A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painting with acrylic paint on wood. "HELP!!!"  (Read 1463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tenille
« on: August 09, 2007 10:32:14 AM »

Ok, I'm going to paint a 4ft X 4ft pic for my brother. he requested the size. An artist I know said if it's going to be that big I should paint it on a thin sheet of plywood and then just have him frame that. Now I've found the wood, it's about 1/4 of an inch thick and I have acrylic paint. My question is, "Do I need to do anything to the wood before I paint on it?" I draw and sketch and I'm not too bad on the street with chalk, but painting is completely out of my confort zone. I don't know a thing about how to get started. I can do the actual painting fine I think, its the beginning stages that I'm not too clear on. Somebody please help me!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007 10:53:52 AM »

I did these (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=157033.0). They started out as unfinished wooden shapes and I just put the acrylic paint right onto them, without a primer or anything.

I may have misunderstood your question though Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
Tenille
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007 11:05:05 AM »

Nah, you got the question in one. I don't know why the word "primer" escaped my brain while I was typing though. lol. go figure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
jessvict
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007 11:33:35 AM »

you might want to primer it first so that the paint doesnt seep into the wood. then you wont need to do two coats. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gallstones
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007 11:53:18 AM »

Right. The purpose of the primer is to seal the surface--ie, the wood.

Your expensive acrylic paints will perform better on primer and you won't need to use as much--because, as jessvict said--the first coat won't be soaking into the raw wood. A 4x4 painting is going to use a lot of paint. Those little hobby sized bottles aren't going to be enough. You are going to need large 150ml tubes or 8oz pots at least if you aren't using pint cans.

If you like the look af the raw wood, there is clear gesso. Or you could use another WATER based clear coat as the primer. Just sand it afterwards with fine grit to give it enough tooth to grab on to the paint.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007 11:58:02 AM by gallstones » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenille
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007 12:16:57 PM »

You guys rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Constant Dreamer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007 05:49:36 PM »

I paint on wood a lot and always use Gesso first. Two coats just like a canvas. It works great. Have fun wih your painting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007 11:05:23 PM »

i did this one wood without priming..i just painted it right out of the pacage..i wattered down the accrylic...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenille
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007 07:24:07 AM »

THose are gorgeous appleshannon. Now if I can find a way to get my giant piece of plywood home (won't fit in the car) i'll be good to go.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tenille
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007 05:53:40 PM »

Ok ,I'm a good ways into this now. And after having dropoped the giant piece of plywood on my foot and sitting on a bottle of acryliv paint  Tongue here it is so far. I'll post in a new thread when it's totally done, but so far so good.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Deconstructed Rose Lip Gloss Library Review
Eye Makeup Tutorial: Applying Eye Shadow
Hard Candy Take Me Out Blue Liner Review
Body Bronzing Spray Tutorial
Trainer Trials: Boxing Basics
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...