional CO, do you knit these stitches with the original yarn right after, to not break the original yarn?
The way I understand provisional is that you do it with a scrap yarn, which you later rip out and throw away to reveal the stitches, getting to work with those for the sleeves... but the instructions are unclear to a noob like me. It sounds like they're saying
knit, put stitches on holder
join yarn for provisional-do provisional, knit following stitches normal..
While it seems reasonable to me to do
knit, put stitches on holder
join yarn for provisional - do provisional, knit original yarn over provisional
knit following stitches normal with original yarn...?

oh, and I didn't understand the provisional instructions on elann so I looked it up at knittinghelp.com instead, which seems to differ from elann's...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007 04:04:17 AM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
queen_gueneviere
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2007 06:18:04 AM »

Thanks so much for all of your help all.  Roll Eyes And soozeq, thanks for the detailed instructions. I think that I finally actually get it now. It's about time eh? lol.
I'm just confused about the picking up of the sweater yarn, after you drop the scrap yarn. If I continue on with the sweater yarn, wouldn't that mean that I'd be knitting the sleeves at the same time as I'm knitting the sweater?
As opposed to, knitting the sleeves after the rest of the sweater is finished?
I think that's a great idea, to do a smaller sample first. That way, I'll have a much better idea of what's going on. I'll definately do that instead. Thanks so much for that great tip.  Roll Eyes
Thanks also for the tip on going to knittinghelp.com, to check out what they have to say about the provisional cast on. I'm going to check that out too.  Cheesy
I've put this away for too long now. It's time for me to get back to it.
In the meantime, I've knit another "Panta" to pass the time. lol.
Thanks again for all of your help, from all of you great craftster geniuses.  Grin
Oh and rhawny and Charfish, I love the colours that you're using. They look great! I wish that I could have found nice colours like yours.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2007 07:10:58 AM »

The point of the scrap yarn is to close the gap for the sleeves; it acts as both a stitch holder and provisional CO and allows you to continue with the body. Do the practice piece and you'll see how it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
pregnantknitting
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2007 10:43:20 AM »

What do you think of this:  Adding a fancy-ish ribbing from the Over the Edge book?  I've never altered a pattern before but this is for a little girl so it really can't be gaudy enough...you know how 4 year old girls are!
Has anyone tried doing an interesting edging?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2007 11:35:18 AM »

What do you think of this:  Adding a fancy-ish ribbing from the Over the Edge book?  I've never altered a pattern before but this is for a little girl so it really can't be gaudy enough...you know how 4 year old girls are!
Has anyone tried doing an interesting edging?

i did the adult version, with the twisting I-cord edging... and while it seemed to take forever, it gave it a nice finish - so i'm partial to that edging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
soozeq
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2007 12:51:02 PM »

I did a lacy ribbed edging... lessee, goes like this --

k3,p3 around,
k2tog, yo, k1, p3,
k3, ssp, yo, p1
k1, yo, ssk, p3
k3, p1, yo, p2tog

or some variation of that. It's reversible too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
queen_gueneviere
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2007 03:46:37 PM »

Ok, I confess. I must be a real dufuss because I just can't figure out that provisional cast on, for the life of me.  Embarrassed
I printed off the tutorial from stitchdiva but, I'm still having problems.
There are alot of tutorials via videos but, I prefer a printed out step-by-step tutorial.
Would anybody happen to know of any other good step-by-step tutorials, that I can print out? For the provisional cast on but, with knitting already on the needles. Just like for the sweater.
Thanks for any help that you could give to me. I'm really stuck here.  Roll Eyes
At this rate, I might get the sweater finished by next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is a California Roll
How to Use Chopsticks
Stir Fry Food Technique - Chinese Culinary Chicago
Chef school class - chinese food equipment
Chinese cuisine class - food ingredients
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...