A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first attempt at stuffed animals  (Read 1138 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

allyinthevalley
« on: August 08, 2007 09:15:27 PM »

Well, my goal for Christmas this year is to make everyone I know presents instead of buying anything. There are a lot of kids in my family, and so when I found this old pack of little stuffed animal patterns at a 2nd hand store, I picked it up. They were kind of ugly, so I had to come up with my own embroidery on it and change a thing or two. This is what I came up with. (Sorry for the less-than-perfect photography. I'm limited to a webcam right now.)

You can't REALLY tell here, but the fawn has pink dots embroidered on her backside.

Okay, they're kind of sad, I know. But I'm figuring out how to do them better, and I have quite a few more to do. Next I'm going to do a giraffe. I also think I'll do a few of the fawns because even with mistakes, I thought this one turned out cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

four-eyed_girl
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007 10:33:01 PM »

all i could think of when i saw these was: CUTE! then you wrote that you thought they were sad. i think they're awesome. keep working on them and try different stuff. see what makes you think they're less sad. you'll have this down in no time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katie, your local 4-eyed girl
Mienna
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007 07:26:44 AM »

I think they're great, the embroidery is very creative. Cheesy I'm envious of your thrift store pattern find. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007 08:59:26 AM »

I think they are cute, and very good for first stuffies.  I really like the embroidery details.  Out of curiosity, why do you think they are sad? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007 12:36:40 PM »

If you're bummed beacsue thy're flat instead of 3 dimensional that's a really easy thing to fix.
Take your pattern and lay it on a piece of paper. Then trace the legs from the center of the belly to about an inch up the body.
then remove your pattern peice and draw a line straig across.
Cut the pattern with the striaght line on a fold and you have an instant leg gussest!
some stuffies you have to add darts to the back side of this to make them stand but try that first and see if you like them better.
With the elephant you may have bit more work since it looks like his legs are different in the front. But you can do the same thing for him too you'll jaut have to tweek the original pattern a bit to make two differnet sides so the gusset will work. And for the gusset on him trace one pattern then the other and stitch the two flat peices together to make his legs open.
since he's a profile stuffie you could also ad a pointed oval in between the head section to give him a more dimensional face. Or just cut a long strip of fabric that will go from the tip of his nose to right where the gusset for his belly goes.

Personally I love these flatter old stuffed toys becasue I think they have more character than many store bought cookie cutter toys.
I love your embriodery and the dots are super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklez
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007 03:08:12 PM »

fawns and elephants! Two of my favorites. So cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allyinthevalley
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007 04:21:06 PM »

I think they are cute, and very good for first stuffies.  I really like the embroidery details.  Out of curiosity, why do you think they are sad? 
I guess you can't really see it in the pictures (unless you know they're there) but there are some very obvious sewing mistakes when you look at them up close. Plus my elephant's head looks... funny...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allyinthevalley
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007 04:22:13 PM »

If you're bummed beacsue thy're flat instead of 3 dimensional that's a really easy thing to fix.
Thanks! I'll try those tips on my giraffe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007 06:30:39 PM »

Another cute from me. I love the fawn especially. How lucky to find those vintage patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeystarr

i just glued my fingers together...again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007 06:53:24 PM »

i love the deer! soo cute! i bet these would look awsome in colored fabric or felt! for the deer you could use like a light brown print or really anything! awsome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Balloon
How to Fold an Origami Box
How to Fold an Origami Crane Part 1
How to Fold an Origami Crane Part 2
How to Fold Your own MacBook Air Origami
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...