A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,530
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Centralia - help?  (Read 3817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MopTopStumptown
« on: August 11, 2007 11:25:50 AM »

After a strange 18 months in Cleveland, the hubby & I are headed back to the Pacific Northwest.  We're moving to the Centralia area and I have no clue where any of the local crafting spots might be... are there any?  I'm pretty familiar with stuff down in Portland (lived there for 6 years) and up in Seattle, but not much inbetween. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennBabe
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007 03:22:30 PM »

If you're a knitter, there is a small yarn shop in Chehalis (next to Centralia).    It's called Yarn&Things, and it's on Market Blvd. There is a Michaels down there, but I'm not sure what else.  A few miles north in Olympia (where I am) there is a JoAnn Fabric and Craft Superstore, Michaels, and Canvas Works, a larger Yarn shop.  There is also a quilting shop in Olympia, but I can't remember the name.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wildfyre
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007 04:26:23 PM »

If you're a quilter there's Gee Gee's Quilting store in Yelm.

Welcome to the area  Smiley I'm actually in Yelm but it's not that far. We run to Centralia/Chehalis area for crafting supplies alot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
Wildfyre
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007 08:34:09 AM »

Here are some links-
Quilting shop in Olympia - http://www.baysidequilting.com/
Shipwreck Beads - http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/
Canvas Works - http://www.canvasworks.net/

and as far as I could tell Yarns and Things doesn't have a web page but they're located at 
YARN & THINGS
545 N MARKET BLVD #5
360-748-2134
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007 04:01:47 PM »

Yea!  Thank you for the tips!  I actually just found my closest US Bank (all the way in freaking Oly) and while finding my way back south discovered Canvas Works --- can't wait until I get a job and a paycheck, because seriously... it looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennBabe
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007 09:37:39 PM »

It is a great place, good selection, etc.  I have had bad experiences with the owners and other employees in the store.  Rudeness, snobby, etc. 

They only carry products that have some sort of natural fiber content in them, and turn their noses up at anything that's acrylic (besides Plymouth Encore). 

I was also asked to leave one of their knitting nights, because I was working on a project that was not using yarn from their store.  I do understand the importance of that, and have bought quite a bit of yarn from them in the past, but that left a really bad taste in my mouth.  I can't afford to buy yarn exclusively from them, and they should understand that.

Just wanted to let you know so that you don't get yourself into a similar situation there.  I really do love the store, and the yarns that they carry.  They have an awesome selection of books as well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007 02:53:05 PM »

Hmmm, I'm not a fan of snobbery so let's hope I have a better experience.  Just prowled the Joann's near Capital Mall.  Not impressed.  Will probably have to do my fabric splurging on my random trips to Portland. 

Any great restaurant tips?  I dig mom & pop shops and tend to find myself in tiny hole-in-the-wall joints, but any local secrets would be a helpful start.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wildfyre
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007 03:12:28 PM »

I e-mailed Canvas Works and asked and they swear you can bring yarn from anywhere to their knitting nights etc. So maybe they changed that policy? :-)

For restaurants.. hmm.. I'll have to ask my guy. He grew up around here so he and his friends know just about every place to eat. I know Tugboat Annie's in Olympia is awesome for seafood, burgers, etc. Burgerville in Centralia is a chain of course but they have the best shakes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

JennBabe
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007 08:21:25 AM »

McMenamins (I can never spell that) just opened a place in Oly, it used to be the Spar Cafe... still called the Spar though.  It's a brewery chain, good food, burgers, beer. 

For a nicer place to go, Ramblin' Jacks is good too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennBabe
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007 08:26:32 AM »

I e-mailed Canvas Works and asked and they swear you can bring yarn from anywhere to their knitting nights etc. So maybe they changed that policy? :-)

They may have changed their policy, but they won't be seeing me in there again.  It really is a great store, and my friends still go knit there sometimes.  If you go, I hope you are treated much better than I was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Sushi Rice
How to Make Homemade Miso Soup
How to Make Hand Roll Sushi
How to Prepare Fish for Sushi
How to Make Sushi at Home
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...