A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Self striping yarn with Kool-aid  (Read 3932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vildhavre
« on: August 10, 2007 01:07:52 AM »

Yes! I got a Kool aid kit in the DIY kit swap round 9 from Lizzle! I've dyed with other dyes, but never any food dyes or Kool aid, so it was perfect Grin I got four kinds of Kool aid, Knit picks 100% merino yarn (so soft!), instructions and easter egg dyes too!

As usual I'm really bad at following instructions (it was for hand painting with Kool aid), because I decided I wanted self striping yarn, another thing I've never tried before. And it is intended for a pair of socks, or maybe mittens.

So I started with knitting a swatch. To see how much yarn was needed for a row. From there I decided how long I wanted my colour strips to be. I finally settled on 5-6 rows. And I started to re skein the skein.. To keep it from tangling to much later, I tied every loop in three places.

Four different colours, so four smaller loops. Since I only have three chairs, the fourth loop got wrapped around something else, and thus is a bit shorter than the others.

When the skeining was done I mixed up the kool aid. It smelled great! Especially the orange.. In the middle is strawberry, then orange, lemon lime (I think) and Jamaica.

Since I had two skeins I decided to put the two smaller loops in the middle, and then one in each jar. So both skeins got the same colour repeats. You see the white parts where the yarn continues to the other loop in the skein? I was afraid the colours would bleed into each other there. But as we shall see..

After about 30min in the jars in boiling water (nothing else than kool aid and water in them). I took a spoon and checked if all the dye had adsorbed. The water was absolutely clear. BUT the white parts between the jars was almost as white as from the beginning Undecided The dye had been nice and stayed put in its jars.. Nothing else to do now than to take up the skeins, rinse them in the sink (I put cold water on the hot skeins, I tend to be careless like that Grin, but it didn't bleed at all) and then dry them.

After they had dried I re skeined them into one skein again.

A finished skein! And a yet-to-be-reskeined skein.

To see if my calculations had worked I had to knit a swatch.. It was so much fun to knit with these colours! The white parts I was afraid of is actually not very visible. They tend to be pink and blend in quite well with the other colours. The colours are a bit variegated since the yarn was crammed into jars and I didn't stir anything at all. But I like that. If I had wanted more solid colours I would have had bigger jars and stirred every now and then.

Now I just need to decide what to do with the yarn. Mittens or socks? Or if socks, what kind of socks? I've been thinking of Jaywalkers, they look good with self striping yarn. But I need to recalculate the pattern and I'm lazy Wink
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008 07:24:18 AM by Vildhavre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for a DIY handmade paper kit!
Phebee
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007 02:51:25 AM »

Wow beautiful! I love the colours so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahbird
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007 07:54:12 AM »

that turned out fantastic!  great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog - random crafty musings:
sarahbird.wordpress.com
the etsy - handspun yarn and more:
sarahbirdspins.etsy.com
hyerac
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007 08:20:40 AM »

Awesome!  I actually prefer the variations within each color... it looks more special that way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007 08:32:51 AM »

Very nice! I love it, it's beautimous. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vildhavre
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007 11:46:09 AM »

Thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

playinghooky
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007 01:30:13 PM »

Wow what a great tutorial.  Thanks for documenting all the steps.  I love the finished product.  The swatch you knit up is so perfectly spaced, how do you know how long to knit a row and keep it all the same color?  Does that make sense?  With variagated yarns, when I knit or crochet it, I always get colors all over the place, rather than perfect bands of single colors.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For the love of all things scrumptious or crafty
http://figswithbri.com/
inle_rah
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007 03:58:15 PM »

That is pretty sweet.  Good job, I really like the way the colors turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
mahkev
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007 08:59:14 PM »

aww fooey, the pictures are showing up is it just me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vildhavre
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007 02:04:56 AM »

Wow what a great tutorial.  Thanks for documenting all the steps.  I love the finished product.  The swatch you knit up is so perfectly spaced, how do you know how long to knit a row and keep it all the same color?  Does that make sense?  With variagated yarns, when I knit or crochet it, I always get colors all over the place, rather than perfect bands of single colors.  Great job!

Thanks!
I did some calculations before I dyed the yarn, and dyed it to become self striping, not variegated Wink
I started with knitting a swatch, measured it (7cm) measured around my foot (about 21cm) and then unraveled three rows of my knitting (21cm) and measured how much yarn that was (70 cm), so I knew how much yarn was needed for one round around my foot.
Then I measured around the legs of my chairs and found that if I wrapped the yarn around three legs that was 140 cm. And since I wanted about 6 rounds of one colour I wrapped three times around the three legs of every chair (as seen in the first picture). That made the connected loops. The yarn goes three times around one chair, then continues to the next and three times around that and so on until it arrives at the first and it all starts over again. And then I put each loop in a different jar with dye.
Then when I'm knitting my swatch again (which this time is knit in the round and fits perfectly around my foot) the result is stripes of colour which are about 6 rows long.

Ehrm, I hope that made at least some sense Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Party Appetizers - Warm Raspberry Brie
Holiday Party Appetizers - Artichoke Dip
Quick & Easy Holiday Party Appetizers
How to Finish Steaks on the Grill
Preparing and Grilling Steaks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...