A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,903
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elann's pinwheel sweater  (Read 27841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prettyfloralbonnet
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2007 06:22:00 AM »

good luck pregnant knitting!  What colors and yarn did you get?  I'm a fan of less colors honestly.  This will be a fun way for you to learn how to change colors.  If you get stuck, ask for help here or watch the video at knittinghelp.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I used to be strictly a yarn girl but now I'm teaching myself to sew.  Help! Smiley

My family's crafty blog: http://chimpsgomoo.wordpress.com
rhawny
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2007 12:21:25 PM »

ok guys i have 2 whole questions

a) i'm only up to 200st per round and my 32" circular needle is getting pretty nicely filled.  my paranoia is suggesting that by the end i'm going to be struggling to keep everything on the needle and not know how big it is.  please reassure me that everything will turn out ok!

b) i'm using merino and when i tried to felt my colour changes together it didn't work - don't know if this is normal or not. anyway, i just weaved in a few ends the way described at www.knittinghelp.com and they've popped out a little.  they're on the back of the sweater but i'm scared it's all going to unravel.  is there a better way to do it and/or a way to ensure nothing bad happens with what i've done already? i weaved in about 3 inches of ends... was it enough?

[/first project paranoia]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2007 12:26:53 PM »

the knitting will be fine - it fills the needles, and looks like a big ol' shower cap or something until you can lay it out flat

as for the loose ends....... you can always anchor them with a darning needle, either now or when you're done - just stitch them around a couple of stitches so they're anchored.

ok guys i have 2 whole questions

a) i'm only up to 200st per round and my 32" circular needle is getting pretty nicely filled.  my paranoia is suggesting that by the end i'm going to be struggling to keep everything on the needle and not know how big it is.  please reassure me that everything will turn out ok!

b) i'm using merino and when i tried to felt my colour changes together it didn't work - don't know if this is normal or not. anyway, i just weaved in a few ends the way described at www.knittinghelp.com and they've popped out a little.  they're on the back of the sweater but i'm scared it's all going to unravel.  is there a better way to do it and/or a way to ensure nothing bad happens with what i've done already? i weaved in about 3 inches of ends... was it enough?

[/first project paranoia]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
apixiegrl
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2007 08:48:03 AM »

Both sweaters are beautiful.. This is one of my favorite sweaters. If i didn't live in Florida I would make the adult size for me.. (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2007 08:55:08 AM »

There's a lacy vest version up now at elann... http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=254024
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
pregnantknitting
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2007 11:05:12 AM »

EEEk!  I'm STILL stuck on this knitting with 4 needles start off.  I'm getting better each time but it's SOO tricky and always ends up with some strands reaching across and doesn't look right.  I'm usually not-too-picky so I'm sure to get it to a tolerable base at some point.  I just want to get on my circulars right away- I think I'll be alright from there!
prettyfloral-my colors are nothing special but it's for my daughters (hopefully I can make two) one is 6 and in love with anything that is tackily pink and purple, my other daughter is 1 1/2 and wants whatever her sister has.  There's also an ugly yellow color because I had an orange on my wish list to tie in but the orange was sold out.  it's nice and soft though- Cascade Yarns cloud 9, wool/angora
Maybe I'll figure this out this afternoon but it's rainy so I might have to spend the time playing chess and candyland...ack!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyfloralbonnet
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2007 11:50:25 AM »

soozep: thanks for the link, I like the way the vest looks, I might even make one for myself.

pregnantknitting: It does get easier onceyou get to the circs, if I could help youwith the dpns I would.  Enjoy candyland!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I used to be strictly a yarn girl but now I'm teaching myself to sew.  Help! Smiley

My family's crafty blog: http://chimpsgomoo.wordpress.com
pregnantknitting
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2007 12:27:38 PM »

ALRIGHTY THEN!  I did it, i did it, i did it!  Hooray for me!  After 300 views of the technique on knittinghelp.com and 3 days I've figured it out.  I'm up to the k6 YO round and i am looking forward to my circs!
what about fewer color changes?  i have 5 colors.  should i just eyball it?  or switch every 14 rows?  anyone have a good estimate?  it's a kid-size....so if i had 7 colors i'd switch every 10 rows.
thanks for the encouragement...it worked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pregnantknitting
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2007 12:28:58 PM »

ooh!  i'm admiring the lacy version- if I get good I could make one for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2007 12:32:10 PM »

yes on the row count - just take the total number of rows the pattern calls for, and then divide by the number of colors you want to use - so the 14 works out correctly

ALRIGHTY THEN!  I did it, i did it, i did it!  Hooray for me!  After 300 views of the technique on knittinghelp.com and 3 days I've figured it out.  I'm up to the k6 YO round and i am looking forward to my circs!
what about fewer color changes?  i have 5 colors.  should i just eyball it?  or switch every 14 rows?  anyone have a good estimate?  it's a kid-size....so if i had 7 colors i'd switch every 10 rows.
thanks for the encouragement...it worked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw The Moon
How To Draw A Cartoon Alien
How To Draw Saturn
How To Draw Cartoon Monsters
How to Draw a Drum Set
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...