A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spice Rack a la Martha Stewart  (Read 7480 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2004 07:01:42 PM »

My reaction when I saw this Martha version of a spice rack (link below) about a year ago: "Mmmmm....Spice rack....Agh! NO! $169! For a spice rack!  I can so make that."
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=product&id=product1133&site=&_requestid=72067
The Result:
The spice containers are candle tins from an online candle making shop.  I made the labels with my computer. I love sticker paper!  On one side is the name of the spice and on the back is a desciption.  For example, cumin says "Gives a distinctive warm flavor to a range of savory dishes from Asian, Mexican, Indian and Thai.  Commonly used in curries, satays and garam masala."  I found the descriptions at online spice shops. The rack was built to fit between my door and the cabinet. I matched the stain to the cabinet wood. Tip: Make sure your spice contains fit and can be easily removed.  If this space was 1/4 inch smaller a space, I couldn't have fit 30 spices.  It would have only been 20. Wink  The extra space at the bottom holds my measurement spoons too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004 07:15:20 PM »

wow...that looks so good!...i cant let my mom see that, shell want one...haha...it looks so much better than Martha's too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
ThatFalafelGirl
I'm an Alpaca!!!

Ambivalent about Adulthood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004 07:28:14 PM »

Dude! that's seriously awesome! yours looks great! i particularly like the descriptions on the back. And Holy Cow, is that a Butt-load of spices Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bats Need Friends!
teri
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004 07:32:55 PM »

That is soo nice. WOW. your labels look very nice - thier neat AND pretty and your plant looks very nice on top!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004 07:36:00 PM »

LOL! I made one for my mom also in exchange for a new circular saw and a cordless drill.  I work for power tools.   Cheesy

The sad thing is I had to build another one on the other side of the door because I have gotten even more spices in the last year.  I'm up to 50 containers total.  The chef down the street was amazed that I had almost every spice she has.  I don't even want to know wich ones are missing.  How my mom gets by with only 12 spices, I have no clue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ollin

Write your personal text here

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005 12:51:07 PM »

Is really beautiful, I have a small kitchen and I have lots of herbs and spices in different jars and i just love yours...

I was wondering if you would post the measures, i would love it, so i could make it myself   Grin

Greets and Happy New year Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything you can imagine is real.
                                  "Pablo Picasso"
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005 03:07:07 PM »

I used 31/2" wide boards that were 5/8" thick measured for the whole project.  The top and bottom pieces are 10.5" long and the sides (28.25") but-end up to them.  The shelves are set into the sides and are 9.75" long with the spacing between them at 21/8", which doesn't include the board width. The exception in the last shelf opening which is larger because I keep my measurement teaspoons there.  The tins measure 23/4" diameter and 17/8" tall and are actually for candle making.
Everything is just nail gunned in place with finishing nails except the top piece.  It is glued and screwed in places.  The spice rack is hung by small L-brackets attached to the top shelf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artgirl97
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005 04:57:09 PM »

I love this!

Would you be able to post your source for the tins?  I've been looking for them at a good price all over the place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ollin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005 05:27:23 PM »

Thanks for the measures, even when i get it better in centimeters, anyway i got for such cases a convertion program...

Is funny that you mentioned that you work for power tools, me too!! hehe
I was actually thinking on the horizontal version for my kitchen...

Anyway...you must love cooking as well...lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Pablo Picasso"
Ollin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005 05:29:47 PM »

t looks so much better than Martha's

It totally does, Martha's looks like for a drugstore...and NynaeveAS' looks cozy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Pablo Picasso"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Suzy Welch Reveals Her Motto
An Interview with Jennifer Weiner
Erick Setiawan Talks About Of Bees and Mist
David Grann Talks About The Lost City of Z
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...