A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 308,226
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any ideas for meals with fish that aren't so fishy!?  (Read 5861 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrossStitchinMomma
« on: August 09, 2007 02:53:51 PM »

My hubby and I want to start eating healthier and fish is going to be one of the main staples in our diet. We don't really want fried fish because thats unhealthy. So any baked, grilled, etc recipies would be welcomed! I need to add some flavor to these fishy dishes. Thanks!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/CraftyMomma

MY ETSY STORE IS NOW OPEN!!!
CUSTOM HAND DYED YARN!

Gorgeous hand-dyed yarn! TwilightKnits -

www.twilightknits.etsy.com
Pheather

I am full of p and v....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007 09:30:06 AM »

What kind of fish do you like?   That would help with the recipes. 

I love love love salmon.  Two ways I make it is with dill butter, and with Yoshida's teriaki sauce.  I love to grill them in some foil on my bbq.  hmm, let me think of any other ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pearlescent
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007 10:18:56 AM »

Salmon with Lemon and Parsley Couscous is lovely.

Simply grill or steam a salmon steak (per person) and serve with Couscous to which a little lemon juice and zest has been added along with a wee bit of chopped Parsley. We also have roasted Tomatoes with it... nice, light and very healthy.

... and I don't really like fish at all Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GrandTheftUno
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007 10:23:07 AM »

salmon is also really nice with a maple glaze, just brush on a little maple syrup (not table syrup, go for the good stuff) during grilling, broiling or whatever. Its a very versatile fish

talapia filets are nice, and they cook up quick. Lemon and dill are good staples, and coarse ground salt and pepper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gigiallin
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007 11:06:08 AM »

I would definatly recommend tilapia or snapper if you aren't a fan of fish. They have a lighter texture and milder taste that salmon or tuna (both can be kind of heavy).  Both are good baked with a little butter and Cajun season salt or try poaching them and topping with some dill butter.
Here's a great poaching recipe http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/92/Poached-Fish
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007 12:29:58 PM »

I would recommend tilapia as well! It's very mild when it comes to 'fishiness'. I also cook a lot of salmon in foil on the grill. I just sprinkle it liberally with dried herbs and salt and pepper, wrap in foil and grill away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anodyne
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007 01:51:14 PM »

Salmon with Lentils and Orange Basil Dressing is really tasty, easy, and fast. And not super "fishy." I found the recipe in Good Housekeeping...

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups water
1 cup brown lentils
Salt and ground black pepper
4 pieces salmon fillet with skin (about 6 ounces each)
1 to 2 navel oranges
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
2 medium shallots, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped

Directions
 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In 2-quart saucepan, combine water, lentils, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, spray 13" by 9" glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange salmon in prepared dish, skin side down. Sprinkle with teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Roast salmon 15 to 20 minutes or just until opaque throughout.

3. While salmon is roasting, prepare orange-basil dressing: From oranges, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1/3 cup juice. In small bowl, whisk orange peel and juice with mustard, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Stir in basil.

4. In nonstick 10-inch skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 2 minutes, stirring. Stir in lentils. Remove skillet from heat; stir in parsley and half of dressing (about 1/4 cup). Spread lentil mixture on platter. Arrange salmon on top of lentils and drizzle with remaining dressing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007 04:39:02 PM »

i also like tilapia...i recommend breading and baking it, which can be done in all sorts of healthy ways (just plain bread crumbs should work, if nothing else), and then eating it with macaroni and cheese (you could probably use real cheese, but i use kraft or velveeta boxed stuff), and steamed broccoli. the three flavors (fish, broccoli, cheese) really compliment each other, especially if you dip the bites of fish in the cheese.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
mightymunchkin
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007 01:02:56 PM »

My favorite way to have fish is currently this:

TILAPIA PUTTANESCA  (or Tilapia Vera Cruz--basically the same thing--tomato sauce w/ olives, capers, garlic, etc.)

1.  Heat up a jar of Puttanesca sauce  (or a really good, rich tomatoey spaghetti sauce.)

2.  Pan-fry some tilapia filets in olive oil, adding salt and pepper to the fish somewhere along the way.

3.  Serve the tilapia either over or under the sauce. 

So easy and SO GOOD!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugasuga

Bring on the glitter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007 01:04:23 PM »

Salmon grilled on cedar planks...MMMMMMM.

Cod is easy, and not too fishy. It's really tasty poached, or broiled with a good seasoning.

I really like teriyaki on fish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...