A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
338 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super easy Maternity skirt tutorial  (Read 28604 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , maternity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kokoleo
« on: August 10, 2007 12:00:42 PM »

I only have 3 weeks left and I'm not about to go out and buy any more maternity clothes, but I really want something new and comfortable to wear so last night I whipped up a new skirt. I took pictures along the way so I could share the "pattern" with other prego crafters.

First, find a skirt you like in your pre-pregnancy size and a t-shirt that matches.

Then, cut out a space for your big 'ole belly. Take that piece and line it up with the hem of the T-shirt and cut around it about an inch extra. (Only cut one side of the shirt in case you mess up and need more.)

Now, pin your panel to your skirt making sure to line up your hem and waistband.  Sew.

Then sew a straight topstitch to finish it off and make it sturdy.

You can wear it two ways. I don't recommend going topless though. I added an anchor embellishment at the bottom with some leftover T-shirt material.

I like this style because it maintains the fit and look of a regular skirt, yet has a compartment for your belly. I hope this helps some other pregnant fashionista out there!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009 07:04:09 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

discomeat
gagoos and fingerpuppets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007 12:05:17 PM »

Soooo cute and you made that look very easy! I can't waith until my belly looks like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.
Candreya
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007 12:06:18 PM »

That looks great! Definitely something I'm sure other pregnant woman would try! Awesome tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
that13 gurl13

I Love My Teddy!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007 12:08:54 PM »

that is sooo flippin cute.. congrats on the baby
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"'Oh sweet Jesus, a boob! She's making a BOOB!!!'" --InkFaery
"...with every good bye you learn"

"as long as Im alive, imma live illegal" ~ Sublime
Oh,Buttons!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007 12:37:00 PM »

i am very much going to do this when i have babies, Good job! and nice tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jasar31629
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007 01:02:19 PM »

That is awesome!  My sis is pregnant and she'll probably start begging for clothes sooner or later here!  BTW: you have such a cute pregnancy belly (mine was not!).  Congrats and best wishes in a few weeks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skyyblue
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007 01:23:41 PM »

SmileyYou did such a good job! And you look great! I am envious! If we weren't done with babies (3 boys was enough) I soo would be making this! I will definitely store the idea away for anyone I know in the future. Thank You so much for posting it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007 02:26:02 PM »

That looks super cute, and easy!  One question though, does it stay up?  That is my huge problem with most maternity bottoms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
kokoleo
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007 06:05:11 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! I haven't been on Craftster for a while - this place has grown! When I started making the skirt I grabbed the camera because I knew it would make an easy tutorial and someone else could benefit from it. Finding clothes that fit when you're pregnant sucks!

klum78, to answer your question, it stays up on me. The trick is to shape it to your body. Try it on before you topstitch it and make the panel smaller or larger accordingly. Also, since the backside of the skirt is fitted, it sits nicely on the butt and keeps it from falling down. 

I generally can't stand the feeling of a big tight panel that stretches across my midsection and lands practically under my boobs, so I like to wear it a little lower and have the option of pushing the fabric below the belly. If you want it tighter, you could feed some elastic through the t-shirt hem before you sew it to the skirt.

Here's another one I made when I was pregnant with my son 5 years ago:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007 06:07:32 PM by kokoleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007 07:29:06 PM »

klum78, to answer your question, it stays up on me. The trick is to shape it to your body. Try it on before you topstitch it and make the panel smaller or larger accordingly. Also, since the backside of the skirt is fitted, it sits nicely on the butt and keeps it from falling down. 

I generally can't stand the feeling of a big tight panel that stretches across my midsection and lands practically under my boobs, so I like to wear it a little lower and have the option of pushing the fabric below the belly. If you want it tighter, you could feed some elastic through the t-shirt hem before you sew it to the skirt.

Thanks so much for the response.  It's good to know before I actually tear into one of my skirts.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The New Zealand Night Sky Over Lake Tekapo (4 Minutes)
How to Make an Aerial Photography Rig with a Disposable Camera
How to Make a Bokeh Lens
How to Avoid Red Eye in Photos
How to Find Studio Photography Jobs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...