A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best yarn for soakers?  (Read 477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aleirey
« on: August 14, 2007 06:33:41 PM »

I want to make some soakers for a friend and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good yarn to use.  I know that you should use good ol'wool but I don't want to use anything too scratchy! Would baby alpaca work?  Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful."
John Constable
TAOJ

eating my strawberries

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007 09:47:31 AM »

My preference was always for 100% merino wool. I find it the less itchy of wools and it works great for soakers. Don't get the superwash, the way it is treated makes it so it doesn't seem to absorb as much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007 10:53:12 AM »

Lion Brand has a new cotton yarn called Nature's Choice Organic Cotton http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/naturesChoice.html

i just got some and it's cotton ball soft... hell it's alpaca soft!

i wouldn't use alpaca b/c you can only hand wash it and it's really drapey, especially baby alpaca. i made a cardigan for my mom using baby alpaca and as soft and squishy as it is, the item has so much drape that it almost resembles a cape when worn open. she's also not a fan of it being hand wash only, but she chose the yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
tajhia
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007 01:27:52 PM »

My preference was always for 100% merino wool. I find it the less itchy of wools and it works great for soakers. Don't get the superwash, the way it is treated makes it so it doesn't seem to absorb as much.

I have never had a problem using superwash wool for my soakers and I like the fact that it means that they are easier to wash when they need it.....  but did only ever use the superwash ones for daytime use.  I like merino wool too......

did you know that you can also get away with using acrylic to make soakers though?  they need to be washed everytime they are used though but they do work well - sort of like a fleece cover would and they don't need treating with lanolin either......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeydew
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007 01:40:26 PM »

Baby alpaca isn't so good, even though it's super soft.  It's too drapey and doesn't have any natural lanolin in it.  (Speaking from experience: one of my first knit soakers was from baby alpaca, and it never worked very well.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outrageous Beauty: Brow Feng Shui Treatment
The Best New Product To Conceal Dark Circles
Sweet DIY Body And Lip Scrub
Perfect Makeup On A First Date
How to Make Natural Lip Stain
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...