A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Piggy Cake (w/ semi-tutorial)  (Read 2621 times)
Tags for this thread: vegan , fondant , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2007 05:43:30 PM »

A luau-themed birthday party is getting thrown at our house. The birthday-ee is into cake decorating, and made a lego-cake for the most recent birthday in the household.

I couldn't help myself.

I turned this:

into this:

I had a bunch of leftover fondant, so I made lettuce to hide my powdered-sugar mess:

HOW TO:

1. Get a cake mold vaguely resembling what you want to make and make a cake. I bought some pretty good cake release from the craft store, and it made it REALLY easy to get the cake out. In fact, all I had to do was turn the mold upside down and it just slid out. Instead of greasing and flouring the pan, just squirt some cake release in and brush it around.
   2. When the cake is done being baked (and this will probably take A LONG TIME if you have a deep mold), let it cool for about ten minutes, then cut off the curved top. This top is going to be your bottom, and it needs to be flat to sit right.
   3. After the cake has cooled, carve your shape. My cake ended up being in the oven for about an hour and a half, so it was nice and hard and easy to carve. Try to be as neat as possible.
   4. Ice it! All the "cake decorating" instructions I found said to use butter cream. I don't even know wtf butter cream really is, I just made some icing: 1/4 cup margarine, 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar, and about 2 TB soymilk, along with a splash of vanilla extract (since I was making vanilla frosting). Use a thin layer, and spread it as evenly as possible. Use the icing to smooth out any cake blemishes.
   5. While letting the icing set, get your FONDANT. You can get sugar fondant from a craft or baking supply store. I bought white, because I wanted to color it myself, but you can buy it pre-colored. A little bit of coloring goes a long way, and all you need to do is knead it in. When the fondant is the right color, get a rolling pin and roll it out so that it's slightly bigger than the surface of your cake (include the sides when measuring), and so that it's about 1/4 inch thick. Use powdered sugar to "flour" your surfaces so the fondant doesn't stick.
   6. VERY GENTLY place fondant on the cake. Smooth it out, make sure you don't have any air bubbles, all that good stuff. When you have the fondant on your cake all nice, carefully cut along the bottom to get the excess off.
   7. Use the excess to make embellishments, and use your icing to "glue" them to the cake.

Don't let this seem overwhelming if you want to give it a try!  I'd NEVER done something like this before, and without even a tutorial it was pretty easy.  Fondant is VERY forgiving.  So if you want to try, DO IT!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
MDodson
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007 06:03:33 PM »

Wow, that's so inventive, and adorable! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007 06:30:24 PM »

Genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
tasi292
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007 07:32:03 PM »

ACK!!! Your pig is RAW!!  Hehehehehe Grin  Coming from Hawaii, I don't think I've ever seen a pink pig at a luau Wink.  The cake is awesome makes me want to try fondant for my dd's birthday on Monday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Smile, it increases your face value." Smiley
"POCHACCO RULES!!"
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008 12:56:31 PM »

the tail is so cute!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoldenRose

Bring on June 18th! Bye Bye A level exams!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008 06:14:36 AM »

Loving the irony of a vegan pig cake!
Super yummy looking!
xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meggieloo2
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008 10:23:04 PM »

its SO adorable! it looks yummy too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaringToBeGreat

freckle, freckle, what makes you so special?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008 07:06:54 PM »

That is SO cute! I would have never thought of taking a car shaped cake and turning it into a pig! You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Estalle
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010 12:46:51 PM »

So im most certain that it was a vegan recipe for reasons like lactose intolerent people. But am i the only one who finds it ironic that its a piggy cake which your eating.?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Night Vision Effect in Sony Vegas
How To Make A Light Saber Effect In Sony Vegas
How to Create a Predator Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Create the Jumper Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Create a Simple Energy Ball in Tony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...