A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: christmas when your broke?  (Read 3423 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2004 12:17:59 PM »

ok so I have no money this year and my family is hard enough to get gifts for when I do get have money!!!  any ideas whould be loved, appreciated and leave me so grateful youd have no idea!!! You guys are so clever its scary sometimes.
my list
*my ever adorable mother who is the all time crafter by trade and can make everything I can and make it better faster and cheaper!
*my 76 year old grandmother who is too cute for words
*my 78 year old grandfather who is ever cuter for words and his birthday is tuesday ACK!
*my dad the carpenter who says every year "dont get me anything I dont need it" (i think they modeled the grinch after him)
*my dads girl friend ivy who is a gardener and a speech pathologist and is a wonderful awesome woman and gives gifts that make you think anything you ever give her sucks in comparason.
*the father in law-hes some kind of computer guy i dont think he actually likes anything
*the mother in law sweet as a button but no matter what you give her she looks at it blanky and puts puts it down and says ok whats next. she doesnt mean to hurt peoples feeling but she does.
*the sister in law. already got her somthing she easy anything shiny and sparky
*brother in law off in iraq.....

*the HUSBAND!!!! AHHHHH...... and our wedding anniversary is right before christmas. he is a computer guy and a nerd a cute nerd.

maybe if I show you a picture itll help.... Smiley

thanksgiving
 husband, dads girlfiriend, dad, gram and pop
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candysniper
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004 12:28:43 PM »

How about perishables?
...or semi-perishables.

Seasoned or candied nuts are good. You could mix up some nuts that are local to your area (filberts here) with some sugar and spice and slowly bake them in the oven at 200F for a couple of hours. After that, bag them with some fun ties, decorate the bags, and make some fun cards or tags explaining what's in them. If you're not short on time you could tailor recipes to each person's tastes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't you find something constructive to do?
-My Mother

No more spray painting in the laundry room.
-My Boyfriend
hillarybillary

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004 12:31:38 PM »

that sounds yummy I typed in nut recipe in google and I found this!!!
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/nuts/nuts.html
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candysniper
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004 12:32:52 PM »

YuM! I may need to make some too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't you find something constructive to do?
-My Mother

No more spray painting in the laundry room.
-My Boyfriend
wenderella

circle circle dot dot handmade cuteness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004 12:51:33 PM »

Your in-laws sound way too similar to mine!!  For all the hard to buy for people, i am making fabric bowls (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_instructions/article/0,,HGTV_3302_2758344,00.html) and then i'm filling them with hot cocoa, candy, candles, a christmas ornament, and some other little things.  i went to target and picked up a couple of those gift sets that have cocoa and candy and other things in them and broke them apart and I'm going to share them between the bowls... basically like doing a gift basket but where the container is pretty and useful.  Each one is costing me $15-20, and i'm giving them to couples, not individuals, so it's pretty cheap.  You could even bake all the things to go inside them or sew cute little potholders (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=17143.0) to add with the foodstuffs.  Or, if you don't want to make fabric bowls, you could probably find some cute christmas bowls for pretty cheap.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiekat82

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004 05:55:28 PM »

I was in Dollar Tree today (I'm not sure if they have this specific chain all over the nation, but they're pretty prominent here in the South and I love it!)-- They had tons of really cool Christmas gifty type stuff that didn't LOOK like it came from Dollar Tree. I got my mom these great huge soft cotton trivets with candy canes on them, got my sister in law a mat with snowmen on it, and got a couple of cute tins to put candy and etc. in. They also had great photo frames... Sounds stupid but if you're truly broke, you can't beat $1!
Here's another food related idea- Get cheap coffee mugs (Dollar Tree? haha) and fill them with chocolate covered spoons for mixing into coffee. You can buy candy melts at Wal Mart, the grocery store, and the major craft chains, and melt them in the microwave (seriously! it's good!) and dip the spoons in them. You can also add nice flavors with the Wilton candy flavorings. You can tie little christmas ribbons on and *voila*! You can also make a really fantasic candy this way- Just get some microwave meltable caramel as well, put one layer melted chocolate, one caramel, and one more chocolate on a flat metal pan, chill until hard, and break into pieces. (It's GOOD!) We made it at AC Moore when I worked there this summer.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolly Parton is my spiritual leader, and Clint Eastwood is my sewing buddy.
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004 06:17:10 PM »

How about cookies (home baked of course) or breads, fleece scarves are easy and fleece comes in lots of patterns. For your parents you can make little IOU cards with various favors on them, dinner prepared by yours truly, a massage, house cleaning...) Or take pictures and frame them, thats always a favotite with my family. Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
SCARVELOUS
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004 05:25:17 AM »

hillarybillary thanks for posting the links to the nuts site.  I made several batches of sweet and savoury nuts yesterday, then ran to Michaels to get the jars and the ribbon to tie around them to make them look a little festive.

Does anyone know where I can get the little fabric pieces that go on top of  the jars, I looked in Michaels, and they didn't have them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OUT OF MY MIND....BUT FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A MESSAGE
hillarybillary

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004 08:29:22 AM »

i would just cut them out of fabric with pinkig shears.
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadgirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ndnchick

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004 07:42:16 PM »

I went to the Dollar Tree and bought picture frames. (the kind that don't look like they came from the $ store.   Cheesy )   I am going to put a picture of my boys in them and give those to each couple.   Cheesy  They were a big hit a few years ago! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...