A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,650
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question: strong tote.  (Read 1297 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ilikepinkrain
« on: August 09, 2007 12:46:40 AM »

i really want to make a bag for school. but im afraid it will rip right when i pick it up from the weight from all my junk. is there any way i could make it stronger/sturdier?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LSTinVA
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007 04:29:49 AM »

I use tapestry/upholstery weight fabric remnant pieces for tote bags  Smiley  They definitely hold their shape and hold up better for heavy use.  I am lucky because there is a really nice fabric store in the DC area (G Street) and they have really nice remnant upholstery stuff for $7/yd!!

Also, not sure what design you may have in mind, but if it's an open-top tote and you are using webbing-type strap material for handles, use one long piece and make it go around the bottom of the bag, stitching it down all around.  Make sure the join is NOT on the very top or very bottom, but somewhere on the body, and reinforce it  with X stitches where the handles leave the bag (at the top).  You can also add a nice reinforced bottom  Smiley

See the Land's End tote for ideas:  http://www.landsend.com/pp/OpenTopTotes-66223_118740_1341.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_66221
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007 11:06:10 AM by LSTinVA » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wontonzero
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007 08:37:28 AM »

You can use cotton twill or canvas, too. Cotton twill is pretty durable-I use it a lot in my designs. Canvas has more of a plain, rugged look.  Both can be embellished with so many things (patches, embroidery, fabric paint, stencils, pins, etc). I recommend lining it with a durable cotton fabric and perhaps use something for an interfacing. I'd personally go for a sew in with a little loft to give the bag some definition. Also, LSTinVA had a great idea for handle placement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007 11:04:44 AM »

I'm surprised at how strong just regular fabric is.  I've made my daughter several purses using cotton and regular thread.  Amazingly, all of the bags have held up fine and she carries a load.  catdaddytn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
ilikepinkrain
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007 11:18:00 AM »

thank you so much.
i was also wondering if using a zig zag stitch on the seams would make it stronger.
and if so, is it the regular stitch and then over it again with the zig zag stitch?
haha. sorry for all the questions.
i just want to make sure that this bag with hold up because it is my first bag that i am make that is going to carry a lot of heavy stuff.
thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LSTinVA
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007 12:28:48 PM »

Zig Zag is a good idea -- also, make sure the thread you use is suitable for the fabric!  Cheap thread can ruin a nice project, so be sure to get what is appropriate!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gwydion
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007 08:07:35 AM »

It will also help if you finish the seams (sides and bottom, at least) with a flat-felled or French seam-- this gives you two lines of stitching, thus a safety net if one line of stitches gets pulled out.

If that's too awkward for the type of bag you're doing, you can "fake" a flat-felled seam by pressing both raw edges of the seam to one side, and then topstitching 1/4 inch from the seam itself. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007 11:10:12 AM »

i really would recommend french seams for the whole thing

basically, for each weight-bearing seam (sides and bottom, mainly), sew the seams the WRONG way, like, right-sides out, first, then trim your fabric as close as you can without making it fray right through the stitches, and turn it wrong-sides-out and sew that seam again, enclosing the first seam's allowance. your seam will be bulky, and almost look like piping from inside, but if the seam breaks, there is a backup seam right inside it that has never had any weight on it yet, so it isn't already about to break also.

plus, this way, if a seam does break, it's really easy to fix when you get home, because the fabric doesn't get all screwed up...

^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
euapap
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007 01:37:59 AM »

You can also reinforce the weight baring parts. Or make tripple stitches
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LSTinVA
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007 05:21:19 PM »

Oooh, I forgot to mention that one way to eliminate a major seam is to use one long rectangle that is folded in half so that the fold is on the bottom.  This works if your pattern is such that nothing appears "upside down."  Stripes and repeated geometric patterns are good for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Guide to Wearing Your Little Black Dress
The Fit Housewives of Arizona Photo Shoot
How to Wear Faux Leather Trousers and Fur
Kendall and Kylie Jenner Launch Steve Madden Collection
How to Rock the Pastel Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...