A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,328
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creating your own graph - some help needed!  (Read 749 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 09, 2007 08:53:41 AM »

Hi guys!

I cross stitch occasionally in my spare time - I mostly knit and loom now.

Anyway, I'm in an exchange and I thought it would be totally cute to make a cross stitch bracelet for my partner.

My problem? Everytime I take what appears to be a clear, good looking image and import it into PCStitch Pro, it ends up all blurry and the colors varigated.

I don't do this kind of thing too often - I usually make up my own patterns, but I was trying to get this one dead on since its a Disney creature (Mushu the dragon).

If anyone has any tips to help me figure out how to do it better, I would be super, super appreciative!

CFBandit  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007 11:09:30 AM »

You could do it the old fashioned way.  Take some graph paper and lay it over your desired picture, and trace.  If you dont have a huge stash of floss, take your picture to wherever you buy floss and match it up as best you can there.  One thing to keep in mind is how many squares per inch are on your graph paper, and how many squares per inch there are on your fabric.  That can always be fixed by decreasing or increasing the size of your design that you are tracing. 

I don't know if this is helpful or if you were looking for techincal advice on how to work with that website.  I wish i could help you with that but I'm so computer illiterate it's scary!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanderingpanda
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007 09:50:48 AM »

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the workings of Photoshop or other computer based imaging programs, but using that may be very helpful.

When I look at cross stitching patterns, I look at it like I look at pixel art.  So if you're able to find a great small icon of Mushu that you like (something that's roughly 40x40 pixels, for example), that's basically your cross stitch pattern.  So if you zoom in very close, possibly 500% on an icon like that, you can see that each pixel is essentially each stitch.

Instant pattern in my eyes.

You'll have to guess the colors on your own, but I'm sure you have a great eye for that kind of thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007 02:26:56 PM »

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the workings of Photoshop or other computer based imaging programs, but using that may be very helpful.

When I look at cross stitching patterns, I look at it like I look at pixel art.  So if you're able to find a great small icon of Mushu that you like (something that's roughly 40x40 pixels, for example), that's basically your cross stitch pattern.  So if you zoom in very close, possibly 500% on an icon like that, you can see that each pixel is essentially each stitch.

Instant pattern in my eyes.

You'll have to guess the colors on your own, but I'm sure you have a great eye for that kind of thing.

D'uh!  Grin I use Photoshop  all the time and I hadn't even thought about that! I also found a tutorial online, but it didn't make them look real great either, though it did simplify the coloring so the image looks a lot easier to construct (I'm really not going to do a fifteen color masterpiece for something that's going to be at most an inch or two wide.

Thanks guys! If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. I'll try to post pics of it up after so you can see how it turned out.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
crossstitchpro
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007 11:32:59 AM »

I've been drawing cross stitch patterns for years. To draw a pattern, first draw the basic outline on graph paper, then tweak it until it looks the way you want. Next fill it in with the correct colors, adding shading if you want.
One technique I use is to outline different parts of the pattern with complimenting colors. (for example: if you are stitching a character that has a red hat, outline the hat in very dark red. If the character has blue pants, outline the pants in dark blue. It's a way to add more shading and give your design depth.)

Let us know how it turns out.

Lori
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My favorite website for personal reasons!

http://crossstitchpro.com
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wavy Holiday Hairstyle
How to Get a Day to Night Hairdo
Adding Accessories to Your Hairstyle
Homemade Hair Treatments for Oily Hair
InStyler Hair Straightening Treatment
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...