A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News Announcement: Crafting your Halloween costume this year?  Enter it for a chance to win prizes!  Read the spooktacular details here.
Total Members: 308,408
Currently Running With Scissors:
263 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 8/10/07  (Read 4663 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

when I'm dreaming...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2007 09:16:13 PM »

More fun with the new wheel!!!  I tried a fiber I had never tried before (alpaca) and it was hard to spin but the yarn is soooo soft Smiley

Lots of pictures this week!

Alpaca yarn from fiber I got at my LYS about 150 yds from sport to (some) bulky mostly worsted

Tulips: about 5oz of wiltons dyed mill ends in colors inspired by a picture of yellow and violet tulips (i think) in a field 2 skeins. 1 skein is 180 yds and the other is 200 yds. About worsted weight I think

Next up is Melons, my only plied yarn this week.  About 5 oz of wiltons dyed mill ends in 2 skeins of 180 and 212 yds. worsted weight

And a group shot Smiley

I finally found a good use for that exercise bike  Cheesy

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 03:09:32 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This summer I am biking across America to raise money for Habitat for Humanity!! Check out my site to see how you can help the affordable housing cause!

If you don't knit, you must aquit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007 05:19:34 AM »

Nifty Knitter- Ha! That's what I use the treadmill for! I must say I love your style and the way you spin! Was that alpaca fiber 100% or a blend? I have over a lb. of Premium Alpaca First Cuts and they are simply beautiful, only problem, I hate spinning alpaca alone so I must blend...with my ashford student hand cards O_O BLISTERS!!! Lol! But again, great job Cheesy

I USED TO BE 007lucious_lips!!!!! I MOVED!

If you're happy and you know it say a swear; Boobs, Hiney, MITTENS!
Check out the blog for my photography and crafts...and don't forget silly high school drama
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007 05:39:56 AM »

ohh gorgeous yarns niftyknitter!

The colors in tulips are so pretty together.. and i LOVE the way melons came out. Yum!

((I'd use my treadmill for that too if I had one! lol ))
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007 05:42:24 AM »

I love alpaca!  I can't wait to go to the next fiber festival and get a bunch more.

Besides the viscose, I spun 2 fat skeins this week.  The first is some handdyed roving that I combed to get real long stetches of color, and then I plied with some brown and white Sheep Shed mill ends.  6.4 ounces, 267 yards:

The second is big single ply yarn.  I started by combing out 13 roving balls filled with all sorts of stuff - wool, mohair, alpaca, tencel, silk noils, and sparkle.

It became this yarn - 7 ounces, 216 (I think?) yards:

I kind of reminds me of a Persian carpet.  I can't wait to knit with it (and I think I'll eventually weave something with the first skein).

http://www.yarnzombie.net - http://twitter.com/Yarnzombie
Flickr fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarnzombie/
Photographyblog - http://www.craftbangboom.com/
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5363840
Will swap yarn/fiber/fabric for Polaroid/slide/120/weird film!  PM me
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007 06:06:50 AM »

This is 4oz 155yds.  This is from wool roving that I dyed and then split in half.  Jacki spun half and I spun half.  Then I plyed it up and you get Collaboration Yarn  Wink

Sneak Peak of next week...

A very silly place...
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007 06:29:49 AM »

Wow, beautiful yarns so far today!
Lufah - I absolutely love your second one, it's sooo pretty.
I haven't posted in a while, so I've got a few to share...

"Reflections," rambioullet

"Crush on You," corriedale

"Smooth Sailing," cotton, viscose, sari silk, and a few glass beads

Have a great Friday and weekend!

Saule - Design That Shines
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007 06:42:13 AM »

Smooth sailing looks so fluffy. Great yarns this week everyone.

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store

My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007 06:42:41 AM »

Very pretty so far everyone.

Lufahsman - I love the idea of a sneak peak of next weeks yarns!

This first yarn is 100% alpaca also.  It is corespun over some crochet cotton.  I also tried to give it a brushed look.

Next is maybe the ugliest yarn I have ever spun.  I made this skein to match some yarn I spun about a year ago.  I started to knit a felted box with the second yarn I ever spun and ran out on the last side of the box.  Thankfully I had some matching colors in my stash.  Although I was hating the yarn I'm rather happy with the way the box turned out.  I'll be posting the box when it dries.

Have a fibery week!

Ba Ba Booey

when I'm dreaming...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007 06:43:43 AM »

THanks theboythatspins! I like your style too, I always like reading your posts and comments!  Smiley It was 100% alpaca and was not that fun to spin but I loved how soft the result was.... if I had real hand carders (instead of my cheapo dog grooming brushes Undecided ) I would definitely want to card it the next time I spin some.
Lufah: I love the 2nd yarn!!! Did you use your home made hackle to blend all of those little roving balls? I love your DIY hackle and really want to make one when I get back to school.
Lufahsman: I love the colors in collaboration yarn and that is a sweet idea... i wish I had a significant other who spins (heck at this point i just wish I had a significant other, i can brainwash him into spinning later  Grin )
grayling40 your yarns look so soft, I just want to pet them through the screen, I often end up overtwisting singles and they never seem to look as soft as your two singles look!!! And I am jealous ov the cotton/viscose sari silk one, cotton is definitely the next fiber on my list to try, I just need to get up the courage (and $$) to get some... I am afraid of screwing it up!

This summer I am biking across America to raise money for Habitat for Humanity!! Check out my site to see how you can help the affordable housing cause!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007 08:48:43 AM »

Lufah, that second yarn is amazing!  Those are such beautiful colors!

Here's mine for this week, it's mill ends dyed with Wilton's.  I'm thinking about calling it "Everlasting Gobstopper".

the blog - random crafty musings:
the etsy - handspun yarn and more:
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...