A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sparkle Hat (and a few other hats)  (Read 1792 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suziewrong
« on: January 13, 2005 10:50:28 PM »

Here is my Spark Hat (complete with Paillettes!) that I knit out of some random synthetic fuzzy stuff. I really love this hat, but it's too large for me, so I wear it like a cloche. It looks really cute but falls off! I think I might run a ribbon through it to make it fit better.

I really liked knitting with the paillettes! It was confusing at first, but worked out well once I got the hang...plus I learned a lot from working this pattern.

Here are a few more hats that I've knit this winter. I love making hats especially on my size 15 double points with yummy, chunky yarn. Fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
niza
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005 11:07:48 PM »

oh wow! those are beautiful! I especially love the grey one with the flower detail. I am a beginner at knitting and currently I'm working on a scarf for my cuz in who is in Sweden...I think the hat would go perfect with the scarf! I would really appreciate it if you could give me some instructions and the pattern for that hat...they're all lovely! great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005 11:16:52 PM »

very nice! all of it. I love the color you chose for the sparkle hat, that's a god take on it. I wasnt so thrilled about it, when I saw the pattern, but I love your version!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
suziewrong
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005 01:16:15 AM »

Thanks so much,  gals! You are so sweet.

Regarding the pattern for the grey hat, I pretty much made it up. Hats are fairly simple. I started with one basic hat pattern, and then just improvised from there. You will need to adjust for gauge and head size...I have a big head! (I used chunky wool on size 15 double points)

This is the basic pattern:

Cast on 40 stitches onto double pointed needles [note that I did the black band in reverse stockinette - i.e., purl all rows on the dps, then switched to stockinette, i.e. knit all rows on the dpns, when I switched to the grey.]
knit 24 rounds (or until the hat seems big enough to start shaping the decrease)
then k2, k2 together one round--->30 stitches
knit one round
k2, k2together one round-->20 stitches
knit one round
k2, k2together one round-->10 stitches
knit one round
cut yarn and draw through all stitches

And that's it!

I made the flower just with yarn tied around the middle with the contrasting color yarn - it's not knit or anything.

A really easy pattern but it works quite well I think!

Have fun and post pics, please. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005 01:17:50 AM by suziewrong » THIS ROCKS   Logged
niza
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005 01:39:33 AM »

Tks! will definitely try this one out soon as i'm done wt the scarf...i'm a slow knitter lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
platybat
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005 01:59:20 PM »

In case anyone wants to see some more hats inspired by the SNB Sparkle Hat, here are three more:

The first (blue) was done according to the Sparkle Hat pattern (without paillettes, and with an extra yarn at the brim), and turned out HUGE, even for my enormous head.  Actually, it's about the right size for me, but it looks a little stupid, so I think I will felt it.

The second (grey with blue stripes), was done with the same number of stitches cast on as the Sparkle hat, but no purling and no paillettes, and I decreased on 4 double pointed needles instead of 3.
Here's a close(r)-up:

For the third (extra-whacky leafy-green!), I modified the Sparkle Hat pattern a little -- I changed the number of knits between paillettes (to 5, I think), and then I only shifted the paillettes by one stitch in each subsequent paillette row, to get a more diagonal pattern.  I think I have a few too many paillettes though, and may attempt to cut some off (gasp).  This hat used Schaefer's Blossom yarn in Green Jeans, with two colors of leafy sequins (punched larger holes) from Cartwright's Sequins (http://www.ccartwright.com/hologram.html). 
Here's a close(r) up of the extra-whacky leafy-green sparkle hat:

And OH, these were the first non-scarves I ever knit....  But, I am working on a pseudo-matching scarf for the leafy green hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Club Flyer Part 1/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Importing Images Part 2/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Deleting Backgrounds Part 3/14
How to Create Borders with Basic Masking
How to Create Black and White Images in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...