A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone made a fabric-covered memo board with criss-cross front?  (Read 2354 times)
Tags for this thread: memo_board  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

polkadotmocha
« on: February 10, 2007 08:07:26 AM »

ok, there must be a technical name for these, but I want something like this:

and was wondering if anyone could give me some hints on home to make one? What is a suitable backing board, do you need to put padding underneath, what kind of tape do you use and how do you affix it at each 'cross'?

Thanks in advance  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autumh
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007 08:15:08 AM »

There are lots of ways to make one. I call it a memo board. I've made them using a prestretched canvas, like you would paint on. They are available at craft stores like Michaels or AC Moore for less than $5.00.
Cover the canvas with a layer of batting and staple to the back. (the canvas is stretched on a wood frame)
Then do the same with your fabric.
I use grograin ribbon and just lay it out in the design you want and staple it to the back also. Sew buttons on at the points where the ribbon intersects.
Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007 08:16:42 AM »

I'm about to make the same thing, they're called "french bulletin board"
Here are two tutorials I found
http://griffyslave.blogspot.com/2006/01/crafty-projects-french-bulletin-board.html
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/4h/publications/member_volunteer_forms/cd121.pdf
(you have to scroll down a bit in the pdf-file, or search it for "french bulletin board")

I plan on doing it by taking a back piece of fabric, thin batting, then my front piece of fabric.. laying the ribbon out on that and sew buttons in all the intersections. Then stapling it to a piece of ... I forget the name, the back of frames is often made by it...
and then attach it to a frame I bought for $3 Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007 08:20:55 AM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
wwrich
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007 09:31:39 AM »

I know I have seen them make those on a couple of different television shows, although, I honestly can't remember which ones they were....

I did a quick search on diynetwork.com and found this one:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_organizing_storage/article/0,2025,DIY_13769_2271195,00.html

This particular one suggests a plywood base, with batting and fabric.  You staple the fabric and ribbons on the back, then use decorative tacks on the front at the "crosses".

There are 3 things that worry me about this method.  First, is the weight of the piece of plywood -- you had better make sure you anchor that sucker to the wall pretty well.  Second is that if you use thinner plywood (to minimize the weight), will the tacks and staples poke out the other side?  Watch for staples on the back that could cut or scratch you if you rub against the board, and tacks that stick out the back that could damage the wall behind it.

Third, in my little brain, "bulletin board" and "push pin" just go together.  A piece of plywood isn't going to accept push pins.  I realize that on this type of board, you aren't supposed to use pins, but I'm not sure if I could resist the temptation.....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007 09:33:24 AM by wwrich » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
pearsonchick
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007 02:44:30 PM »

Hi there...

I've made them with the canvas frame which worked really well for tucking things behind the ribbons...and also on corkboard for both tucking and pinning things to the board.

I know here (canada) I just got a roll of corkboard and cut it to fit the back of the canvas so it sat inside the frame.

Good luck and post pics if you make one! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.: even a broken clock is right twice a day :.

Dotee swap!
Garden supply swap!
shastaw2006
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007 02:05:10 PM »

I did a really easy, but kinda bad quality one. I didn't use a sewing machine, so it's held together with duct tape and bad hand sewing.

I just took a piece of cardboard, a towel, the color fabric I wanted, some ribbon, and some buttons. I folded the towel in half to fit over the cardboard, covered that with the fabric, and then duct taped it to the back of the cardboard. then I put the ribbon across the way I wanted, taped it to the back, and hand sewed a button at every crossing.

not something you can move all over, but it works.

Having wood and a staple gun would probably work much better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007 06:00:39 PM »

I used an old bulletin board, covered with a piece of an old blanket, covered THAT with pretty fabric and tacked some grosgrain and one times used fabric-covered elastic. I like the elastic but it was a lot of work covering it with fabric, lol!  Very pretty, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007 07:11:16 AM »

i've made so many of these - some i've done with thrifted bulletin boards (the cork kind with wood backing, and others with cardboard fitted into a large frame.  i usually use rolls of batting, though fusible interfacing would work equally well...  so i just wrap the batting tightly around the frame, staple, wrap the fabric around, staple, and then place the ribbon.  the inside edges are usually stapled, then i use upholstery tacks at each cross.

i love these - so easy and more elegant than a corkboard.... plus they're really easy to change with your decor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Duct Tape Tote Bag
How to Craft a Duct Tape Rose
How to Craft a Duct Tape Tie
How to Craft a Duct Tape Hat
How to Craft a Duct Tape Halloween Bag
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...